• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I hope this isn't the same guy....

How can anybody under like, 85 y.o. drop a line like that in 2009 and think its an acceptable explanation? And this guy is a liberal?

I'm sure many of the regular patrons of this 'private swim club' are racist themselves. Didn't one of them say "whats with all these black kids?" The scene from Caddyshack come to mind - when all the kids storm the pool and upset all the stuck of rich white country club members.

There is two sides to every story but this doesn't look very good to me.

You really think Jackson will somehow link this to the PDGA?

Let's hope not.

I consider Jackson, Sharpton, and those like them to be just as bad. Race pimps is what I like to call them.

There are some issues that do involve discrimination, ala the topic at hand, but not everything has to do with race.

The post about this issue just popped up on the PDGA forum under the marketing section. Will be interesting to see what transpires.

You would think a competent Marketing Director would know to be careful with words...makes you wonder.

Fritz said:
The post about this issue just popped up on the PDGA forum under the marketing section. Will be interesting to see what transpires.
Brian Graham responded to it in less than an hour:
PDGADirector said:
As a person from a multi-ethnic background who has worked very closely, traveled and shared accomodations with John Duesler many times over several years, I can unequivocally say that the allegations of racism against him are absolutely untrue. It is unfortunate that the media has taken one ill advised word from his statement and run with it attempting to paint him as a racist. John Duesler is a man with impeccable character who deplores racism and it is criminal what is being done to him. I stand behind John and his family with my support and prayers and I urge everyone to withhold judgement and refrain from making uninformed comments. This is a media witch hunt and the truth will eventually come out.
So it sounds like the ED has his back. I really think the ED needs to stay off the message board.

I'm not saying the guy is a racist, just that what he said was pretty dumb and racist.

What he said was 100% racist. He should have just said this group paid to use our facility deal with it.
Instead he had diarrhea of the mouth, and now it's coming down hard with a hammer.
All the Major News networks are running the story now, so the "witch hunt" just got a heck of a lot bigger.

Maybe it's his non-direct (albeit socially condemning) way to tell people about disc golf. Research him, find out about disc golf.

It would be nice to see his whole quote before condemning him.

I've known JD for years - and gotta echo what Brian Graham has stated.

The notion that someone like John could be considered a racist is pure fabrication. This is a guy who has voluntarily run numerous DG clinics for (almost exclusively minority) kids in the inner city of Philadelphia. And given countless volunteer hours for DG at virtually every level you could imagine.

Did he have a poor choice of words? Maybe he did.

Or maybe the reporter made his words out to serve the purpose he wanted. But of course that would be impossible as the media are the pillars of our society, right? Reporters never take any creative license when "quoting" someone do they?

For all of you that would jump on the media bandwagon and condemn this man - think a little harder, learn the whole story or the REAL story before you pass judgement.

How much attention do you figure this story would get if the headline read "Minority camp kids have to find new place to swim due to Overcrowding". How about zero.

craigg said:

The notion that someone like John could be considered a racist is pure fabrication. This is a guy who has voluntarily run numerous DG clinics for (almost exclusively minority) kids in the inner city of Philadelphia. And given countless volunteer hours for DG at virtually every level you could imagine.

Or maybe the reporter made his words out to serve the purpose he wanted. But of course that would be impossible as the media are the pillars of our society, right? Reporters never take any creative license when "quoting" someone do they?

For all of you that would jump on the media bandwagon and condemn this man - think a little harder, learn the whole story or the REAL story before you pass judgement.

How much attention do you figure this story would get if the headline read "Minority camp kids have to find new place to swim due to Overcrowding". How about zero.

i think all of us want to hear his side of the story. it is easier to believe what the media says when you do not know a person. for those do know him, you are more inclined to hear from him before you pass judgement. I think everyone here has agreed that the quote from the media was out of line and we all hope for his sake it was taken out of context. but it is hard to see any other way that statement could be taken, in or out of context.

zj1002 said:
craigg said:

i think all of us want to hear his side of the story. it is easier to believe what the media says when you do not know a person. for those do know him, you are more inclined to hear from him before you pass judgement. I think everyone here has agreed that the quote from the media was out of line and we all hope for his sake it was taken out of context. but it is hard to see any other way that statement could be taken, in or out of context.

True. That's what makes it hard. When you look at the statement, which appears to not be taken out of context, it's bad, very bad, choice of words.

been looking at the links to various papers on cnn about this. more and more it looks like he had a terrible choice or words and it was taken way out of context/intent.

Bad choice of words, or out of context doesn't change the fact that the kids were ejected. I'll add this as another reason to NOT join the pdga, as if there wasn't enough already. Look, racism exists, always has always will. That it comes from a source like this just proves that no institution is exempt. I guess his PhD must stand for 'pizza hut delivers'. What a tool.

The latest that I have heard on this incident, was that JD was actually outvoted by his club members/board in revoking the agreement with the camp - making it appear he was actually fighting for their right to be there (which is much more like the JD that I know).

So regardless of how statements were couched or reported by the press - you guys calling him a tool - are the tools. Stop acting like lemmings and think for yourself

It is possible for such poor choice of words, for a Marketing guy, to get him close to derogatory impliment candidacy. Sucks for him.

The defamation of character suit should be a hoot though. Maybe the verdict could be celebrated by triumphant MTAs on the courthouse steps.

"I'm sorry but you people are going to make our pool taste like chocolate and I'm going to have to ask you to leave."
my black friend would laugh at that, so lighten up your ire ;)

Sadly, it doesn't much matter what the reality of the situation is. The PERCEPTION that people are going to get is that JD is the problem here, as it seems the swim club is throwing him under the bus for this one. Since the quote and all has already made the mass media <including CNN>, I'm afraid his goose is already cooked. I'm not sure what impact this will all have against his role in the PDGA <I understand he's in charge of marketing and actually snagged us a media truck which would allow for live satellite broadcasts of major events>. It may even adversely effect his role in local Philly DG events.

Latest posts