• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I just signed up for my first tournament

MikePD

Par Member
I just signed up for my first tournament and I decided to compete in the intermediate group. Does anyone have any words of wisdom such as tips on what to bring and what to expect? I was wondering if i should bring my big bag so i have more to throw or my small bag so I dont get tired. I really don't know what to expect so any advice would be sweet. Thanks

Jusr relax and have fun. Dont expect to shoot a great score. But who knows you just might. :D

stay calm and enjoy the atmosphere 8)

big bag or small bag is up to you but quads definitely help. i played my first tournament with a single strap and my left shoulder was killing me by the end of the first day.

it's super-tempting to try to throw tricky, impressive drives but a lot of times conservative fairway golf will give you lower scores.

expect a slower pace of play than you're used to -- if the tourney fills up then there will probably be 10-15 minute backups at times.

don't experiment during a tournament. throw shots you know. if you're used to throwing multiple alternative shots during casual play you might want to force yourself to play every-shot-counts golf for a while.

Make sure you're clear on start times and breaks. My first tournament we were told (by the TD's girlfriend I believe?) that the lunch break was 1 hour from the last card. Well, I'm pretty sure it ended up being from the first card, cause we got back in about 45 minutes and everyone was teeing off 2 minutes later. Of course our starting hole was on the opposite side of the course, so we had to run across about 5 fairways.

OK, you need to bring plenty to drink, and plenty of snacks. These will keep your energy level up during the rounds. Make sure you eat well, even if you're nervous, try and eat a good meal the night before and good breakfast. Eat light meals between rounds. If you have a light camp foldup stool it will come in useful if you get backed up on tees during the rounds, which is very likely to happen. Good luck!

just signed up for my first too. been playin for like 4 weeks but whatever im goin to have fun and learn.

The only advice I can give you is don't try to go all out. If you want a good score, play it safe and play it smart. If you are outside of your comfortable putting range, lay up or simply putt so that your disc doesn't fly too far past the basket. Missing return putts really hurts! You'll often find yourself wanting to go for it, but it may hurt you.

Watch out for OB areas if there are any. They're there for a reason. Sometimes they are placed there to make you think about your throws. Sometimes it's better to go short on your first drive and then lay up over the OB instead of trying to go for the kill on your first throw. Also plan your throws. It's not always best to just gun for the basket, sometimes you want to play a route that's more to the left or to the right of a straight line just to make your next shot easier. Same with up shots. If the basket is on the incline try to place your upshot where you are more comfortable putting from (uphill, downhill, etc). If there's an elevated pin, lay up! Try to avoid going for the chains unless you are sure you can make it.

There must be something in the air, because I am playing in my first tournament next weekend. Thanks for all the great advice. :D

My first tournament I finished last out of 144 people, definitely focus on having fun, meeting new disc golfers and the like, take some time to watch the best players if you can, even if it's just practice before the round.

Don't be afraid to use your go-to shot as much as you want. When I play casual rounds I'll try shots that I know I'm not quite as good at but when I play the occasional tournament I find myself throwing lots of hyzers with overstable discs.

I also find that I use my go-to discs a lot more, too. I'm not worried about beating in a backup Roc or trying to see how far I can push a Gazelle, I'm staying way inside my comfort zone. That being said, have backups of your important discs. Losing your go-to mid when you throw it on 80% of the holes and don't have a backup sucks. This might dictate which bag you use.

It's probably not a bad idea to play a few rounds this way before the tournament so you're a bit more comfortable with your shot selection. Shoot for par, take birdes when they present themselves, especally in intermediate. I've only played a few tournaments but in intermediate I've found that it's more about not getting bogies than it is getting birdies. I also find my enjoyment level and performance increases the less I care about how well I place, but that could just be me.

It kinda depends on if you are driving yourself, or riding with someone else. If you're riding along, you need to be a little more minimal. You should be able to fit everything you need into your bag and maybe a small backpack.

1. Dont throw new plastic, or shots that you havent practiced much. Throw what you know. This might be 20 discs or might be only 5.
2. Bring backups for what you know, in case you lose something.
3. Get a fold-up stool or something similar. You will spend a lot of time waiting, and sitting on the ground sucks.
4. Bring lots of water and snacks.
5. If you dont know the area, or dont feel like eating fast food, bring a lunch.
6. Bring extra socks and an extra shirt.
7. Bring suntan lotion, even if it isnt super bright out. You're spending all day outside.
8. If you have a rulebook, bring it.
9. Make sure your discs are marked.
10. Make sure you have at least one mini.

During the round:
1. Dont talk or move around while other people are throwing. This goes for people on other holes also, if you are within earshot or in their line of sight.
2. Watch the lines that other people throw, and use their shots to gauge the wind.
3. Double, triple, quadruple check your score when the round is done. Two stroke penalty if it's wrong!!!
4. MAKE SURE you check the board for what hole you are really supposed to start on. There's always one or two idiots who look at it really quickly and mistake themselves for someone with a similar name. Then you're out at the wrong hole with 2 minutes left before tee-off and they have no idea where they're supposed to be. Its not hard, just look for YOUR name!!
5. if you dont know, ask!! This goes for anything. Rules, course, OB, whatever.

Above all, remember that you're there to have fun! Too many people take it too seriously and spend all day pissed off that they arent making great shots. You probably wont shoot as well as you would casually or in a league. Dont let it stress you out.

Great posts! Great advice!

I have only played in about 6 sanctioned tourneys and learned alot of these things the hard way.

What I can't stress enough is the advice about throwing discs you know and throwing shots you know! I clear out my bag when i go to a tourney. That way I'm not tempted to try a new disc that I've been working with or a new shot I've been working on.

Protect what you have. I'm an intermediate player and have noticed that in tourneys bogeys and doubles are a lot more common and birds are a lot more rare. Throwing for pars and "laying up" puts at the edge of your range is a good thing.

Finally don't get caught up in what your group is shooting. I know this ties into all the "play your own game" advice from above, but its still good to see it written out. A couple weeks ago I played in 2 b-tourneys and was grouped with the top 2 guys in the first round of both. They both killed me and I was a little bummed, but when we got done, I found out they were WAY ahead of the pack and I was on the second card.