• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Help] i need a long straight driver that will turn at the end.

150-200 DX stingray thrown soft and smooth with a bit of hyzer release, or a beat putter of your choice

200-250 flat X comet is prolly the easiest thing to find, hit a few trees and youre good, star mako maybe but i feel like theyre touchy at high speeds and turn more abruptly rather than slowly drift right, coyote is good here too

250-300 lots of options depending on your power and skill level here,
Leopards, domey FDs, not super familiar with DC fw's but maybe an XS, or a zombee. I use an M4 on a hyzerflip around this range. Beat Dx rocs are really where its at in this range imo

300-350 light weight sidewinder, there are other molds im not familiar with but i know their purpose is to have some high speed turn or to be legit under stable at this range, fury and saint have been mentioned, Mvp Amp, Z Avenger SS

350+ hard shot to make if we are talking truly straight flight and not able to start out left of the target, pretty much all of the suggestions at this range are beat up versions of whatever disc you like, and thrown on a pretty good hyzer flip that gets flat and slowly tracks right, you may also want to learn roller in addition to the FH

These distances and suggestions are just guesses, you know your limits so attach your own footage to these tiers

I use a beat in DX Valkyrie for that shot. With a Diamond it works out of the box, but I have to hyzer the **** out of it AND throw with less power (and I don't have a strong arm at all) or it will just turn over and die.

L170 Opto Fuse
Beat 170 Opto Fury (my money hyzer turnover disc)

My 174 Comet has the latest right fade of all my discs but it's a ton of fade if thrown straight. The Fuse and Fury turn over and fade right a lot sooner but the fade is much farther.

Don't underestimate a Putter either. I learned to use my 174 eclipse Ion for a lot anny shots but the difference with a putter is you can throw it on a straight anny meaning angle the disc but throw it straight. I get a sort of bowed 90 degree line.

Beat small bead aviar.

Beat Roc or fresh DX Stingray.

Worn star leopard or fresher pro leopard.

Star roadrunner.

Beat to crap star destroyer.

According to distance needed.

I can FH when I need to, just prefer to throw BH.

How much hyzer will impact when the disc turns over or keeps straight too for that matter.. Practice with something slow until you can do this:

Faster discs will be harder to gauge where your problems are. In the video you can see the line is the same as a FH but being thrown with a very understable putter just over 320' with even some skip at the end.

I don't think that's even the line that the OP was talking about...

he said he wants it to go straight for a long time, then turn right.
the idea is right, hyzer release, but your disc did not go very straight, and too high as well.
I can get the disc to go dead straight at head height ~250-300, then have it softly turn right, but like i said hard shot...

the idea is right, hyzer release, but your disc did not go very straight, and too high as well.
I can get the disc to go dead straight at head height ~250-300, then have it softly turn right, but like i said hard shot...

That's what I'm looking for. Long straight for 250-300 and then turn right at the last 30-50 feet. Ive never really practiced it but I will now.

ESP Meteor released with 5 - 10 degrees of hyzer on a low line drive will gradually stand up to flat and go straight for 75% of the flight and slowly drift to the right at the end. Depending on the distance that is required, 200 to 300 should be relatively obtainable with this disc.

That's a much easier shot than the one in the video. The disc goes dead straight until the end of the flight where it dumps off right... There is no slow track right or oat release.

If you want a understable putter to fly well it needs to have height, bud. Like I said-- need to play with angles and discs. Its very easy to turn a disc over people do it all the time on accident. Whats harder is executing what you saw in the vid

Its very easy to turn a disc over people do it all the time on accident. Whats harder is executing what you saw in the vid

True that, I flipped an X Avenger over today and didn't mean to. Probably couldn't again in ten shots.

For straight with late fade I have to side with the people that say you need to develop a forehand shot. I say this because I need to do it myself. Nothing is going to fade at the very end of a long straight shot thrown RHBH. At best you can get a good portion straight and gradual right drift at the end with an under stable disc thrown on hyzer. For this shot I use my beat underworld. I would say, watch some vids, take a couple putters out to a field and throw a couple hundred forehand shots.

That's a much easier shot than the one in the video. The disc goes dead straight until the end of the flight where it dumps off right... There is no slow track right or oat release.

If you want a understable putter to fly well it needs to have height, bud. Like I said-- need to play with angles and discs. Its very easy to turn a disc over people do it all the time on accident. Whats harder is executing what you saw in the vid

Agreed I think that is the shot that the op and horseman are talking about. I throw it the same way with a zero hard pure.

At your power level it is going to be hard to achieve. It takes power behind a slow disc to get this to work. I would suggest something in DX plastic like a tee bird to try. Get it beat in and see what it can do for you. I say DX because the baseline plastic can hold a better line and will give a better chance for you to be able to achieve that shot.

If I had a good enough camera I would show you this shot with a roc. The shot is not impossible.

:clap: That's why I posted my FR Ion test video. That was my first time ever throwing the disc and I expected it to be more OS than it was but worked out beautifully to show a RHBH shot which travels the same line as a RHFH.

You might find a disc that makes this easier than the ones you currently have, but the best thing to do is either learn a forehand or learn BH hyzer flips.

The forehand shot doesn't really require an explanation. It's pretty easy to take something fast and OS, flick it straight, then have it fade hard right at the end.

Hyzerflips are what you want to learn if you are set on doing this backhand. Take a disc that thrown flat will turn for you, and throw it hard with a lot of hyzer. Play around with different angles and find what works. Thrown correctly the disc will flatten out, ride straight, then flip over late in the flight. Also, anything you can do to add extra spin on the disc will help stabilize it and delay the fade.

Here are examples of both shots:

Forehand (Quasar): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bZdpbbGE2Q&t=9m25s
Hyzerflip (Wedge): www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTDpsL4sCoo&t=0m45s

I know a guy who can get some left turn before flatenning out then finishing right. Basically, he overpowers an uber understable disc with a near vertical, outer wing down release. It's the craziest line that I've ever seen but after seeing it, I've been working on it myself but haven't been able to get consisent with it yet.