• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I need help making a bamboo tone pole.

Should you cut green poles or find uncracked already dead poles at the beginning of the process.

I cut green poles, but if I found an already dried pole I would be tempted to try it because it would save a lot of work, however, I am under the impression that the wet cure makes it stronger. We will see.

They are hang drying, they are chalky looking from the brine process, now I need to figure out the set up. I was thinking a pvc pipe with shelving brackets to hold up a round disc of wood and drilling holes in to tie the bamboo into.
This will probably be the cheapest, but what is easiest? any ideas to make it more authentic looking?

how bout modifying a coat rack.

$15
31Pzb7OEnFL._SS500_.jpg

or

$25
212PxN0410L._SS500_.jpg

just a thought

I just got around 60 more ft of bamboo, some already dried and brown, some still green.
I want to get started making the first pole, but I do not have the extra money for the other supplies due to so much spending in the marketplace.

*Edit: yeah the image didn't show; probably 'cause it's facebook. Go to the course page and you'll find it....*

Not sure how to do this Prerube; but the above is a facebook link for Wideapple disc course in Osseo, Wisconsin. Don has replaced just about all of these original home made tone pole type targets. Bottom was nearly normal basket; but top right pic shows pole section that may be similar to what you're thinking with the bamboo.

also I need tips on how to cut the tires like this

Standard razor blade utility knife with extra blades. get a pair of cut-resistant gloves.

Suggest waiting till high summer to cut them so you can leave them in direct sunlight to get the rubber soft.

I rigged the dried bamboo to a camera tripod to test out the acoustics, but it was not a very well created mock up. I think I know exactly what I am going to do.
small tree trunk or thick beam on bottom, plastic bin to catch, then another post up to a round wooden disc with screwed in O hooks around the outside. Bamboo tied with 100lb test fishing line to each O hook.

Is that wood treated at all? If not, it's going to warp pretty badly with moisture and temperature changes.

I am going to slather enough chemicals on it that it will be invincible, but I did not want to do it, until I saw the finished product and liked what I saw.

basket number 1 is finished. It has a few flaws, but it works.
1) I am not satisfied with the stability
2) the catching area is small
3. The bamboo was so long it got stuck outside of the basket (issue fixed)
DSCF2023-1-1.jpg

DSCF2024-1-1.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts