• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I need to find a driver for a beginner

Midnightbiker

* Ace Member *
Bronze level trusted reviewer
I have a friend that I am teaching how to play. Right now he throws a 160 LS Polaris,and he is OK with it, but he does better with his Star Skeeter. I was thinking of telling him to start with a Fairway driver, but I don't know. What would be a good driver for him. Right now he is throwing 100-150ft.

I started with a valk and it did pretty well...might try something a little slower though if they are really green...

Leopard seems to be the de facto beginner driver but I've never had one. I'm more of a fan of Sidewinders and Monarchs.

I started with an Innova starter set but didn't like the Leopard very much and moved to a TeeBird. I can't imagine my bag today without one or two.

I am still in the beginner ranks and I find that my Leopard is really working well for me. I have a sidewinder that is nice when I am consistant with my throw. The Valk is nice as well, but again I am inconsistent with it. Long winded reply to say the leopard is a pretty solid disc to start with.

Leopard is a good solid beginner disc, also a roadrunner would be a good choice, the RR is a faster disc, but it is also a fairly understable disc like the leopard. A tl would also not be a bad choice, but would be more stable than the other 2 mentioned.

A Leopard would be a good choice for a beginner. A Cyclone would be another good choice. I find that it is easy to throw and consistent.

The Leopard worked well for me. I would also suggest a lighter disc until your friend has a basic idea of form.

I'm still a beginner and I just recently got a leopard. It's a good disc, very strait and pretty long with modest arm speed. My first driver was actually a very light 152g Beast. It took a bit to get my arm speed up but now I'm can make it try to turn over (it got really beat up fast, stupid trees). I replaced it with a 166g Beast. To give you and idea of my arm speed, I currently through about 250 feet.

If you or he can find an old beat in Tbird DX, they will def fly straight and far without having to put a whole lot torc or power behind it. my 1st new disc was a leopard.

We have a female friend that started with a leopard and moved to a polaris when she found one....she actually did a better job with the polaris. I think a mid would be a great choice.

I have an Archangel dx and it did not take anytime to get used to throwing it. I recently purchased a star Teebird but I find myself going back to the Archangel ….maybe b/c I've had it longer. I use the Archangel off the tee and for approaches. For me, it is also a good get out of trouble disk as well.

I always see Leopards in the beginner disk packages so it must be a good disk to start with. I was going to purchase one but I went with the Teebird. I am not sure how you feel about Lightening disc but the #1 driver is a easy disk to throw. I am currently teaching my wife to play and she uses it off the tee. I have only tossed it a few times and it seemed easy to throw and very straight.

A lighter leopard or cheetah are usually what I start new players out with if they throw backhand. A teebird seems to be a decent starting forehand disc.

My son is 3 years old and throws a mean sidearm (like his mother) with a Shark, 115g Roc and use to throw a 130g Cobra. He lost the Cobra, but could throw it far. Now he just uses his Roc we got him for his 3rd birthday. All of these work great for him, but I don't know how old your beginner is.

Side Arm Junkie

Last edited:

Latest posts