• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

(IA, KS, MO, OK, AR, TN, KY) The Long Road to BG Ams.

Just found out that Dave McCormack has added a 3rd course on his property for the Ozark Mountain Open. A par 63 design.

1 week after BG is the Ozark Mountain Open in Vichy MO just north of Rolla at Dave McCormack's 2 private courses scheduled april 7 and 8. An absolute must as they are 2 of the top 10 courses I've ever played.

Good info, I don't know if I'll be able to swing it, but I'll keep it on the radar for sure.

If you really want to do this course please let me know. I will get you on.
Sweet, I'll keep you updated if I'm heading your direction.

Thank you.

martin: monday through friday, i can get to a cedar rapids/hiawatha/marion course by 3-3:30pm 99% of the time after work. on weekends, i'd be down to hit anything from wildcat down to peninsula, maybe more if you wanted and potentially spend an entire day playing. i will PM you my cell phone number, send me yours as well, i forgot to save yours last time you were around

I'm thinking either sugarbottom and turkey creek this Sunday or wildcat on Monday afternoon, or heading down I35 and hitting Ames and Des Moines on those days and I might be able to hit you up on the way back through.

Blast Dewg! I just moved out of KC this week! I'd love to have played Legacy Park with you. That was my home course and I lived like 5 minutes walk time from there! I'm down here in Brevard, NC now. If you're over this way, let me know.

Any non-DG related things I must do/see? I dig cool natural features, hiking, scenic drives, Brewpubs, good burgers, unique bars, cheap beer, cheap food.
You need any recommendations for those in DSM? If you're already familiar with the area I apologize for plugging my favorite places.

If you want BBQ, Woody's Smoke Shack is one of the best, at least according to the National Barbeque News.

http://www.woodyssmokeshack.com/

People will say to go to Jethro's, but it's not as good. Those people will also tell you to go to Zombie Burger for a hamburger, but they're not really on-point with that recommendation, either. They put some cool stuff on the burgers but they aren't anything special. You can get better burgers from Be Bop's (a local drive through/carry out only chain) for less. You're also better off hitting Raccoon River if you like brew pubs, The High Life Lounge if you like cheap beer, cheap food and unique bars, and Tasty Tacos if you haven't been there before.

I love me some Nashville. Nice selection of courses that are all pretty fun. Here's my other suggestions:

Broadway Brewpub - The one on Broadway over near Vanderbilt. Great beers. Good people. Some decent Mexican, Cajun food. Zach bartends and is very cool.

Up the road a few blocks is a place called South Street. Has a nice upstairs bar built around a tree. Pumped Chicken is the best smoked chicken I have ever had. Flank steak, ribs etc are all good. Smoking' thigh appetizer is a must.

Tons of other bars and restaurants all in that area. You can walk everywhere and pretty much not run out of joints to hit. It is all in the West End Ave and Broadway area.

Let me know when you hit TN and I'll try to schedule a business trip and meet you there. First round is on me.

You need any recommendations for those in DSM? If you're already familiar with the area I apologize for plugging my favorite places.

If you want BBQ, Woody's Smoke Shack is one of the best, at least according to the National Barbeque News.

http://www.woodyssmokeshack.com/

People will say to go to Jethro's, but it's not as good. Those people will also tell you to go to Zombie Burger for a hamburger, but they're not really on-point with that recommendation, either. They put some cool stuff on the burgers but they aren't anything special. You can get better burgers from Be Bop's (a local drive through/carry out only chain) for less. You're also better off hitting Raccoon River if you like brew pubs, The High Life Lounge if you like cheap beer, cheap food and unique bars, and Tasty Tacos if you haven't been there before.

You're not giving mention to Fongs?!?!?!?!?! That place is the best.

It sounds like you will end up coming back up to KC and East on I-70; in which case you should stop in Columbia and play a round with me at Albert Oakland. Columbia is a college town as well - full of nice little spots to eat and drink.

It sounds like you will end up coming back up to KC and East on I-70; in which case you should stop in Columbia and play a round with me at Albert Oakland. Columbia is a college town as well - full of nice little spots to eat and drink.

Been thinking of playing the tourney this weekend, warm up on Friday.

Adam Richman abides. :thmbup:
Funny fact about that episode. The pizza place he went to actually closed before the show aired. He claims he was at the Ames location, which is still open, but was actually in Ankeny. I haven't been to the Ames location but I did eat at the Ankeny location and it wasn't very good. Yeah they put different stuff on the pizzas, but they weren't amazing pizzas to begin with so the result wasn't anything special. I know some call this blasphemy, but Fong's, IMO, was kind of the same way. They put cool stuff on the pizzas, but there isn't anything else special about them. The drinks and atmosphere are the real reason to go to Fong's. My theory is that people have one or two of their super strong drinks before they eat so they end up liking the pizzas more than is probably justified.

Those bacon wrapped tater tots at the High Life are the real deal. The broasted chicken is really good, but my opinion is that fried chicken can really only get so good. I'm sure connoisseurs would say differently and my understanding is that their chicken is top notch. The attached bar, El Bait Shop is a "biker" bar (as in bicycle) and seems to be the type of place disc golfers would like. Lots of different beers and you can take them over to the High Life if you want.

I think I'll bypass KC this time through, maybe head down to Rolla tomorrow, swing through Springfield and spend the rest of the week in NE OK.

Do not miss the Lodge please

Latest posts