• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

$ickening !njury from DG (Please read)

jljjdye

Bogey Member
Sitting here writing this post with one hand because I blew out my distal bicep tendon on my throwing/dominant arm. As I was throwing a routine upshot, I felt and heard (POP). Instantly knew (this is bad). No warning, no previous injury, no soreness, nothing. I am 35 years old, work out, healthy, and felt indestructible up until this.

Quick visual. Just threw a nice, flat drive and landed in the fairway about 125 or 150 out through a pretty tight little window. Second shot is a short little hyzer line with the basket under a tree canopy. Grabbed the pro d challenger to run at it for 2. Lined up, practice swing, practice swing, check nose angle, pull back, 60 to 70 percent power with nice snap.. POP. Sound of a a person getting hit in the face by a fist. (You know that sound) Arm buckled, Immediate shock wave all down my arm, and felt slightly numb, with a stinging sensation and this crazy pain in my elbow crease. I looked to my arm as I watched this strange deformity take place. My AC vein became very dilated and my bicep muscle appeared to roll up toward my shoulder. It then stayed there as if I were flexing. Talk about sick to your stomach, man I got nauseous.

Drove to the wife's work and had her take me to ER. Got a shot of Dilaudid IM. Got in with orthopedic this afternoon. 1hr long MRI later, and I am scheduling surgery for Monday morning. Everything just happened so fast. Guess I am still in shock. I'm a Dger 4 life, so I know I'll be back, but this hit me right in the chains!!

I guess the moral of the story is we are all getting old and our bodies just can't keep taking all the abuse. This reminds me that this sport is more physically demanding than we sometimes think. This is the only time that I can remember that I didn't warm up and stretch properly before throwing due to being in a hurry. I was in the mindset of (1 more hole if I hurry) Hopefully someone will read this post and prevent this same thing from happening. So take your time and warm up properly and play better golf.

Thanks for reading this rant, Jedi

I'm sorry to hear that man I've been dealing with new injury after new injury. Dislocated left knee, torn ACL right knee, torn back muscle, threw out my shoulder a couple times. Im 23 btw. Those were from basketball except the shoulder but I always make sure too stretch now. Hope you a have a speedy recovery and good luck and when you get depressed cause you can't do anything just remember the first time you throw again will be the best feeling in the world. Hope I could help,

Jedi- start learning to throw left handed... you can still golf while your bicep is recovering, and once your back to 100%, it won't do anything but help you.. there are a few holes/shots that I know would be way easier if I could throw a LH spike hyzer... sorry about your injury, and I wish you a speedy and full recovery, but remember, every setback is an opportunity as well.

I came to the same realization about being more physically demanding when I pulled a muscle in my back about a month ago. Still can't throw drives only putt in the backyard

Having broken my throwing hand twice I have to tell you the only way to feed the hunger to play is to learn to play with your other hand. It was the best decision I ever made. Whenever I go play a practice round I still throw a few lefties just to keep it in check. I was getting close to 320 with my left. I will tell you the hardest part (for me at least) was putting. I was awful at putting but I could drive and that is half the battle. I was able to compete in Int lefty when I usually play Pro righty.

Hey man, that sucks. :( Best wishes on a speedy and full recovery!!!! :thmbup: It sounds like you've got the right attitude about the whole situation, as bad as it might seem now.

I've definitely had a string of much more minor injuries the past couple years (all dg related) and at 32, a post like yours really makes me stop and think about being more conscious of properly warming up. Hopefully, your situation is a good warning for those of us starting to reach the mid parts of our lives...we're not 20-year old indestructible kids anymore. ;)

Thanks for the post, man, and again: best luck on your speedy recovery. :hfive:

You werent at walmart ona shaver rd last night by any chance? I destinctly remember over hearing a story like this in the next aisle while I was zoning.

Man that is awful. Godspeed your recovery. I also recommend practicing with your left hand. It will help your game in the long run. Play on man, play on.

My father popped his distal biceps tendon just recently, it's common in men 50 and over, but not mid 30's. Do you go hard in the gym? Good news is that's not an injury that carries a lot of residues and it's an ez fix by the surgeon unlike a shoulder repair. Best of luck to you, you will be throwing again before you know it!

Rhbh throw. Fell short of basket. Yes prob some oat involved, who knows. Thanks for all the speedy recovery and kind words. Pics of bicep or MRI images?

Had surgery on the 22nd of October. Everything went well. Still off work and doing rehab stuff. Most of my mobility is coming back. Getting ready to start putting in the backyard in the next week. Went and snagged me a new pretty pink opto pure and Ezekiel mercy today. Thanks for all the get wells. There are 2 things that I can say contributed to this happening after many sleepless hours. First is my disc was pretty close to a tree so It was a standstill shot. For some reason I can remember not having a follow through. It was a point and snap. And the second would be the not warming up and lots of prior heavy lifting (dragging and flipping tires, free weights ect...)

So you didn't have any pre throw soreness? I've had to stop a round once cause I felt an akward feeling in my elbow. I am a forehand thrower and now its just a matter of time that I may need tommy john surgery like a baseball player. I actually took a month off to make sure all soreness was gone. I figured it was a strain at that time. I have also tweeked my knee on a slick teebox before. Sad part is had the round of my life at the park after I changed my throwing motion (using no legs all arms) birdied 5 of last 6 holes 8 totalbirds for the round.

If you warm up properly then you will never have an injury. I spend about ten to fifteen minutes throwing putts and simple approach shots. Not to mention you should never be throwing "hard" anyways. Its simple warm up and no injuries will happen. If you played highschool sports this is common knowledge. It also has nothing to do with age.

Latest posts