• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ideal Plastic

...I would definitely reccomend either DX or Pro plastics for drivers though
Why? The only reason I can think of is that those have a bit more glide and are cheaper.

If you drive hard (kinda the point of a driver), then you will hit trees, walk pathes, rocks, etc HARD. That will beat up DX or Pro discs very quickly, and I'm not a fan of having asymmetrical discs with alot of rough edges, deep gouges, and even some chips taken out after just a few dozen throws. JMO

I buy drivers in Pro (esp x-outs) sometimes if it's a disc I'm not familiar with and I want to "audition" the model before possibly liking it and paying more for champ or star version. For the long haul, though, Pro just can't take enough punishment to last as a driver... DX definitely can't cut it for dist drivers.

Last edited:
It really depends on the disc, but the DX plastic is great and should not be passed over because it is cheaper.

I started with 4 DX discs, then went crazy buying Champion and Star plastic, and now I am throwing more DX again. I just had to learn why they are still great discs.

Don't let the price or durability influence your purchase decision. How the disc feels and flies is the most important thing.

also consider the grippiness of the plastic in addition to the durability. i am a bit of an extreme situation because my hands sweat like crazy, but i cannot throw champion plastic at full power. it will slip out of my hand every time. star is a little better, but DX is best for grip.

I think its been touched on but in most basic form, you buy a disc because how you want it to fly. When it comes to that, if getting the disc that has that little extra glide and breaks in nicely means it will be less than durable, I dont care; especially when its cheap for that type of plastic anyway. All I care about is how it flies.

If your buying a tank, then look for durability.

also consider the grippiness of the plastic in addition to the durability. i am a bit of an extreme situation because my hands sweat like crazy, but i cannot throw champion plastic at full power. it will slip out of my hand every time. star is a little better, but DX is best for grip.

I'm the opposite of this, my hands being sweat means that they are extremely sticky (I never hit that full out sweat phase) and so I can ONLY throw Opto/Z/Champ in the summer.

Latest posts