• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

IDGC Courses

magictenor1

Double Eagle Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
Planning a trip there in July. Any tips? Is it crowded? Best time to play etc. Would like to play all 3 courses. Thanks in advance

jackson for difficulty
steady ed for fun and views
jimmy is a lazy design but decent

overall another vote for playing all 3

langley is worth checking out but some people hate it with the death marches and really boring start and finish but the middle holes are awesome

We played on a Thursday afternoon last week, in perfect weather, and virtually had the courses to ourselves. I'm sure there are more people there on weekends, but with 3 courses, I doubt it's ever crowded.

W.R. Jackson is a BIG course. If you're going to tackle all 3 in one day, decide whether you want to wear yourself out on the first one and then face the other two; or save it for last, when it will seem even bigger. If you're spreading your visit over multiple days, play Jackson one day, the other two on another.

I played the complex on Thanksgiving day 2017 and 2018. Place was a ghost town on those occasions. Each time started on Warner then Jackson then Steady Ed for the evening views over the water. Jackson is the star of the show IMO. Also agree with elmex, as long as you're in town Langley Pond is a great track not to be missed. Camping is excellent also if you are into that. One of my favorite campsites is on that peninsula in the primitive loop.

Warner licked my tired ass after playing Jackson and Steady Ed the previous day, it's got much more elevation up and down but do play them all!

Jackson>Steady Ed>Warner

They are all 4.5-5.0 courses. I've only played them once about 12 years ago (before the DG boom) and rarely saw anyone else playing. The courses are so big though that multiple groups could be on them and you wouldn't notice. Play them all for sure, perhaps not all in the same day unless you're a glutton for punishment.

We played on a Thursday afternoon last week, in perfect weather, and virtually had the courses to ourselves. I'm sure there are more people there on weekends, but with 3 courses, I doubt it's ever crowded.

W.R. Jackson is a BIG course. If you're going to tackle all 3 in one day, decide whether you want to wear yourself out on the first one and then face the other two; or save it for last, when it will seem even bigger. If you're spreading your visit over multiple days, play Jackson one day, the other two on another.
It was so awesome being there.... when we went for college nationals in 2019 I remember one day I played about 18 holes of warmup for the two rounds combined, played on two of the courses for the event (Jackson and Headrick) and then played a round on Warner. And I think I was unconscious on the couch by 8:30, about 15 minutes after we got back to our BnB.

I'm assuming Warner is the name of the course and not a companion. Intrigued for different reasons depending on which. :)
All courses named after people:

Steady Ed Headrick: Inventor of target basket and credited as founder of disc golf as we know it today.

Jim Warner: Sponsored by Dorothy Wentz, Priscilla Warner and the Atlanta Disc Golf Organization to honor the late Atlanta area disc golf promoter and PDGA member, Jim Warner.

W. R. Jackson: Sponsored by Jay Townsend and named in honor of his grandfather, W.R. Jackson, an industrialist who took over the reins of a steel fabrication company named PDM and proceeded to grow it into a fortune 500 company. PDM's most famous contract was for the fabrication and construction of the stainless steel for the St. Louis Arch.

All courses named after people:

Steady Ed Headrick: Inventor of target basket and credited as founder of disc golf as we know it today.

Jim Warner: Sponsored by Dorothy Wentz, Priscilla Warner and the Atlanta Disc Golf Organization to honor the late Atlanta area disc golf promoter and PDGA member, Jim Warner.

W. R. Jackson: Sponsored by Jay Townsend and named in honor of his grandfather, W.R. Jackson, an industrialist who took over the reins of a steel fabrication company named PDM and proceeded to grow it into a fortune 500 company. PDM's most famous contract was for the fabrication and construction of the stainless steel for the St. Louis Arch.

I know, but thanks for providing that info for others who may not be familiar. I was making a light hearted joke about the original comment by discNDav about Warner "licking his tired butt" after ChrisWoj commented on it.

Thanks for all the info. We definitely plan to play all 3 in one day. We tend to play all day on our roadtrips. Didn't you design one of those courses Chuck?

Thanks for all the info. We definitely plan to play all 3 in one day. We tend to play all day on our roadtrips. Didn't you design one of those courses Chuck?
Tom Monroe and I designed the Steady Ed course which was the first course completed in 2006. Here's a 5-hole tour of Steady Ed I prepared for promoting the first Global event in 2011.

Thanks for all the info. We definitely plan to play all 3 in one day. We tend to play all day on our roadtrips.

Wow, all three in one day, very ambitious. I've made two trips to IDGC in the last 10 years because it was so awesome. Definitely play Langley Pond and really any of the other courses in and around Augusta. They are all pretty darn good. It's a shame Hippodrome is gone, they were fun courses.

If you can and you have time, because you will be so close, you should get with David Sauls and go play Stoney Hill. Well worth the drive into SC, and David and his brother are genuinely nice guys, and the property is awesome. Good Luck and enjoy your trip.

jackson for difficulty
steady ed for fun and views
jimmy is a lazy design but decent

overall another vote for playing all 3

langley is worth checking out but some people hate it with the death marches and really boring start and finish but the middle holes are awesome

probably an unpopular opinion but i like Langley over all three IDGC courses.

probably an unpopular opinion but i like Langley over all three IDGC courses.

The other three have the virtue of all being at the same location.

As well as being more remote and secluded, and the amenities of the have the IDGC headquarters/store/museum on site.

But you opinion isn't unpopular or uncommon. It's shared by the consensus of the reviewers, who have rated Langley about the same as Jackson, and higher than the other two IDGC courses.

Langley was alright.

I second the Stoney Hill idea. That place is fantastic.

We will actually be roadtripping for about a week and will definitely play Langley based on your input. Would love to play Stoney Brook based on what you are saying. Our plans are in Flux right now as to exact dates. We will most likely play in Charlotte area too