• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

If small bags, and low number of discs are the way to go...

The number of discs you carry is up to up, but if you pull out a disc and don't know how it will fly you have too many. When you get too many discs too early you are spending time learning how the discs will fly instead of how to throw them.

My normal bag is 11-15 discs, and with that I feel I can cover all my shots. I played all of last year with no more than 5 discs and had a ball. Many of those rounds were 2 putter rounds, a Magnet for putting and an Ion for driving. I could score better with more discs but for me it is more fun to play with less, and my back appreciates the lighter bag.

As long as you cover every shot you think you need to cover, the amount of discs doesn't matter. Have fun and don't think about what everybody else thinks about you bag. There will always be someone who will disagree with you.

pros have more discs because they can do more with them, also probably having backups and whatnot for the tour.

as far as DG in general goes, we are no pros. at least not yet. ;) if anybody scolds you for what you're doing, tell'em to screw off because you're having fun.

i myself have considerable overlap in my bag once i get to the fairways. my bag, however, is built with cycling/seasoning in mind.

banshee
champ teebird
gstar teebird
dx teebird
patriot

the dx teebird is great for uphill shots, tailwinds and pure distance, so is the patriot. the patriot is the better complement because it shapes lines better than the teebird. but god damnit, sometimes i want to throw my dx teebird and sometimes i want to throw my patriot and so i do. to further confuse things, the gstar teebird is so neutral that i could easily get away with throwing anny instead of using the patriot OR the dx teebird. it's so ridiculously workable that i could play with only my gstar teebird as long as i had my champ teebird or banshee for the wind.

it gets worse:

CPD
PPD
SPD

right now the SPD could easily sub in for the champ teebird, it's just a little longer. but i plan on beating both of these in so that kinda snubs that despite the current overlap. the CPD could probably replace my banshee; it's super flat and definitely brings the beef, but it doesn't roll as well, forehand tommy or thumber as well.

so you see it gets to the point where you'll justify anything and to hell with someone telling you what to carry. :) go have fun and throw well. i carry 19 discs if my bag is full and i typically only use like 7-8 of them. my driving wizard, my putting wizard. my comet, my fresh ghost. my gstar teebird, my dx teebird, my P-PD and my x force (trying to break the force in as a max D driver). if it's windy then simply choose more OS versions.

it's not as simple as everyone would like to say. the whole idea behind mold minimizing is learning the stages of wear of a disc and becoming familiar so no matter what you always know what's going on even as the wear progresses. it's not necessarily to cut down on fluff.

I ascribe to the carry 24, only throw 5 or 6 theory. 5-6 discs that I actually throw and a bunch more "just in case". Those extra discs are just an unneeded security blanket that I can't seem to get past carrying. My best rounds are almost always a 3 disc round with my dog anyway. Never could figure out why i insist on carrying so many that see limited, if any, use.

Latest posts