• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

In-flip???

The reasons I like it over a spike hyzer in certain situations are: I can throw it hard (to get over a tree) and it won't go very far, and I can get more of a vertical flight path with a grenade.

Well, I tried this shot yesterday while I was out messing around at the course. I used a wide range of disc stabilities....firebirds, orcs, teebirds, orion ls, sidewinder. The sidewinder was the longest of them all, but that was probably only 60'. I couldn't seem to get any of them to actually fade back right at all, but I'm assuming its just a lack of power due to unfamiliarity with the shot/grip.

I could definitely see how this might damn near take your thumb off if you tried to crush one!! I was only throwing about half power and my thumb was already taking a beating. I might try some mids and putters or that other grip next time to see if a cleaner release will help me on distance / height.

For the distance I'm getting right now, I think I have a few other shots (overhand pancake, spike hyzer, spike anhyzer flex) that would probably be better choices...but if I could work up to a 200' in-flip I can definitely see how it would be useful.

Thanks for all the input from everyone!

for getting them to come back right I use a different grip. Instead of the side of your thumb on the rim use the pad, give it plenty of height. And a less stable disc helps too.

I almost too off Jim Davidson head with this shot when he was teaching it to me. Remember not to stand directly behind the thrower as he might not let go of the disc in time and it can get ugly.

Ok maybe I'm missing something but is this shot right side up or upside down? Sorry about the confusion but I think the grenade comparison threw me off.

Wow, now I'm even more confused. I was thinking that the disc was right side up but the grip was upside down (thumb under the bottom, fingers on top) and it would be released in a spike hyzer or grenade angle.

If that's not it I really don't understand how this works unless the guy throwing it is just superhuman.

no you got it. but yes, it's upside down compared to a normal grip. basically throwing a spike hyzer with the disc flipped over.

25D04FFA-2C56-48EB-AC53-AE325165EC0F_ribbon1.jpg

If your throw starts from the left side of the ribbon, it will follow the shape of the ribbon, and end on the right side.

This is either with an understable disc. Otherwise, it just goes straight up in the air, and knifes down.

Ok now that makes more sense. This might be a good shot for me to start messing around with since it seems like it has almost the same flight pattern as a thumber but i have no power for the thumber motion. On the other hand I do have slightly better than average backhand power which it sounds like what is required for this shot.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Ok I messed around with this yesterday. I'm not sure what I was thinking from the description, but is's basically a grenade with an understable disc.

So here's a question for everyone. What's the name for a grenade thrown at a roller angle vs a spike hyzer angle. I've had it referred to as a scooby, but I was thinking that was a skip shot. Most people just refer to it as a "WTF are YOU doing?"

I have no idea what its called...but sounds like an interesting shot. Do you try to land it top-down so that it slides? or do you plan on it flipping and spiking down to the left?

...am I even in the ballbark here?

Rusty-I can do both depending on the height, angle of release, and disc used.

MDR-That's pretty much the result when I throw this shot with a driver.

10891 said:
So here's a question for everyone. What's the name for a grenade thrown at a roller angle vs a spike hyzer angle. I've had it referred to as a scooby, but I was thinking that was a skip shot. Most people just refer to it as a "WTF are YOU doing?"
My understanding is that that shot is called a "scooby."