• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Inconsiderate league players

If this person is who I think it is, I'm in disbelief. There's definitely a 2nd side of the story.

So I ask if we can play through (...) and the response I get from this person that I referred to earlier is "there's a group of 10 in front of us".

Basically this guy was lying and trying to get us to move to a different course.

it's a group of leaguers trying to intimidate us off of the course by holding us up.

That's a MASSIVE injustice to come to those conclusions from the, possibly accidental, misrepresentation of the foremost group. Did you REALLY feel like he was trying to intimidate you in some way by claiming a traffic jam?

in·tim·i·date: 1. To make timid; fill with fear. 2. To coerce or inhibit by or as if by threats.

Sounds fishy to me.

i'm not seeing how you are getting from not being allowed to play through to "Basically this guy was lying and trying to get us to move to a different course."

I cannot speak to the specific incident and there are always two sides to a story.

However, I can relate and confirm that there is sometimes a better-than-thou attitude from regular league players. I don't play competitively and I know that I'm not a pro player. I don't need attitude from someone on the course who is better than I when I'm playing to relax.

I think your reading way to much into it. Its very possible the group ahead of them wasnt letting anyone play through. Like they had been playing behind them and were stuck there. This is totally possible and in this case there is no issue with how they acted. If they knew they couldnt play through then letting you play through does nothing other than slow things down. Situations like this happen all the time. Some rounds you just need to slow down and deal with it.

I think your reading way to much into it. Its very possible the group ahead of them wasnt letting anyone play through. Like they had been playing behind them and were stuck there. This is totally possible and in this case there is no issue with how they acted. If they knew they couldnt play through then letting you play through does nothing other than slow things down. Situations like this happen all the time. Some rounds you just need to slow down and deal with it.
The group ahead of them was part of the same crew. They were all practicing an alternate layout on the course and playing very slowly (which is completely fine).

In front of those 2 groups the course was 100% empty. There really wasn't a justifiable reason to not let a faster group play through.

First off, get thicker skin. If the fact that a group wouldn't let you play through & you had to post ion DGCR, you have some serious issues. Also I bet that the person who said that there was a group of ten people in front of them was just an exaggeration. Many people exaggerate out of habit& I also doubt he/the group was trying to get you of the course. Either you've had previous interaction with this guy/the group or you just have a quick temper. Also just b/c people are in leagues & tourneys doesn't mean that they're talented players or that they have better course etiquette than casual players. Don't pin this on them b/c they are league players, they don't represent league players as a whole. It may have seemed like a dick move to you that they wouldn't let you play through but even if you where in a smaller group than them they could have been better players than you & your friends. That sounds like a bad excuse but I know from experience that a group a three bad players usually takes a lot longer to play a hole than a group of 5 great players. If it takes a person two or three shots to get to the same spot you get to in one shot it will no doubt take them longer to play. I understand that accuracy plays a roll in this also but I'm talking in general.

I don't think the OP was trying to elicit a "lynch mob" and I don't take issue with him making this statement of venting. This issue is not isolated to ND. I travel a lot for business, and I almost always have my discs with me. I have had major issues in the Columbus, OH area where I frequently travel and a specific incident at a course in Florida where I was not even allowed to participate in the "weekly" because I was only visiting on business...so I just skipped around the course randomly while they played after taking a good ol' verbal bash by the guy in charge.

I've also seen a local "pro" go completely crazy on a noob who found a disc in the middle of the fairway. The only number on the back was a PDGA number...which this kid had no idea what "PDGA" stands for. This "pro" comes running across the parking lot cussing like a sailor and screaming at the kid that he should have gone to the PDGA site, looked up the contact information based on the PDGA number and called him. Mind you, this was about 2004, long before most people had internet access through their cell phones.

For the most part, folks in the Southeast are usually pretty good at letting you play through. I travel to Des Moines fairly regularly and have always been treated well there. I guess that really, the disc golf community is made up of about 97% cool people...and about 3% douche bags. My encouragement to all would be to at least be aware of the issue and to try and be peace-makers when possible.

If there is a small group of teenagers or casuals just coming through and hucking discs and not even playing seriously, then they can wait or skip a couple of holes for all I care.

So if there's a small group of teenagers that you consider "huckers" you won't let them play through even if they're playing at a faster rte than yourself/your group? That is a very stereotypical statement about teenagers. I know many teenagers that not only take dg very seriously but are more mature & talented than most people in their 20's & 30's. Age has nothing to do with maturity or skill. A friend of mine has a 13 year old kid that can throw 350ft already & I believe he has a player rating in the upper 800's. I dislike it when elderly people take forever to play but I don't bad mouth them or treat them differently.

^ Glad to know I'm not the only one. Sometimes it's just easier to bounce ahead.

The wife and I do this at our home course all the time. That said, its an easy course to change the rotation and still be able to play all the baskets just not in the proper order.

However in response to the OP, I can see both sides of the coin, and I have come across 1, and only 1 guy in our local area who was a "dick" about the league.

Growth of the sport is only gonna make this worse before it gets better. Bigger leagues butting heads with bigger casuals. It isn't easy to run a league with the eclectic group of folks that play, without total support of the actual "owner" of the course since most courses are in public parks. And the only real solution to this at public parks is the same thing that goes on at public ball golf courses. It starts with a Starter. This person tells you when it time for your group (of no more than 4) can tee off. Usually somewhere between 10 and 20 minutes between groups. And then there is the Ranger. That person's job is to ensure pace of play. If your group is playing too slow to keep the pace of play he will tell you to speed up and/or direct the group behind you to play thru. And if you continue to hold things up the Ranger will boot you off of the course. End of problem.

Casuals, especially casuals that do have a clue, need to understand the difficulty in trying to get all the league players organized, and sent out to their tees, and then ensuring that all groups can actually finish before the sun sets. Its not an easy task. And at the same token, those in the league have to understand that without the true support of the course owner, the course in a public park is open to everyone. So if there are casuals out there they do have a right to be out there.

Tough question with no easy solution except for one. Leagues and tournaments on private courses. The real wave of the future!

While it is a courtesy for a large, slower group to let a smaller faster group play through it is not a law and as such the offended group can either Obladi Oblada Life Goes On and deal with it or get pissy and demand that something must be done and try to publicly shame those who breached protocol and get all soapbox self-righteous bad vibes and frowny faces.

While it is a courtesy for a large, slower group to let a smaller faster group play through it is not a law
you do have a point here. there is certainly no PDGA rule that addresses this issue because 'playing through' isn't something that would happen in tournament golf.

however, many courses have 'pace of play' related rules posted at the first tee.

i'd like to think it falls under the universal "be a considerate and observant guy/gal" rule.

Casuals, especially casuals that do have a clue, need to understand the difficulty in trying to get all the league players organized, and sent out to their tees, and then ensuring that all groups can actually finish before the sun sets. Its not an easy task. And at the same token, those in the league have to understand that without the true support of the course owner, the course in a public park is open to everyone. So if there are casuals out there they do have a right to be out there.

I consider myself a casual and during league events, I have no issue just waiting, or skipping baskets. However, I have encountered those who carry an attitude toward casuals during non league events.

The problem is that group sizes and mob mentality have become the rule on courses. There's no consideration for anyone else on the course, as groups of 6-12 people mob slowly looking at eachother to see if its cool to throw or looking for discs. Does this happen in golf? Absolutely not. You'll be thrown off the course. Group sizes should be capped at 5 whenever there's a lot of people playing, which at courses like GGP is every day. There should be no large groups period.

Latest posts