• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Increasing arm speed

I saw a video with Vaino Makela some pro from Finland, explaining a little bit of the same, except I had no idea what he was saying, but the video itself is pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgWrWVZu2nE

Väinö Mäkelä is one of the best players in Finland (rating 1035). The video presents also Samuel Hänninen (rating 992). Mäkelä is exceptionally good in putting! The video contains 5 points for beginners and intermediate players. The topics which they teach are: 1. grip, 2. the throwing position, 3. reachback or downloading the throw, 4. the throw and 5. runup.

do you have any preference between understable and overstable discs? I feel like Understable discs go further than an overstable disc that burns left after like 260feet. The ideal disc would be something to hyzerflip for distance?

1) How old are you?
2) How long have you been playing?
3) Do you want to compete in PDGA tournaments?

Seriously, answer those questions when you can, it will go a long way in helping people give you better advice. Especially on disc selection, weight, etc.

Seriously, answer those questions when you can, it will go a long way in helping people give you better advice. Especially on disc selection, weight, etc.

1 year

yes, I organize events, so I'll participate in some this upcoming year

Question about the sequenze

Hope this is the right thread for this question.

In the video above, Tanner talks about turning your shoulders late and letting the arm/hand come forward a little before turning the shoulders. I have been doing the opposite to some degree for a while. Should the first movement of the disc forward come as a result of the weight shift (so it is more of a passive movement from the arm's perspective) or should you do this by bending the elbow and move the disc towards the chest in a more active manner?

Hope the question is understandable.

Hope this is the right thread for this question.

In the video above, Tanner talks about turning your shoulders late and letting the arm/hand come forward a little before turning the shoulders. I have been doing the opposite to some degree for a while. Should the first movement of the disc forward come as a result of the weight shift (so it is more of a passive movement from the arm's perspective) or should you do this by bending the elbow and move the disc towards the chest in a more active manner?

Hope the question is understandable.

This video helped me a lot. With the right timing, it seems almost automatic. Try to just play with your weight and stay loose. Your upper arm needs to feel pretty heavy. If you start consciously bending your arm to make the shape of the power pocket, you are going to slow everything down tremendously.

This video helped me a lot. With the right timing, it seems almost automatic. Try to just play with your weight and stay loose. Your upper arm needs to feel pretty heavy. If you start consciously bending your arm to make the shape of the power pocket, you are going to slow everything down tremendously.

Thanks for the reply! I have seen the video many times, but they are very dense with information so you can never see them too many times. Am working on "hammer throwing" the disc, and to get my upper arm heavy. Thanks for pointing out this fact. The upper arm should maybe stay loose and heavy, and the lower arm loose but more agile?

One problem is to get the disc high enough, to the upper abdominals, without some active involvement. Many pros, like McBeth, have the disc high during the power pocket. This seems difficult to do staying completely loose. I believe a high amount of speed would be needed (a fast weight shift towards the plant foot), to initiate the movement of the lower arm so it is able to get carried so high?

Last edited:
One problem is to get the disc high enough, to the upper abdominals, without some active involvement. Many pros, like McBeth, have the disc high during the power pocket. This seems difficult to do staying completely loose. I believe a high amount of speed would be needed (a fast weight shift towards the plant foot), to initiate the movement of the lower arm so it is able to get carried so high?
It's not literally a 100% dead arm. You have to do some guiding. The muscles you use to raise and lower your arm aren't really used in "hitting".

I don't want to steer you wrong, I am far from an expert. Personally I think playing with your body, and ensuring that you feel attached to the weight of the arm/disc, will get you to the right feeling. There is a good reason people use hammers, I did this as well and it really helps eliminate the common habit of disregarding the weight of the disc and arm.

I hesitate to say anything like 'its 100% passive', because it's not...but the timing is based on a very natural feeling that I am sure you can harness by looking rather silly in your home.

To get the disc fly faster I feel like I need more spin on it like on a forehand I can generate a pretty good amount of spin due to the snap motion is there something similar for bh?

To get the disc fly faster I feel like I need more spin on it like on a forehand I can generate a pretty good amount of spin due to the snap motion is there something similar for bh?

Oh man don't go down this road of trying to spin the disc. This is a one way ticket to strong arm town. You want your lower arm to be nice and loose and trying to spin the disc will make you tense everything up

It's all about arm body connection, something you get for free if you try to throw something heavy. Try it, throw a rock with some heft, your body will do everything for you.

Unfortunately discs weigh so little that your body thinks you only need to use the arm to get it going, but atleast its some reference.

Everyone can throw with good form and fast arm speed if you give them something heavy to throw, discs however are everything but heavy.

Oh man don't go down this road of trying to spin the disc. This is a one way ticket to strong arm town. You want your lower arm to be nice and loose and trying to spin the disc will make you tense everything up

spin snap ? what is the difference

spin comes from the snap of the wrist, the final lever that unloads all the energy generated by your body during the throw. delaying that snap until the last possible moment will transfer a greater amount of energy, creating more spin as the disc releases. you want to focus on that snap and the hammer pound drill is the typical proscription.

that said, i think this is the easier part. the harder part for those who are not natural athletes (me) is getting the lower body engaged and timing.

Last edited:
spin comes from the snap of the wrist, the final lever that unloads all the energy generated by your body during the throw. delaying that snap until the last possible moment will transfer a greater amount of energy, creating more spin as the disc releases. you want to focus on that snap and the hammer pound drill is the typical proscription.

that said, i think this is the easier part. the harder part for those who are not natural athletes (me) is getting the lower body engaged and timing.

is this the one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOF3rOn9Cug

that you're referring to ?

...I saw on the breaking barriers thread that you shouldn't throw anything but putters and mid ranges if you can't get over 300feet, so that is where I'm stuck right now

You're only 30 so you're young enough that you should be able to get much further than 300 if you put in the time. But..you've only been playing for a year and I'm guessing just recently trying to really focus on form. Getting to 300 might only take 6 months to a year, getting to 400+ may take another 1-3 years. Sure, there is the fluke guy that gets one lesson and adds an immediate 100ft of distance, but typically those who make it out of the 300 slump and go on to throw 400ft+ golf lines, have several but small gains over a long period of time. You're obviously getting alot of suggestions and online help, but I think at this point you could be over thinking things which could set you back big time. The best advice at this point might be to hire a local pro, get monthly lessons, track your progress, repeat as needed. At the end of the day, like most things disc golf related... you have to put in the time to get real results.

You're only 30 so you're young enough that you should be able to get much further than 300 if you put in the time. But..you've only been playing for a year and I'm guessing just recently trying to really focus on form. Getting to 300 might only take 6 months to a year, getting to 400+ may take another 1-3 years. Sure, there is the fluke guy that gets one lesson and adds an immediate 100ft of distance, but typically those who make it out of the 300 slump and go on to throw 400ft+ golf lines, have several but small gains over a long period of time. You're obviously getting alot of suggestions and online help, but I think at this point you could be over thinking things which could set you back big time. The best advice at this point might be to hire a local pro, get monthly lessons, track your progress, repeat as needed. At the end of the day, like most things disc golf related... you have to put in the time to get real results.

This is something I've come to realize and I think a lot of new players on this site need to read and understand. Most of the form threads on this site where a player has gone from 300 feet to 400 + have been 60 plus pages long, spanning 18 months or more. There is no panacea or quick fix. There are some outliers where people pick it up quick, but I think most people need to be prepared for a one step forward two steps back, slow little break throughs. Give yourself a year of consistent field work, drills, and posting here on dgcr and see where you stand.

Thanks!

Too bad we don't really have any local pros, there is one guy that throws 500 feet that I play with regularly, but to put it mildly, he isn't the best coach, he just says it comes naturally to him, and he has never thought about it much, so my only way to get any advice at the moment at least is from online, thought about contacting Scott Stokely for his lessons

how can you tell if you are strong-arming? and if you are strong arming what can you do to fix it?

Latest posts