• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Indoor Distance Records

R.I.P. Frisbee Dan

Harvey Daniel "Frisbee Dan" Berman, son of Carole (Cassiff) Weller of Boca Raton, FL, and the late David L. Berman of West Hartford, CT, passed away on April 8, 2017. He was 56 years old. Dan was born in Hartford, CT on August 15, 1960. He was a graduate of William H. Hall High School. During his teenage years Dan was a talented athlete with a particular interest in high jumping, skate boarding, and Frisbee. His passion for Frisbee coincided with the rise of the sport to international prominence. He made a professional career out of Frisbee, ultimately ascending to World Championship-level play. He also performed Frisbee demonstrations for school children and military groups, coached up-and-coming players, and designed and built Frisbee golf courses around the United States. In 2005, on the US Navy's JFK Aircraft Carrier, Dan set the World Flying Disc Federation's Indoor Distance record with a throw of 143.56 meters. That world record remains unbroken to this day. Dan endured Crohn's Disease for most of his life, and heroically battled stomach cancer in his last months. He is survived by his long-term partner, Lisa LaMee Salsburg of Jacksonville, FL and her children Skylar, Cody, and Grayson; his mother, Carole Weller and her husband, Arthur Metzger of Boca Raton, FL; a sister, Tamara Berman-Ishee and her husband Tom Ishee of North Carolina; and a niece and nephew, Pascale Boucicaut and Isaac Ishee. Dan also leaves a much-adored aunt, Barbara Slobin, several cousins, and thousands of Frisbee aficionados and fans from around the world. A private family service will take place at a later date, at Crescent Beach in Niantic.

A Long Drive for Frisbee Dan

Dan Berman was a lifelong promoter of flying disc sports and disc golf in particular. He was kind enough to put me up when he hosted (what I assume was the last) Florida State Overalls held in Jacksonville sometime during the 1990's. We played with/vs each other primarily at the Virginia States Frisbee Tournament (coincidentally happening this coming weekend). Dan was a decent, gregarious and generous person - a true overall FRISBEE player.

As for distance technique, he did not use a turn-around throw and had some of most incredible arm acceleration that I've seen. His distance results were on par with most, if not all, people who have ever played. This includes many of the younger generations who benefit tremendously from more advanced equipment (and take it for granted just as often).

One can hope that his promotional goals are just as successful so why not help his worthy goal? Check out this Go Fund Me page: https://www.gofundme.com/3kgqvog
Spread the word to others you think might have a care...

Latest posts