• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] innova factory second

jermlac

Bogey Member
the local 'play it again sports' has a bucket of what they call 'innova factory second discs'. how do you know what disc is what? it seems they just have innova and an X on the front. am i missing something? $10 for a star disc that was just misprinted but flies as it should sounds like a deal to me.

The center of the bottom of the disc might have some letters and a 3 digit number. The letters will tell you what disc it is if you look at the abbreviation column on this http://www.innovadiscs.com/discs/disc-comparison.html
The numbers are the weight in grams.

I could just be wrong (there is a first time for everything :p) and they don't have that on the x out discs.

These discs will most likely fly the same, it's just they might be misprinted or have a bubble or some sort of defect.

Seen several x out or misprint from innova. Pia and Hammond toys will carry them. As do some over the blasted interweb!

I think they fly the same and you can usually acetone the x right off an dye away!!

so how do you know what the x out discs are molded as? am i missing something? i'm going to have to go back and look for the letters.

They are great deals, before I buy any new "perfect" disc I always check on the misprints or x-outs, Innova seems to have much more than discraft does, which sucks but I can't beat a $9.49 star disc.

so how do you know what the x out discs are molded as? am i missing something? i'm going to have to go back and look for the letters.

On the bottom it will say *o 169= star orc 169g or p ds 174g= pro destroyer174 g, rp bo 147g= r-pro boss 147g

Innova seems to have much more than discraft does,

discraft has higher quality control standards I think. Innova will sell x-outs that have bubbles or other structural flaws, where discraft's misprints are only cosmetic flaws. From what I've read though, the "structural flaws" are usually just bubbles in the plastic and don't affect* flight that much or at all.

*or "effect" me suk at riting.

from the discraft website
When a disc is born, it is checked for flaws. If we find a structural problem, we grind it up and try again. Some companies will even sell you these structurally flawed discs: they call them "X-outs" and mark them with a big X...

Usually the Misprints & X-Outs (Star & Champ) will have a sticker on the bottom with the discs name & they usually always also have the disc abbreviation in pen. I'm not sure about Pro or DX plastic.

In case you're wondering, if you're not 1000-rated then X-outs and Factory Seconds will have no noticeable difference from their QA-passed brethren. If they have the disc you want then save the extra $ and throw the plastic!

First disc purchase: Innova "factory second" star coyote....$10.
First birdie on 3 at Flip City yesterday....priceless.

I have quite a few X-Outs. Most of the have no flaws that will affect the flight of disc. Take my sidewinder and super roc, they have slight discoloration on the top of the disc. We have a local guy that sells all his x-outs for 8 bucks, brand new. Can't beat it. Like the guys above said there should be a pen mark on the back center that has the weight and a couple letters that are the disc abbreviation, just a match the letters to the disc, and there you go.

XOUT means something's a little off with the mold, too pop topped too many bubbles in the rim, the plastic looks a bit nasty from where it separated from the mold...etc. These are sometimes a little more or less stable than normal molds...but sometimes are the BEST versions of these molds. I broke an XOUT champ wraith that was my #1 distance driver and I was in love with it. I still carry and XOUT eagle.

Innova Factory Second means it's a blemished disc, it generally has a patch of plastic on the top or bottom of the flight plate that is either a little more or less shiny. They fly exactly the same. I buy these whenever I buy two as my play it again sells them 2 for 15$ and who doesn't need another star roadrunner and star stingray?

I'm a big fan of buying X outs, especially if you can get hands on with them first.

\/\/

IMO X-outs and Factory Seconds are totally worth it, especially if you are just trying to get a handle on a mold you've never tossed around before. I have owned quite a bit. Most of these X-outs or FSs have obvious blems, such as minor specs of another color in the plastic, bubbles in the rim, or maybe just a bad stamp job. Whatever the case, most of them fly true to what they are designed to do.

Every once in a while you might come across one that might be slightly different than the actual mold, but I think its more with the domeyness of the disc, which will affect its stability slightly. But I don't think there's anything wrong with that. If anything it might give you a little something different out of a mold you are comfortable with.

All in all I think the X-outs and Factory Seconds are a great deal. Especially when starting off. You will just have to get a bit familiar with the different names of molds and their abbreviations. They should always have this in the center of the underside of the disc...along with the ink pen "X" in the center of the top of the flight plate.

IMO X-outs and Factory Seconds are totally worth it.

I agree with Justin. I throw more 2nds, X-outs and double-stamps than I do regular run. The cost/performance index is way higher. And since I acetone most all my stamps off, anyway, there's virtually no way to tell by looking at them.

When picking up stock from Innova East for our handicap league I asked what were the differences between Factory 2nds, X-outs and double-stamps. I was told 2nds and X-outs have an appearance flaw - bubble in rim, dimple, specks, etc. - that does not affect flight (discs with molding errors are ground up). Double-stamps are first-quality discs with a stamping error. Those discs are then often used as "warm-ups" for the stamping machine, sometimes several times, which explains why you may see two, three or more different stamps on them (also why you may get a Leopard repeatedly stamped as a Wraith).

I have yet to experience any of these structural flaws affecting flight.