• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Innova G Star?

I had a chance to throw some new Gstar this weekend. I love the way plastic feels. My Leopards flew just like my other leopards which is great news. My valk is considerably more stable than my 3 pro valks (some new some worn) with a much stronger fade at the end that is costing me distance. Anybody else notice Valks being a little more overstable or did I maybe just get a fluke?

They are definitely more stable, which in this particular case is the way that I like them. I have been off and on again with the Valkyrie for the last three years. In regards to stability, my ideal maximum distance driver sits somewhere between the Valkyrie and Destroyer. I shy away from the super wide rim because ever since I backhanded a tree full force a second time a few years back, I get very little snap the more open my grip has to be.

There are days that even the Destroyer at 2.2cm wide feels too wide. I was going to try Wraiths again this year, 2.1cm, and hope the reason I gave them up in the first place three years ago had been corrected with cleaner form, however, with these GStar Valkyries being more stable (1.9cm), I can really see myself laying into these for some nice maximum distance.

My G* thoughts....

Initially I just KNEW I would hate this plastic, and figured it would beat in super fast, and be understable. lol WOW was I wrong! I have no problem eating my words on this stuff.

So far, the only molds I've thrown are the Teebirds and Destroyers, and both have made the bag!

Teebird: Mine is the IFS release (non-production w small proto stamp)
It is very flat, like 11x CAL flat! It is giving strong competition to my beloved CAL molds too! It flies just like a perfectly seasoned TB should w/o sacrificing any stability.

Destroyer: Mine is a Red 175 production stamp.
I picked out two of these that have a nice "pop-top" dome, without being too stupid domey. The dome is like many of the S/DS destroyers I've had.
This is the best run of Destroyer I've ever thrown, and it will never leave my bag! It has the wind-fighting stability of the known OS D's, with the glide of a Pro or *D Pre-Avery. I will make some general comments about these discs next, which apply to both molds.

General:
This plastic seems to make the molds fly very true to their flight numbers with incredible accuracy. The lines these discs fly are super tight and precise, and amazingly consistent/predictable. This plastic also seems to make the molds a bit faster without any loss of control. The weight also seems to feel consentrated in the wing giving me a very pronounced snap when the weight comes around the pivot point of my grip. I can see this very benificial to beginning players. I also believe this plastic has unparalleled durability. Since I love my CAL molds so much, I have been finding myself being more choosey about when to throw them to perserve the life. Therefore, on shots with a high potential to smash a tree, or spike hyzers landing on a rough/hard surface, I have been leaning on the G* TB. Mainly, b/c its a production disc that I know I can get more of, although I'm not sure I will ever need to, haha. The G*TB has taken a stupid amount of punishment so far, and now I'm playing a game with it to see just how much it can take. Every time, it gets up, dusts itself off, and laughs at me: "that's all ya got?". I have yet to put a single scratch, ding, divot, chunk, or anything on this disc. It has a few tree-resin rubs, but thats it!!
The G* Destroyer shows the same toughness. This weekend I crushed a gentle downhill drive that was well on its way past 350' on a low line (8-10 ft). Just as the ground was dropping out under it, the disc drifted just a tad left (LHBH) and caught a sharp, metal, I-beam post, holding a highway-style gaurdrail, at full speed! I just knew there was going to be a BIIIIG chunk missing from the rim, if it didnt split the rim entirely. Everyone in my group was like, "oooooo, nice pull"....."OH, OUCH!! That hurt!" I literally winced in pain haha. When I picked it up, I laughed hysterically, as there was absolutely ZERO damage. Any of my other champ or star discs would have been assuredly damaged by that impact.

I know all that may sound a bit "fanboy", and I hate being "that guy", but I rarely get excited about the "hot new thing". I truely believe the GStar stuff is the real deal, and has been a missing link in my game.

I'm still skeptical of the Leopards. I have a few of the IFS 1st runs stored up, but I'm afraid to buy a production run thrower. I am very content with my current champ leopard, which is a gummy opaque run, in the original CAL tooling. I'm honestly afraid I might like the G* Leo haha.

I do want to try the G* BB Aviar & Roc 3.
I doubt the G*RC3 would kick my champs from the bag, but I carry a Cryztal Wasp as my super OS "Rancho Roc". I would be interested to see if the G*RC3 could kick the Wasp out....

How sweet would it be if they made a G* Rhyno, orrrrrr Gator???

I have refused the new Rhyno molds and only throw Ontarios, but I would def give a G* Rhyno a fling.

nice write up

I'm a big fan of the first run Gstar Leos but I haven't thrown the production run yet.

Anyone tried the shark or production run terns?

My G* thoughts....

It flies just like a perfectly seasoned TB should w/o sacrificing any stability. .

I could not agree with you more, they are at the sweet spot out of the box. I just hope it stays that way. I had an 11x that it took me a year to get it to that point. I am currently bagging a GStar and Brinster Teebird.

Has anyone thrown the GStar Wraith? Is it like a normal Wraith?

I got a GStar Krait and it was more overstable than any other Champion Krait I had thrown. It had a fade almost like a Boss. However, the GStar Destroyer I got at the same time flies true to other Destroyers that I have thrown.

Thanks for the replies about the Valks being more stable which matches my experience. I threw my first gstar mambas (2 of them) yesterday and they fly just like you'd expect a mamba to fly - these are just a small tick less stable than my champ one. Summarizing my gstar experience so far.

Leopards - Fly just like my other leopards and how you'd want a leopard to fly
Valks - Gstar Valk is significantly more stable than my Pro Valks
Mamba - Gstar is a small tick less stable than champ but it's a very small difference. I actually prefer the flight of the Gstar as when I reach for the Mamba I want understable.

Has anyone thrown the GStar Wraith? Is it like a normal Wraith?

I picked up a 168g g* Wraith yesterday and took it out in 15-20 mph winds and it managed all wind directions like a dream. The PLH was as high as any of my Wriaths but the dome is extremely flat and as far as I can tell, the flight matches the ratings dead nuts. It turned well enough on a flex-shot and leveled out around 100', starting its fade around 200'. Nice disc.

The Mamba, however, is going to take a while for me to trust it's ability to turn since I haven't thown any rim wider than a Archangel quite that understable and holding the Mamba triggers my mind to think more stable.

I picked up a 168g g* Wraith yesterday and took it out in 15-20 mph winds and it managed all wind directions like a dream. The PLH was as high as any of my Wriaths but the dome is extremely flat and as far as I can tell, the flight matches the ratings dead nuts. It turned well enough on a flex-shot and leveled out around 100', starting its fade around 200'. Nice disc.

The Mamba, however, is going to take a while for me to trust it's ability to turn since I haven't thown any rim wider than a Archangel quite that understable and holding the Mamba triggers my mind to think more stable.

Your Mamba will turn. I promise :)

I picked up a Gstar Tern and Mamba recently and really like how they both fly. Love the plastic also. Like FLX from discraft. The Tern is really impressing me and the Mamba has been the more inconsistent of the 2 but that,s probably my form more than the disc. Next is a Teebird..... :)

Just got my GStar Wraith in the mail today. Good Googily Moogily this plastic feels great. Very little dome and grippy. Can't wait to throw it this weekend.

^ 167. Think I want to get another at 175. Maybe a purple one. Call it my purple rain.

Any plans for a G-Star Orc?

I would like try one since the Teebird is really nice.

^ 167. Think I want to get another at 175. Maybe a purple one. Call it my purple rain.

My 168 gstar Wraith flies true to the numbers and has tons of glide. I'm lovin' it. However, if you want some skip at the end, pick another plastic. Conversly, for those OB/roll-away on the fade side drives, it's a life saver.

I've been working with my 172 gstar Mamba and there is no way that it's going to fly as far as the Wraith even though in theory it should. You just can't crank on the Mamba and have it level out unless you're throwing it 35+' off the ground. After gravity or little-to-no flatening has it's way, it's 15-25' shorter than the Wraith.

Last edited:
Just received a G* Roc3 today. I own a G* Krait and owned(no one returned it) a G* Tbird. Both my Krait and Teebird were a little more stiff than the Roc3. It is borderline floppy. Going to be testing it out today

How sweet would it be if they made a G* Rhyno, orrrrrr Gator???

I have refused the new Rhyno molds and only throw Ontarios, but I would def give a G* Rhyno a fling.

They will be heading your way soon.

They will be heading your way soon.

I hope so! I'm betting the GStar Rhyno would be nice and OS like the Ontarios, if the G* RC3 is a good judge...That thing is BEEFY

On a side note....

Has anyone else noticed that the production GStar Teebirds are more domey than the IFS 1st runs??

Why Innova, just Why??
I love how flat all of my 1st runs are! They make a great alternative to my CAL molds. I was wanting to save my 1st runs as collectors, but haven't been able to find a nice flat production stamp one yet. Good thing the GStar stuff is tough as hell. Still going strong on the 1st one I bagged. It's got a nick or two in the rim now, but hasn't lost any stability.

Latest posts