• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Innova Shryke

I gave up on Terns and went to the Shryke. I have 2, one S-line and one special glow champion one I got in a tournament. The s-line absolutely will glide better than any disc for me. I have a Philo destroyer and they are both really long. If it's windy and the shot allows the glow one is more stable and behaves like the S-line Shyke into the wind. These disk for me really love a flat release. They track right a ways and glide, then eventually come back. I used to have a beefy champ beast. The flight seems similar but a lot more glide and longer.

Needless to say I"m loving this disc

Considered trying the shryke over the tern myself. Havent jumped on yet.
I found room in my bag for both. Shryke is my wide open max distance driver, and now I use a 165 gstar Tern for tighter lines where I would previously have thrown a renegade, fury or maul. It still has reliable fade despite being lightweight gstar and well broken-in. I can get really straight to slight turnovers lines with it, in tight spaces where previously I wouldn't have considered a high speed disc.

I found room in my bag for both. Shryke is my wide open max distance driver, and now I use a 165 gstar Tern for tighter lines where I would previously have thrown a renegade, fury or maul. It still has reliable fade despite being lightweight gstar and well broken-in. I can get really straight to slight turnovers lines with it, in tight spaces where previously I wouldn't have considered a high speed disc.

This reliable fade you speak of is why I like the Tern. Flippy and it only doesn't come nack if I don't want it to. And I can ask it to come back a little or a lot. I may just suck it up and keep throwing the Tern.

I really don't think half a millimeter (or whatever it is) of difference in rim width between the Tern and Mystere will make much difference when you grip the thing.

People make way too much of a deal out of a millimeter. It won't make or break you.

Maybe not, but it's a comfort thing. And a confidence in your grip thing, which can translate into better throws. I can throw a Sheriff, but the Trespass feels much more comfortable for similar distance....

Maybe not, but it's a comfort thing. And a confidence in your grip thing, which can translate into better throws. I can throw a Sheriff, but the Trespass feels much more comfortable for similar distance....

I'm not generally one to trifle about rims on discs, but occasionally I find the shallowness of the Tern's rim annoying. The Shryke has a deeper rim and it doesn't slip out of my hand nearly as often.

Anyway, I think the Tern actually flies a better S curve than a Shryke. If you're looking for a driver that flips and then fades decently, get a Tern. If you want a mellower, straighter flight, get a Shryke. I think the Shryke and Tern are too similar to bag both.

I've thrown my Lucid Trespass further than my Champ Tern and Star Shrykes. The only thing that has come within 5' was a Pharoah into a headwind. I'll see what my Champ Shrykes do hopefully today, unless it decides to downpour even more.

I don't think I can get a Trespass further than a Shryke, but it would be close. Trespasses really are surprisingly long for 12 speed drivers. They can take a little more arm than a Shryke and will hold a flex line for a long time.

Champ Shrykes are distance monsters. I won't say they're longer than other plastics, but they definitely aren't shorter. Great glide too. I'd say if I had to pick a plastic in the Shryke to get max distance out of it'd be star. I don't think I have any drivers I can consistently get further than a star Shryke.

I found room in my bag for both.
Me too because I hate Champion. So, Star Shrykes and Pharaohs have taken over for Champ Terns, but I still carry Star, EchoStar and G* Terns. My longest drives in the last two years have all come from one particular EchoStar Tern.

I don't think I can get a Trespass further than a Shryke, but it would be close. Trespasses really are surprisingly long for 12 speed drivers. They can take a little more arm than a Shryke and will hold a flex line for a long time.

Champ Shrykes are distance monsters. I won't say they're longer than other plastics, but they definitely aren't shorter. Great glide too. I'd say if I had to pick a plastic in the Shryke to get max distance out of it'd be star. I don't think I have any drivers I can consistently get further than a star Shryke.

My Champ Shrykes are just as far as my Star and my Pharoah. I think I may have thrown a Shryke further than my Trespass, but I haven't thrown that Trespass in a little while, I threw the Trespass 450', and my furthest Shryke throw was at least that far, if not further.

Have Champ Shrykes always been rated 13, 6, -1, 2, or has it changed?

My Champ Shrykes are just as far as my Star and my Pharoah. I think I may have thrown a Shryke further than my Trespass, but I haven't thrown that Trespass in a little while, I threw the Trespass 450', and my furthest Shryke throw was at least that far, if not further.

Have Champ Shrykes always been rated 13, 6, -1, 2, or has it changed?

Similar distance numbers for me. I've never seen a Pharaoh, but it sounds like a bomber. I think I can throw the Shryke and Trespass the same distance. However, the Shryke distance comes a little easier.

No clue on the flight numbers for the champion Shryke. I honestly never looked at them. Both champ Shrykes I have are fairly flippy. More like -2 or -3 high speed turn. Bombers though.

Threw a Star Shryke pin-high(but 20' to the left in some rough) today on a 431' hole I had never played. Hyzer release on a forehand that flipped over to a mild turn and was just a touch of fade short from being perfect. I don't think I could have thrown that same shot with any other disc. Thing bombs when released right.

It's funny how the thrower makes a difference doesn't it and certain disc runs and weights. The Tern for me is like a Kantana, It takes up so much space. For me they both go way more right and way more left than the Shrkye. For me, neither is as long either. Of course if there is any wind at all the Tern likes to crash and burn for me.

It's funny how the thrower makes a difference doesn't it and certain disc runs and weights. The Tern for me is like a Kantana, It takes up so much space. For me they both go way more right and way more left than the Shrkye. For me, neither is as long either. Of course if there is any wind at all the Tern likes to crash and burn for me.

Absolutely. I get lots of comments about how straight my Tern throws are. But then again, I carry a bunch of terns from very stable Luster to flippy, light Star, and pick the one I throw based on wind, where I want it to land, etc. I probably err on the stable side to avoid the runaway right event.

Yeah, the Tern and Katana definitely have more side to side movement than the Shryke. The Tern also doesn't seem to flex out for as long as the Shryke. The hard fade kicks in sooner.

Some Katanas can be sneaky long, but I can generally throw Terns further. I can outdistance both with Shrykes.

Katanas can be flat out mystifying. Some of them are perfect S curve bombers, while others are flat, beefy, and glideless.

Yeah, the Tern and Katana definitely have more side to side movement than the Shryke. The Tern also doesn't seem to flex out for as long as the Shryke. The hard fade kicks in sooner.

Some Katanas can be sneaky long, but I can generally throw Terns further. I can outdistance both with Shrykes.

Katanas can be flat out mystifying. Some of them are perfect S curve bombers, while others are flat, beefy, and glideless.

I might put my Katana back in the bag as my headwind driver. Would pair really well with my Shrykes and Phaorah.

I might put my Katana back in the bag as my headwind driver. Would pair really well with my Shrykes and Phaorah.

I was throwing a Katana into a pretty good headwind today. Champion 171g. Bad results. Even hyzer flipped the Katana wanted no part of the wind and turned over hard. Now, DOWNwind was a whole other story. Massive bombs. The wind was coming somewhat L-R and the Katana was riding it effortlessly. One throw finished way right, but may have touched 500'. It caught the jetstream and seemed to defy gravity.

BTW, every good Katana I've ever thrown was domey. The flat ones glide poorly and fade hard.

Maybe not a hard fade, but a sudden one. A Tern stops flying and seems to simply die out. No late glide.

Pretty much true. My Terns would fade rather hard and dumpy as opposed to a longer, glidier, smoother fade. I had no problem with that, though.

I was throwing a Katana into a pretty good headwind today. Champion 171g. Bad results. Even hyzer flipped the Katana wanted no part of the wind and turned over hard. Now, DOWNwind was a whole other story. Massive bombs. The wind was coming somewhat L-R and the Katana was riding it effortlessly. One throw finished way right, but may have touched 500'. It caught the jetstream and seemed to defy gravity.

BTW, every good Katana I've ever thrown was domey. The flat ones glide poorly and fade hard.

My DX Katana is flippy as heck. My Star Katana at 164g is still fairly overstable. But my Pro Katana in the low 160s is in the sweet spot. Flies really well through the woods, too, on some of the holes on my home course. The Katanas don't mold up consistently, but find the right one for you, and it's a beautiful thing.

Pretty much true. My Terns would fade rather hard and dumpy as opposed to a longer, glidier, smoother fade. I had no problem with that, though.

My DX Katana is flippy as heck. My Star Katana at 164g is still fairly overstable. But my Pro Katana in the low 160s is in the sweet spot. Flies really well through the woods, too, on some of the holes on my home course. The Katanas don't mold up consistently, but find the right one for you, and it's a beautiful thing.

I've found Katanas to be all over the map. I've thrown stars, a G*, and champion. Some are domey and glide for days. Others are flat and seem to want to do nothing but fade hard.

A lightweight Katana with dome can be a distance monster. They'll hold a line well and take pretty much all the arm you can dish out. I've never bagged a Katana, but I mess with them in the field from time to time. The distance capacity is absolutely there.

Terns do have a dumpy fade. I think that's why I get more distance with Shrykes. The Shryke will keep penetrating as it gradually fades. The Tern simply has enough and hits the ground. Make no mistake though, I still do like the Tern. Its still a very, very viable distance bomber.

Similar distance numbers for me. I've never seen a Pharaoh, but it sounds like a bomber.

You might like the Pharaoh, it's allegedly a tweaked Shryke and basically flies like a bit more OS Shryke. I have not thrown a Pharaoh, as I'm discing down and away from those Speed 13 discs, as good as they are. But your armspeed might be just right for the Pharaoh's capabilities...

Terns do have a dumpy fade. I think that's why I get more distance with Shrykes. The Shryke will keep penetrating as it gradually fades. The Tern simply has enough and hits the ground. Make no mistake though, I still do like the Tern. Its still a very, very viable distance bomber.

The Shryke is the only disc I can think of that you've had a very different experience from me on. I know you have probably 50' on me on good throws so that may be it, and I've also never thrown one that's been beat in. But they have flown like a speed 13 Thunderbird to me, like 13/5/0/2-2.5ish. Very controllable considering the speed/rim, but don't flip so they aren't in the farthest flying class for my arm. Aside from a Gstar I threw that was extremely understable, but that was one disc.

I agree with the Tern really getting slow at the end of the flight and finding the ground with the fade rather than pushing left, which I kind of like because it almost hits the ground like a fairway driver for me rather than skipping or doing anything crazy. Lots of times I have thrown it and thought it died out early but it's as far as or 10' farther than the other drives I threw on a similar line. It kind of gets the distance in a deceptive way.

I know this is the Shryke thread, and to me the Shryke/Sheriff are similar in feel and class although I've found Shrykes to be more stable. But since you've thrown some Trespasses, how do you find the Tern/Trespass to compare? I find them pretty similar in flight/line considering how different the rim shape is, maybe the Trespass holds a little more speed into its fade and the ground whereas the Tern wants to pan out of lines a bit more but not go super left.