• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Innova Shryke

PS I've thrown the worn copy a TON in on the course over that last year or more. It is beat, and this is exacerbated by the sharp blizzardy wing mold of a lightweight disc like that. The corona of these ultra lightweight Shrykes get hammered pretty fast...but as a tool, especially for this 60 mph thrower at altitude, it has taught me (and done workmanlike tasks that other discs cannot) so much.

It's like...idk.

A clinical, scientific level of flippiness that helps me understand *real* flippiness, as opposed to unfortunate turn.

Lol. Sorry. Just occurred to me.

It's like when you have those increment counters on a thing. And the soft increment is -1 and +1. But the "get to the point" increments are -5 and +5.

That's what I have loved about my experience with the lightweight G* Shryke over the last year and change (and thanks to TM or whoever got me on that train)...

It has really taught me more than any other disc I've ever thrown how to shape max D flex lines--the ballistics, winds, trajectory, etc. I apply those lessons to more stable discs with high quality results.

Lol. Sorry. Just occurred to me.

It's like when you have those increment counters on a thing. And the soft increment is -1 and +1. But the "get to the point" increments are -5 and +5.

That's what I have loved about my experience with the lightweight G* Shryke over the last year and change (and thanks to TM or whoever got me on that train)...

It has really taught me more than any other disc I've ever thrown how to shape max D flex lines--the ballistics, winds, trajectory, etc. I apply those lessons to more stable discs with high quality results.

Honestly, anymore I rarely trifle with anything that has more than -2 turn. Something like a Corvette or Enigma that you can just smash on without it being too flippy to do anything with.

If I'm in the field messing around for max distance I'll throw stuff like Shrykes, Daedaluses, Bolts, or Vulcans. Those things can touch 500' for me at times, but are super hard to control.

The "distance bomber" slot in my bag is a 172g champion Feldberg Boss. The disc is at least 10 years old, and is literally beat to perfection. It flies something like 13, 5, -1.5, 2. Bosses today never even reach this level of breaking in.

I also have an Excite in the bag that has very similar numbers. However, I just get better results with the Boss. Last week I grip locked the Boss into a horrible ravine/creek full of bushes and weeds. Took me over 30 minutes of searching, but I found it.

For sheer distance bombing (not necessarily on the course) I'd still pick the G* Corvette. To me they're like a more refined, longer version of the Shryke.

Honestly, anymore I rarely trifle with anything that has more than -2 turn. Something like a Corvette or Enigma that you can just smash on without it being too flippy to do anything with.

If I'm in the field messing around for max distance I'll throw stuff like Shrykes, Daedaluses, Bolts, or Vulcans. Those things can touch 500' for me at times, but are super hard to control.

I'm just starting to get that real intuitive feel of the great max D line to the point of it being a teepad launch angle decision (on a wide open hole like that West Creek 500' one). These flippier glidey discs like the featherweight Shrykes have taught me so much...because they are so hard to control and I've failed so much at using them effectively--but watching the flight is so instructive.

I'm doing it less these days, but there is something to nailing the anny launch angle that is really mentally stimulating.

For sheer distance bombing (not necessarily on the course) I'd still pick the G* Corvette. To me they're like a more refined, longer version of the Shryke.

This is what I'm throwing too, and I have enough confidence in it to throw it with OB concerns, as long as there's no HW. I'm routinely birdie-ing holes that seemed like boss-mode challenges a year ago...

My 172g Shrykes hit the same D, but seem much more wind-fickle to me these days. I used to swear up and down that was the only disc that could poke a stick that far... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm just starting to get that real intuitive feel of the great max D line to the point of it being a teepad launch angle decision (on a wide open hole like that West Creek 500' one). These flippier glidey discs like the featherweight Shrykes have taught me so much...because they are so hard to control and I've failed so much at using them effectively--but watching the flight is so instructive.

I'm doing it less these days, but there is something to nailing the anny launch angle that is really mentally stimulating.

This is what I'm throwing too, and I have enough confidence in it to throw it with OB concerns, as long as there's no HW. I'm routinely birdie-ing holes that seemed like boss-mode challenges a year ago...

My 172g Shrykes hit the same D, but seem much more wind-fickle to me these days. I used to swear up and down that was the only disc that could poke a stick that far... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I feel like the Corvette penetrates through wind better than the Shryke, and is less prone to total flipping.

Sometimes I'll take a more stable disc (Like a Nuke or Boss) and purposely throw it high, left, and very anny. Done right it produces some of the longest, most majestic bombs you'll see. Done wrong it's the worst shot anyone's ever seen. Carving anny lines with a stable-overstable disc takes a little skill. It's also not a good idea on any course where accuracy is of grave concern.

Corvette is essentially a Shryke with a wider rim. It shouldn't have any aerodynamic benefits over the Shryke as it has the same profile to it. The wider rim does mean that it should have more sustain to it if you get it up to speed/spin.

My favorite Shrykes are super pop-top Stars. I tend to have a harder time finding GStars and Champs with huge domes. My current workhorse shryke is a full weight Star with massive dome, and it has great integrity to it, so I can throw it flat or very slight hyzer, and watch it fully S-out and fade forward. Of course I'm only throwing mine around 380-400, so larger arms would need a llittle more hyzer, or disc up to the Corvette.

I'll also note that Shrykes are essentially just beat-in Destroyers. Same rim width, nose shape, tendency for dominess, and all that. PLH is usually a little shorter, otherwise hand feel is extremely similar. Using a slightly beat-in Destroyer can be equally as good as a Corvette for trying to find a little more beef compared to a Shryke.

I lucked out on a recent bottom-stamped Destroyer I bought, as it has a PLH that is quite low for a Destroyer, and huge dome equaling my pop-top Shryke I was talking about in the previous post. https://i.imgur.com/bRvnF52.jpg

It's a bomber of a Destroyer.

I'll also note that Shrykes are essentially just beat-in Destroyers. Same rim width, nose shape, tendency for dominess, and all that. PLH is usually a little shorter, otherwise hand feel is extremely similar. Using a slightly beat-in Destroyer can be equally as good as a Corvette for trying to find a little more beef compared to a Shryke.

I lucked out on a recent bottom-stamped Destroyer I bought, as it has a PLH that is quite low for a Destroyer, and huge dome equaling my pop-top Shryke I was talking about in the previous post. https://i.imgur.com/bRvnF52.jpg

It's a bomber of a Destroyer.

not at all

Pharaohs are still the best Shrykes. Especially run 20.

What do you like about this run? I had an earlier run of Pharaohs that I really liked for hyzerflips but haven't found the same sweet spot in Shrykes so far. Curious how they compare specifically to Shrykes, so keeping it on this thread.

What do you like about this run? I had an earlier run of Pharaohs that I really liked for hyzerflips but haven't found the same sweet spot in Shrykes so far. Curious how they compare specifically to Shrykes, so keeping it on this thread.

Not really sure how to answer that. First, I love I-Blend. Second, they tend to be more consistent disc to disc. I find Shrykes to be all over the place. I currently carry both a heavy S blend and a high 160s I-blend at the same time. I-Blend for max distance and turn. S-blend for holes where right is a no go.

I find Shrykes to be all over the place.

For a different opinion, I will aver that I find ~170g G* Shrykes produced over the last two years or so to be remarkable consistent from one disc to the next. I have yet to buy one that flies significantly different than another.

Corvette is essentially a Shryke with a wider rim. It shouldn't have any aerodynamic benefits over the Shryke as it has the same profile to it. The wider rim does mean that it should have more sustain to it if you get it up to speed/spin.

My favorite Shrykes are super pop-top Stars. I tend to have a harder time finding GStars and Champs with huge domes. My current workhorse shryke is a full weight Star with massive dome, and it has great integrity to it, so I can throw it flat or very slight hyzer, and watch it fully S-out and fade forward. Of course I'm only throwing mine around 380-400, so larger arms would need a llittle more hyzer, or disc up to the Corvette.

I agree about the dome of drivers. All the best/longest/glidiest drivers I've ever thrown have been very domey. I feel like a big dome helps glide and reduces late fade a bit. It won't necessarily make the discs flippier, but they'll definitely stay in the air longer.

The first Shryke I ever threw (several years ago, obviously) was a 168 G* that was very domey. What a great disc. Pretty flippy, but super glidey. At the time it was the longest disc I'd ever seen.

Pharaohs are still the best Shrykes. Especially run 20.

I've actually grown to like the Pharaoh. They seem to be just a hair beefier than a Shryke, but still turn decently. Like all other long bombers, a Pharaoh must have dome to be any good. I've tossed a couple flat ones, and they were simply lousy.

The first Shryke I ever threw (several years ago, obviously) was a 168 G* that was very domey. What a great disc. Pretty flippy, but super glidey. At the time it was the longest disc I'd ever seen.

I have a G* 175g Shryke that it's in the winter bag and is an absolute bomber. Super dome and definitely on the flippy side. Meanwhile my Weese tour series swirly star one is 169, flat and Destroyer stable.

I've actually grown to like the Pharaoh. They seem to be just a hair beefier than a Shryke, but still turn decently. Like all other long bombers, a Pharaoh must have dome to be any good. I've tossed a couple flat ones, and they were simply lousy.

Exactly. I-blend is so cheap that I buy several at a time. I use the domey ones for max D and the crappy ones for over water.

Pop top, ideally soup bowl level, is a must for Shrykes. My max D shots that soared past my previous best with Star Shrykes were with domey Shrykes.

Latest posts