• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Innova Wombat

"Convex tech" sounds to an aweful lot to me like a rebranding of the plus style rim.

More meat in the rim for extra torque resistance? Innova embraces Gyro!

More like embraces popular buzzwords to try and sell discs. Great marketing tho.

It doesn't say the weight is different at all though, so unless they made a lighter flight plate the weight distribution would be very close, in fact the 1.4 rim would be worse then a 1.2. Less Gyro. I think a thicker rim is just easier to grip and is harder to OAT, more resistant to OAT I should say.

Speaking of Gyros, You actually retain spin longer by having more weight centered, weight more on the outside you can spin it faster with the same force but it will slow it's spin faster as well. Kind of a trade off.

The profile pic of this thing looks like a UFO from a black-n-white 50's spaceman movie...

Put some LED's on this thing and throw it thru the park at night and create your own War of the Worlds hysteria! Come on space-glow Wombat!

"To design the Future, we must embrace the past" was tossed around the Innova think tank for this mold...:doh:.

This disc looks like it would not be nice to hold/throw. Just a first impression based off the pics, once you can fondle one it might be different though.

Last edited:
I almost thought "Beaded Foxbat"... But that's way too convex on the underside.

Yeah I don't think they mean gyro, it just sounds that way.

Convex lower flight plate actually adds stability because it puts more of the outer rim closer to the vertical plane. But not stability like over and under=left or right turning. Stability like resistance to turning either direction.
That's why a mako is 4,5,0,0 and a stingray is 4,5,-1,1.

Which brings me to my biggest gripe with the vtech marketing- their selling it like its this new thing, but hasn't the mako been around for years? And aren't there other discs in their stable with convex lower flight plates?

Yes the old Coyote has a nicely convex rim that centers more mass towards the outside of the disc. Thus creating a gyro effect. Infact,
the multi-purpose Champ Coyote I have just became cool again. Yes! I want a Wombat though too but really, if you had to take a mold out to put the Wombat in, what the hell would that be? Is the Wombat a Coyote killer?

I have one waiting to be thrown in the car. Weather got all crappy the day I picked it up. I will report back as soon as I know!

Speaking of Gyros, You actually retain spin longer by having more weight centered, weight more on the outside you can spin it faster with the same force but it will slow it's spin faster as well. Kind of a trade off.

I think you have that backwards. More weight in the rim will create a higher moment of inertia. A higher moment of inertia will require more torque to increase spin. At the same time, it will take more energy to slow down that spin.

So more weight in the rim will take more effort to spin but will maintain that spin over a longer period of time.

I think you have that backwards. More weight in the rim will create a higher moment of inertia. A higher moment of inertia will require more torque to increase spin. At the same time, it will take more energy to slow down that spin.

So more weight in the rim will take more effort to spin but will maintain that spin over a longer period of time.

I think you're right, I was mixed up.

Interested to hear more reviews on the Wombat, sort of interested in trying it.

Hows the dome on these, hopefully not like the domed up Coyotes?

Last edited:
Anyone thrown one yet? How are they flying?

It's true to the numbers unless you really crank on it, then I'd give it -1.75 on hss, no fade, lidish low speed glide but it does hang in the air long enough to stretch it out to 300'.

It's best feature is how controllable it is. A consistent line despite a wide degree of flat to hyzer release angle and/or design to over powered release speed.

So how domey are they?

Middle of the road. If it weren't something as flexible as gstar, the dome would be an obstacle for me but by the time you grip it enough so it doesn't fall out of your hand, it feels comfortable enough.

This might be the first lid I bag but I can think of a couple of courses that I would bag it even if it doesn't earn a permanent spot.