• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is putting too easy? too hard? Just right?

Putting is?

• Putting is too easy, narrower basket would be nice on challenging courses

Votes: 90 17.9%
  • Putting is about right, keep the basket size

Votes: 398 79.1%
  • Putting is too hard, Make the baskets bigger

Votes: 15 3.0%

• Total voters
I find putting frustrating enough, Wouldn't a smaller basket also result into more spit outs?

Also 200 posts, whoop!

In my experience, no. When I putted on bullseyes they caught extremely well when you hit the actual target area, the chains end up being a little denser so the catching area is smaller but more consistent.

I'm sure the top pros would vote smaller targets to continue ensuring only elite players have a competitive chance to win the biggest events. I say make the target bigger to reduce scoring spread and hopefully make tournaments more and not less competitive at the top.

Same reason pros want longer holes with less trees. We all know of that local pro that is nearly unbeatable on a certain course that values distance as much/more than shot shaping/creativity/hitting tighter lines. But put them on a different course that favors the latter and the competition at the top is suddenly more wide open.

Personally, I think the target size is appropriate as is. Healthy mix for amateurs and pros alike.

And by definition, a "perfect" putt comes to rest in the basket.

Dave votes "Too hard"

That wasn't really his point. He didn't say "too hard", he said "too unfair".

I haven't voted, and don't really plan too. Because I agree; they aren't too hard or too easy. They're just not fair enough. In many ways. So they also aren't just fine.

Last edited:
Anyone remember single chain baskets? Putting is definitely easier, no real need for good control over speed or angle of entry just slam it in there and it will most likely stick. Putting is more fun because of double chains, but maybe it shouldn't be. Driving, and parking long approach is fun. Putting should be more strategic and get in your head, it should separate the men from the boys. Men being able to accept a spitout as not a perfect putt and move on, boys crying about it and wanting a better catching basket.

Slightly smaller target area but better catching baskets? Sure sounds good.

Would it make a difference after 1 year of playing on them at the touring pro level? Nope, not at all. People are going to dial into whatever target you put in front of them within 30 feet. It's just not that far away, you can putt dead straight at the chains every time from that distance. This is why putting in ball golf is not comparable to putting in disc golf. Period.

What will make a difference? Having a standard basket at every disc golf course that isn't a pitch and putt. Companies are still making different baskets every year. I can't understand how the PDGA is approving anything other than branding changes for competition baskets. Nothing is worse than playing an amazing course that has extremely old baskets or even worse... Baskets that are different from hole to hole... *cough* Idlewild *cough*

Of course swapping baskets for a standard will take time, but that will never happen without said Standard being developed...:wall:

Anyone remember single chain baskets? Putting is definitely easier, no real need for good control over speed or angle of entry just slam it in there and it will most likely stick. Putting is more fun because of double chains, but maybe it shouldn't be. Driving, and parking long approach is fun. Putting should be more strategic and get in your head, it should separate the men from the boys. Men being able to accept a spitout as not a perfect putt and move on, boys crying about it and wanting a better catching basket.

Yeah ... tell a touring pro that they shouldn't be upset about a basket catching putts exactly like the one it spit out for them, which cost them hundreds or thousands of dollars.

Yeah ... tell a touring pro that they shouldn't be upset about a basket catching putts exactly like the one it spit out for them, which cost them hundreds or thousands of dollars.

I think what he was trying to say is that putting shouldn't be the "drive it as hard as you can at the chains", like it is for pros now. I tend to agree...it would be nice to have to see putts that need to be finessed into the hole, using the basket as the catching device more than the chains.

In my experience, no. When I putted on bullseyes they caught extremely well when you hit the actual target area, the chains end up being a little denser so the catching area is smaller but more consistent.

I would expect a narrower target with the same number of chains to be more consistent. However, I tend to think of the people who complain about spit-outs like people who try to smash billiard balls into the corner pockets, and then when the ball rattles out, they complain that the pockets are too tight. It's just like putting too hard on a ball golf green, and then getting mad when your ball bounces across the hole or hits the side of the cup and careens off at a hard angle instead of falling in. Ease off on the gas, and you'll stop seeing spit-outs. It's harder to "die it in the hole," but if you can do it, you'll never see a spit-out. it's just part of the percentages.

Last edited:
I have, and he cried about that too.
I think what he was trying to say is that putting shouldn't be the "drive it as hard as you can at the chains", like it is for pros now. I tend to agree...it would be nice to have to see putts that need to be finessed into the hole, using the basket as the catching device more than the chains.

Yes. but at the same time I realize we've came to far down the better basket road to turn back now. As a result courses get longer, new hole placements are added, to mostly make the hole Longer. What I'd really like to see is more basket placements with obstacles inside the putting circle, creating areas on the green itself that you don't want to be. A clear 60ft circle around the basket is pretty easy to hit even if your throw is off a little. I can hear the crying now when someone lands 20ft right and 10ft long and it brings that really low hanging limb that's 10ft from the basket into play.

I think there might be some confusion in this discussion or assumptions. I think when someone thinks of making a smaller basket, I think most people are thinking of Bullseye baskets, I don't think that is the case, you can make them a little smaller and that would require people to focus a little more but not drastically more. Tighten up the game a little, but it isn't as bad as what some people are thinking of, if you take 2 inches off each side, that doesn't mean you won't be able to hit a 30 footer, it means you have to have better form and focus but the average person can still make them. Even if you are a bad putter wouldn't mean you won't be able to make a 30 to 40 footer if you take 2 inches off each side. The fear of making the game less fun if you take 2 inches off each side...I don't think that would stop me from playing and enjoying the game at all.

In order for this to happen, it would have to start with the PDGA reviewing and approving new specifications for such baskets to be used in certain events...etc.

I am a lucky from 40 to 50 feet...this will reduce my luckiness from 30 to 40 feet = ( booohooo

I think there might be some confusion in this discussion or assumptions. I think when someone thinks of making a smaller basket, I think most people are thinking of Bullseye baskets, I don't think that is the case, you can make them a little smaller and that would require people to focus a little more but not drastically more. Tighten up the game a little, but it isn't as bad as what some people are thinking of, if you take 2 inches off each side, that doesn't mean you won't be able to hit a 30 footer, it means you have to have better form and focus but the average person can still make them. Even if you are a bad putter wouldn't mean you won't be able to make a 30 to 40 footer if you take 2 inches off each side. The fear of making the game less fun if you take 2 inches off each side...I don't think that would stop me from playing and enjoying the game at all.

In order for this to happen, it would have to start with the PDGA reviewing and approving new specifications for such baskets to be used in certain events...etc.

A minimal size reduction would make a marginal difference for the pros, no? Doesn't seem worth the effort IMO. If you went your route it might be easier to just use lighter chains on the outer set?

A minimal size reduction would make a marginal difference for the pros, no? Doesn't seem worth the effort IMO. If you went your route it might be easier to just use lighter chains on the outer set?

I disagree, if you watch a lot of videos, there are many putts that hit the sides and grab the last chain. I think it will make a difference and it would require a little more technique and focus. Tighten up the game a little doesn't sound so bad.

why use lighter chains, reward accuracy and hit heavier chains so the disc drops

I watched a couple youtube rounds and tried to keep track of the putts:
So far I recorded a total of 248 putts:
151 made putts
97 missed putts.
So it is about a 60/40 ratio of made/missed putts (and that ratio never really changed)
Of those 97 missed putts, 41 touched the basket/chains/pin. Spit outs and lucky putts were even with 4 each.

It's not a whole lot of data yet (I try to keep going), but feel free to discuss. Btw. I only recorded players rated 1000+

Can't remember. I haven't had to putt in years. I keep shooting 18s.
/thread.

I watched a couple youtube rounds and tried to keep track of the putts:
So far I recorded a total of 248 putts:
151 made putts
97 missed putts.
So it is about a 60/40 ratio of made/missed putts (and that ratio never really changed)
Of those 97 missed putts, 41 touched the basket/chains/pin. Spit outs and lucky putts were even with 4 each.

It's not a whole lot of data yet (I try to keep going), but feel free to discuss. Btw. I only recorded players rated 1000+

What are you classifying as "putts" there? Everything in the circle? Everything from 10' to 30'? Everything, in or out of the circle, with a putting motion?

Don't get me wrong, it's great to have numbers, and I approve of your compiling them. Just wondering.

It's important to count how many of the misses were missed again (i.e. 3 putts). That can indicate scoring spread pertaining to putting.

Latest posts