• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is putting too easy? too hard? Just right?

Putting is?

• Putting is too easy, narrower basket would be nice on challenging courses

Votes: 90 17.9%
  • Putting is about right, keep the basket size

Votes: 398 79.1%
  • Putting is too hard, Make the baskets bigger

Votes: 15 3.0%

• Total voters
Wait ... are you advocating MORE scoring spread??????
Not personally advocating more spread but just indicating that it should be a goal if any change is made pertaining to baskets. Making them narrower would likely reduce spread not increase it among pros.

Would more or less putts be made if the basket was on the ground?

I'd actually say less. Having the chains/target at eye level is a pretty big deal when aiming. Same theory as getting down on your shot when playing pool.

Plus, misses would have a much higher chance of rolling away.

I put in a 9-hole rec course at a small park a couple years ago. The baskets were made by a local machine shop and only had 12 or so strands of chain per basket. Not ideal but they caught putts good enough. You just have to adjust yourself to the baskets at the course.

With the baskets a little tougher, AND it being a rec course, I made the greens more beginner friendly to compensate for the baskets. My thinking was it would help them in the long run and keep the course from getting stale for the noobs.

I handed the reins over to the local club who could take care of and promote the course better than I could 45 mins away. First thing they did was add inner chains. :doh:

Don't get me wrong, it was a nice improvement but it made putting even easier. Hopefully the end result will help the the first-timers catch the dg bug and help GROW THE SPORT! Right?

I guess it just depends on what you are used to and the course itself. The course I play on (Delaveaga) is infamously cruel. You can make a good putt, have it chain out and roll 100 feet down a ravine full of poison oak. A lot of putts are dangerous to go for (death putts galore). So I find putting hard for a lot of reasons. But if I always played with smaller baskets I guess it would just be part of the game. Or if the course I regularly played was in a flat, open, park, and I could go for every putt without fear, maybe I would appreciate more challenge to it.

At this point, a terrible upshot is exactly the same as a perfect upshot. Who cares if you're leaning on the pole, or 30' out? Still just takes one more shot.

First hole shows raised basket putting and then at 6:27 shows in ground putting.

This would emulate ball golf too much in player development. The best equipment would only be available to kids coming from families willing to buy a pro-sized practice basket. The rest would be stuck at the park playing on normal sized baskets (one could argue that this would actually be an advantage the average kid would have over the spoiled, sheltered rich kids). As someone else stated, this would also give current touring pros a huge advantage in tournaments. At least once they saved up enough money to buy a new basket to practice on.

A change would make it more challenging for the pro-tour, but I don't think it's a good idea if the tournament side of the sport wants to continue to grow.

This is the post of the year! One thing that I enjoy about dg is it stretches across all social classes and demographics. People that do not come across as trust fund babies to me are willing to pay $300 - $1k for dg bags which is ridiculous and now they have the gall to buy what would probably be a $300 - $500 practice basket. I am sure there are plenty of dger's that spend more per year on dg than on health insurance or investing in an IRA or 401k. The spoiled, sheltered rich kids are the bane of dg. i would not worry about the rich
kids having an advantage as they will be chasing girls, jetting off to exotic locations around the world and hanging out around the pool at the country club their families are members of instead practice putting on their fancy new baskets.

There is a buried basket on Old Glory at the hippodrome in North Augusta. It's kinda interesting but too gimmicky for my tastes. I would speculate based on anecdotal evidence that putting on that basket is slightly harder. However I think that is because it's something you never see. I think that if someone did a whole course like that and you were able to practice it would be easier to putt on in the long run.

It's definitely easier. Online, low putting is the bane of many players and you never miss low on ground baskets. ;)

I don't care, but the approach game would actually matter ...

*sigh of agreement*

As long as most disc golfers want a birdie game and not a par game the approach will never matter.

Making at approach at all means something was wrong with ones drive, or one's putt did not go in. << The thinking of many.

With par 3's being the standard, you only need one good throw to make par or birdie. A good drive, approach, or putt will get you a 2 or 3 for most holes on most courses. Two good throws and you're almost guaranteed a deuce on most holes. Either accept we like to get birds whenever possible, or change the easy holes to par 2. Or we could just stop trying to compare Disc Golf to Ball and Stick Whackers and do what we like...

Putting is getting too easy for pros. When there is a tournament, I think they should have smaller baskets since we can't extend courses that easily. For me, and other non-pros, it should stay as is

With par 3's being the standard, you only need one good throw to make par or birdie. A good drive, approach, or putt will get you a 2 or 3 for most holes on most courses. Two good throws and you're almost guaranteed a deuce on most holes. Either accept we like to get birds whenever possible, or change the easy holes to par 2. Or we could just stop trying to compare Disc Golf to Ball and Stick Whackers and do what we like...

I never get birdies, although I do get 2s. The thinking that changing par is changing anything is stupider that "must 2" holes.

I find putting frustrating enough, Wouldn't a smaller basket also result into more spit outs?

Also 200 posts, whoop!

I say we switch to a bowling ball or having to roll the frisbee inside the green with the basket in the ground. You can still throw a frisbee in from outside the green, but inside say 20 meters you have to bowl. The Wheel was just ahead of its time.

Latest posts