• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is putting too easy? too hard? Just right?

Putting is?

• Putting is too easy, narrower basket would be nice on challenging courses

Votes: 90 17.9%
  • Putting is about right, keep the basket size

Votes: 398 79.1%
  • Putting is too hard, Make the baskets bigger

Votes: 15 3.0%

• Total voters
The Japan Open courses also induce a lot of lay ups at distances they'd normally run (35-50 feet)

Right, when you said driving it didn't mention only par 3's. But yeah accuracy and putting would be more important with a narrower basket. Your mediocre putter would get punished more often then the top putters would.

We'll have to just disagree then. I don't care if it's a par3, 4, 5, or 100. If I'm better at putting my drive/upshot within the circle than you are, I will win. Having shorter approaches to make my upshots easier would be huge. Hence driving and driving distance on longer holes becomes even more important.

My buddy and I play often and keep score. We are usually very close. He is a much much much better putter than I am. We both have remarked that I park many more holes than I do. I'll put it within 10 feet while he's at 30. But he'll make that putt most of the time. Now if you narrow that basket, I'll still park the holes more than he will, but now he'll be missing more of those putts giving me the advantage.

Narrowing the basket (making putting harder) just increases the importance of driving to the hole.

Again I wouldn't be for going the extreme route the other way to bullseyes, Just narrower then the current baskets by a few 3-4 inches. It would make a difference but not enough where you suddenly are laying up in most situations.

Again I wouldn't be for going the extreme route the other way to bullseyes, Just narrower then the current baskets by a few 3-4 inches. It would make a difference but not enough where you suddenly are laying up in most situations.

You sound like a liberal.

"I understand your concerns and agree they are valid, but don't worry, I will make sure to do it in exactly the right way where your concerns won't be a factor."

Mounting the open basket or with smaller deflectors on top of the current basket for pros only would still allow players to go for it perhaps even more than with current baskets because a loft or spike style throw would be favored versus a laser with potential fly-by. However, holing from the misses would still be more challenging similar to the scoring spread dynamic for longer range putting in ball golf. Unless the change in the basket sufficiently increases the challenge for close range putts (that's the problem with narrowing, the change does little to improve scoring in the pro game.

You sound like a liberal.

"I understand your concerns and agree they are valid, but don't worry, I will make sure to do it in exactly the right way where your concerns won't be a factor."

LOL, I just want to be clear we are talking about the same thing. It sounds like some are concerned over a big change when really I'm talking about a slightly narrower target, maybe some want bullseyes, I don't think Paul meant that, and I certainly don't.

As someone mentioned earlier in the thread these baskets were designed for superclass sized discs, as discs got smaller the target stayed the same size. It only makes sense that the target fits the size of the disc.

Then, it certainly makes sense to require pros to simply use Super Class (24cm) or Ultra-Star (27cm) discs when inside 15m?

Then, it certainly makes sense to require pros to simply use Super Class (24cm) or Ultra-Star (27cm) discs when inside 15m?

Not a bad idea really, wind would certainly factor in much more. Not sure anyone would really go for that, especially the pro's who are already use to their putters.

The disc golf target zone is three dimensional versus 2D in ball golf so it's hard to make comparisons. However, if you remove the chains and just have a bucket, then the comparisons are more relevant.

How many golf balls wide is a cup? I'd guess 3?

How many golf discs wide is a basket? I'd guess 2 and 1/2?

Golf ball = 1.68 inch diameter
Golf hole = 4 inch diameter
Golf hole is 2.38 balls wide.

Golf discs are ~21.2 cm wide and ~1.5 cm tall.
Golf baskets are ~66 cm wide (diameter of basket) and ~51 cm high (height from bottom of chain assembly to top of basket)

So a golf target is ~3 discs wide but also about 34 discs tall. The target area for a golf disc is exponentially larger than the target area for a golf ball.

How many golf balls wide is a cup? I'd guess 3?

How many golf discs wide is a basket? I'd guess 2 and 1/2?

Relatively putting is way too easy in our game, it shouldn't be automatic to get up and down from 250 (barring no obstacles). That's my main issue I see, zero scoring spread. Having to add ropes which to me are a little cheesy, artificial walls and such. Mandos. Etc. The easiest solution in the long run would to narrow the targets some.

Yeah, but a ball golf hole doesn't have a catching device around it.

Not sure the significance of that statement. Cups have a catching device, it's called the bottom. It's two completely different objectives in that sense. You can also leave a putt sitting on the lip of the cup. Which means it's almost in and a guaranteed tap in. Hard to do that in DG. You can hit the basket and drop and sit, or drop and roll etc.

What I want to know is who is going to pay for these upgrades/modifications?

The PDGA? Which means you and all the other AMs.

You know the Pros aren't going to cough up the money.

How about some five gallon landscape planters with 8-10 ft clump bamboos…

you know… just set out for today or practice ramp up and event weekend. picked up tomorrow or at event tear down then returned to their rightful nursery owners after the short term rental agreement.

A whole new language of design. Like moving pawns around on a chessboard. Sure could be in the scoring third of the hole, or wherever.

i.e.. "This year… I'm envisioning adding one more fiber pot of bamboo on hole 14 than last year… but this time adding them in these locations" or "maybe I'm thinking of one of those leyland cypress for hole 17 … at the usual location"

Buying 2-3 sets of modification kits that can travel around to NT/Major sites and be outfitted on Open division courses isn't something that would be an unattainable financial burden. That would cover the "putting is too easy for the top pros" thing and leave the rest of the courses as is for us plebes who can't make a 10 footer with any consistency.

Golf ball = 1.68 inch diameter
Golf hole = 4 inch diameter
Golf hole is 2.38 balls wide.

Golf discs are ~21.2 cm wide and ~1.5 cm tall.
Golf baskets are ~66 cm wide (diameter of basket) and ~51 cm high (height from bottom of chain assembly to top of basket)

So a golf target is ~3 discs wide but also about 34 discs tall. The target area for a golf disc is exponentially larger than the target area for a golf ball.

Aren't the chains less wide across then the basket? That would probably be a better comparison then the cage, since the object is to hit the chains and then drop in. *Also consider the fact that the width of our target (the chains) narrows as it goes down.

I understand the argument for the height of a basket, but I don't think that's really comparable or an important part of the discussion.

In ball golf you need to get line and speed correct.

In disc golf you need to get line (left/right), speed, and height correct. *forgot to add disc angle too.

Also add in the inherent difference that a good BG putt that has a chance to go and can remain close to the hole (or right on top of it). If you have a DG putt that has a chance to go in, it will go past the hole for a come back. Depending on your style that is a long or short comeback. Then there is always the chance that a DG putt can "rollaway" etc to make that comeback even harder.

A good BG putt that gets 1/2 the ball inside the cup at the proper speed will fall in. We've all seen good DG putts that hit pole and bounce out, pass through, or what have you.

Yes DG putting is a bit easier, but I don't think it's so easy that we need to change the baskets.

Last edited:

The way I see it as feasible for the long term would to slowly move over. Not making the current obsolete and not making the newer option so different either. 20-30 year type timeframe. Baskets do deteriorate eventually. New courses could go with the new spec basket.

As far as the NT's, A company could donate baskets in return they get free advertising for an entire year (baskets shown on video = sell baskets). Baskets could get transported from one event to another via trailer.