• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is Silence Really Golden?

Is Silence Golden?

• Total voters
Personally I think disc golf needs to get over itself a bit.

I've only spectated a few top tier tournaments. In fairness they were wooded courses, so the marshals' jobs are a little more difficult, but I didn't find the experience to be particularly enjoyable. The marshals seemed to go way overboard and take their jobs way too seriously. You could barely get in position to see anything before you were getting told to stop moving. And half the time if you were in position to see they would tell you to move back (apparently every pro needs a 50 foot protective bubble to perform). "Give them space! Give them space!". If Tiger woods hits into the crowd he's got a line of people 4 feet from him on either side, surely McBeth can handle someone 20 feet away. If you want to grow spectators, there needs to be more balance between their needs and the players' needs. I've been to PGA tour events and they weren't nearly as bad.

Don't agree. I have spotted and marshaled several events, including tour events and majors. I have also played in several. The only spectators that ever seemed to get spoken to, were those with little common sense and needing supervision. Perhaps you ran across an overzealous volunteer, or perhaps you were the problem?

Some might think they should be able to stand wherever they want, but safety and liability are pretty big factors. Some might think it is only their risk, but a spectator getting injured at an event could easily place the future of the event in jeopardy, perhaps even golf at the venue.

It's a respect thing. When people are throwing you STFU. That said, you can't control background noise and other people so it helps if you can focus and block it out. Sometimes people will apologize for talking after I launch an errant throw, but usually, it was my own fault for throwing poorly not the distraction.

I usually bring this up at some point with a crew... Silence or just have fun and do whatever..?

some say silence please
others don't mind talking and all that...

I'm in the latter... regardless, whatever someone wants is OK with me, but I let folks know that they are free to talk when I am throwing.

It's less about team sports vs individual competition as to what they are modeling: combat, hunting or survival.

Combat simulators are very loud and rambunctious(soccer, American football, MMA, boxing...).

Survival simulators tends to have cheering but much less rambunctious ( cross country, Olympic weightlifting...)

Hunting simulators tend to be very quite. One, after all, does not want to spook the game. (Golf, archery, darts... and yes, disc golf.)

Just as there are combat simulators that are individual(MMA), there are hunting simulators (long range shooting) that are team based. MMA is loud whilst long range shooting is very quite.

I've never come across this breakdown of types of sport, I like it, it makes sense. Have you got any further reading on analysis of sport within this framework?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I've never come across this breakdown of types of sport, I like it, it makes sense. Have you got any further reading on analysis of sport within this framework?

This is synthic knowledge gathered over the last 30 years of reading articles and textbooks on everything from the religious origins of soccer( football for anyone not in the United States) to why children and cats play act hunting to evolutionary psychology of why women prefer mates with strong upper body strength, and lots in between.

I have never read a single article or paper that lays it out in this manner; perhaps I should be the one to write it.

Anyway, here are a few pieces that might whet your appetite.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com.au/history/where-did-soccer-start-archaeology-weighs-in.aspx

https://www.weenect.com/blog/en/pets/how-do-cats-learn-how-to-hunt/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5745404/

Last edited:
This is synthic knowledge gathered over the last 30 years of reading articles and textbooks on everything from the religious origins of soccer( football for anyone not in the United States) to why children and cats play act hunting to evolutionary psychology of why women prefer mates with strong upper body strength, and lots in between.

I have never read a single article or paper that lays it out in this manner; perhaps I should be the one to write it.

Anyway, here are a few pieces that might whet your appetite.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com.au/history/where-did-soccer-start-archaeology-weighs-in.aspx

https://www.weenect.com/blog/en/pets/how-do-cats-learn-how-to-hunt/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5745404/
Thank you, appreciate that. And interesting reading.

My best friend used to have only Sundays off. He'd chase the family out of the house, turn the tv on quietly, and take a nap. First he tried golf, but found that the long stretches of quiet punctuated by roars from the crowd was too disruptive. He finally settled on NASCAR, which he didn't even like, but the low, constant drone of the cars really hid other noises and was conducive to a good nap.

I voted no. It really chaps me when others demand absolute silence to throw but don't offer the same in return.

Last edited:
I believe everyone has the right to ask for whatever consideration or conditions they prefer. A quick shushing motion ought to be enough for everyone on the group to understand that that particular individual prefers silence. On the other end, there's Happy Gilmore's hockey-ish approach to the game...

The absurd side of it is the person who's putting, and hears yelling from the soccer field a hundred yards away...Miss the putt and start cursing 'those effing Nigerians, man!' I've heard it, and I've recoiled from the pure stupidity of it. Some people just don't have the right attitude about things.
Like those soccer players should somehow know that we're 'golfing,' and that they should also keep their voices down? Really, Mr. Professional? Have they not the right to play THEIR game in a manner consistent with THEIR rules?

Get thee over thyself.

I believe everyone has the right to ask for whatever consideration or conditions they prefer. A quick shushing motion ought to be enough for everyone on the group to understand that that particular individual prefers silence. On the other end, there's Happy Gilmore's hockey-ish approach to the game...

The absurd side of it is the person who's putting, and hears yelling from the soccer field a hundred yards away...Miss the putt and start cursing 'those effing Nigerians, man!' I've heard it, and I've recoiled from the pure stupidity of it. Some people just don't have the right attitude about things.
Like those soccer players should somehow know that we're 'golfing,' and that they should also keep their voices down? Really, Mr. Professional? Have they not the right to play THEIR game in a manner consistent with THEIR rules?

Get thee over thyself.
There is a local guy here who is so anal about noise and where other people are standing, it just drives the whole mood of the group down. You could be 100ft to the side and if you were anywhere near level with him, he would wave you back. Like somehow that 10ft matters when you're still in sight, lol.

One time before he tee'd off, he literally walked a couple hundred feet away to tell some couple who were taking pics with their puppy to stop squeaking the dog toy they were using to get its attention... They weren't anywhere close to being in the way and I could barely hear it... smh

The Nantucket Open has had a Razz Round for several years, posted on YouTube. The players seem to do okay, and have a good time as long as nobody is physically interfering. GBO tried their own version of it this past year, but it was a little too manufactured and cringey, as you might expect from DD.

I think it'd be easier to tune out a cicada-like swarm of noise on a lead card, rather than playing with a very small gallery in the woods where one or two people might whoop at the wrong time.

underlined I bet that was due to the people only allowed to diss players that were not Dynamic Disc, Westside Discs or Latitude 64.

I agree with the last thing you said, I had a person yell foot fault every time I went up to putt and it was annoying. Yeah I did a foot fault, by mistake I admitted it but this person every time somebody makes a big mistake like that just before whatever is the mistake the person made in the round did he would call it out. lets just say a particular player did not want to be paired in tournaments with others. You call him out on his ~28-33 foot inside the circle putts for claiming free and clear of distractions for excesive use of time before he does it and he will do it about 99% of the time, he will take the writing for a card write up a dumb penalty that did happen and he will try to if you challenge to use said penalty get you suspended well basically he always ended up with a warning that if he did what he did again he was ban from the tournament. He a guy then in his 60's played really well otherwise and he same putt if it was just outside the circle the guy could jump putt or sometimes just to show off do a regular putt and be fine but get in in that over 25-26 feet but under circle and he would start shaking to the point he looks like somebody with Cerebral Palsy who gets the shaking. He was a not the easiest person to play with (I was not great for how slow I was) and he only could play well in time limits when he and his son were on the same card.

Last edited:
underlined I bet that was due to the people only allowed to diss players that were not Dynamic Disc, Westside Discs or Latitude 64.

The whole point of a razz round, is that the crowd gets to razz everyone and everyone has fun with it. Once again you're speaking out your ass without a clue of what's coming out.

It would have taken you all of 30sec to go to youtube and search Glass Blown Open Razz Round. On the first hole, someone blew an air horn right in Dynamic Discs team member Paige Pierce's run up on the approach shot... not to mention the cowbells, yelling and all the other stuff that was going on when they ALL were throwing.

Next time, try to do some research before you make such an idiotic accusation...

Last edited:
I'm going to vote no, purely because I had a car honk at me in my backswing on the weekend, and it didn't affect my throw at all. Nice flat release, super smooth and parked the pin.

All be it the wrong pin (thought the basket was in long position) so of course I used it as an excuse and my buddy and I just ended up laughing about it.

I don't think noise affects people as much as dead silence does, but that's just me.

Don't agree. I have spotted and marshaled several events, including tour events and majors. I have also played in several. The only spectators that ever seemed to get spoken to, were those with little common sense and needing supervision. Perhaps you ran across an overzealous volunteer, or perhaps you were the problem?

Some might think they should be able to stand wherever they want, but safety and liability are pretty big factors. Some might think it is only their risk, but a spectator getting injured at an event could easily place the future of the event in jeopardy, perhaps even golf at the venue.

I suppose it could have been the particular event. The only experience I have outside of DG with an event that would require similar needs was the USGA amateur championships during the match play portion. Although the crowds were substantially more than a disc golf tournament, they were much less than a PGA event. The marshals for the most part seemed invisible aside from directing the spectators to the next hole. We were literally allowed to follow the players up the fairway to their ball and stand directly behind them while they made their shot selection and took their shot. Most spectators were probably golfers and understood where it was appropriate to stand, when you should stop moving, and when to be quiet. Similarly I'm pretty sure everyone at the DG tournaments I've spectated were probably likewise recreational disc golfers and understood the appropriate conduct as a spectator. I think the marshals could have been much more hands off with their marshaling, similar to how the USGA tournament was handled. Personally I felt like the marshals were causing more of a disturbance and distraction than any of the spectators. I mean we all know we need to be still and quiet when someone is getting ready to throw, we don't need to be told multiple times while someone is digging through their bag.

The whole point of a razz round, is that the crowd gets to razz everyone and everyone has fun with it. Once again you're speaking out your ass without a clue of what's coming out.

It would have taken you all of 30sec to go to youtube and search Glass Blown Open Razz Round. On the first hole, someone blew an air horn right in Dynamic Discs team member Paige Pierce's run up on the approach shot... not to mention the cowbells, yelling and all the other stuff that was going on when they ALL were throwing.

Next time, try to do some research before you make such an idiotic accusation...

i didnt know this existed

omf this is annoying

There is a local guy here who is so anal about noise and where other people are standing, it just drives the whole mood of the group down. You could be 100ft to the side and if you were anywhere near level with him, he would wave you back. Like somehow that 10ft matters when you're still in sight, lol.

One time before he tee'd off, he literally walked a couple hundred feet away to tell some couple who were taking pics with their puppy to stop squeaking the dog toy they were using to get its attention... They weren't anywhere close to being in the way and I could barely hear it... smh

if you are in South Florida i think I played with this guy. And I hate the fact that players are suppose to wait behind the furthest disc before proceeding. Golf balls can kill you, a disc won't, yet in ball golf all the players go their ball for the most part, even if it is ahead of other players. I find this rule slows down play in the extreme. The ones that are picky about seem to always move around the basket while others are putting. I think disc golf needs a major update in how groups approach play. One thing I would like is for players to putt out after a miss. Then get the heck out of the way. This circling around waiting for a drop-in putt causes a lot of issues.

i didnt know this existed

omf this is annoying

The razzing in general isn't too bad(the Nantucket one was much better) but i remember watching live and was so worried someone was going to get killed because of how close they were lined up down the fairway, that I turned it off. I think that was on the 2nd or third hole.

Latest posts