• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Rant about complaining at Worlds.

Four hour rounds at Winton will do them in... :gross:

Four hours at Winton should be about 10-12 rounds, am I right?:thmbup: We had a herd of 15 one evening that played Winton in an hour and change.

Well he was exaggerating a little for that course, but we have been known to play 5 or 6 hour rounds at idlewild and Lincoln ridge. Tbird joined us at winton once, I think it took 2 1/2 but we had over 10 people...

We aren't out there trying to set speed records though, very laid back group... well except for the ball busting.

yeah, I played with JayDub...that cat is slow....and he takes a while discing, too...

ba-dum-tsshhhhh

FWIW it seems like the younger generation of pros are, generally speaking, a lot better at keeping this sort of crap to themselves. I also think it can be a regional thing to an extent too. Pro's from certain geographic areas seem to gripe more then others.

Lord save use all from masters lead cards once Feldberg goes age protected and is playing climo in every event.

That may be true by a strict reading of the wording, but in the real world, 40 years of actual practice trumps semantics every time.

If we're talking about changing the rule, which is what I was responding to, then perhaps a more strict interpretation of the current rule would be a step in the direction we want. It certainly would be easier than trying to re-write the book.

I think the biggest problem we have in the game in terms of rule enforcement isn't the rules themselves. It's the existing culture of loose and/or non-enforcement of the book as it's written. We can go round and round and round discussing changes to the book or even making changes to the book, but if the culture remains the same, we're not going to improve anything.

The Stokely thing is the latest perfect example. Seems like everyone's first instinct was to assume Stokely didn't fault and the other players were just trying to screw with him because the prevailing culture is no one calls foot faults without an ulterior motive. If complying with the stance rule properly AND enforcing the stance rule properly were the consistent norm, then those calls on Stokely would never have raised any alarms. The default reaction would be it was a legit call and nothing about it would have even made it online.

This seems to say (my words) that complaining happens in all pro sports by a good percentage of the pro players.

I have never noticed that if it's true.

Not necessarily a high percentage, but every sport has some. Watch the PGA Tour, Bubba Watson morphs into an 8 year old child throwing a tantrum over ice cream if he's having a bad round.

Saturday at moraine was the first live tourney I've ever spectated, and I was pretty impressed with the way the pros handled themselves. I watched the top card and there was a 300+ gallery following them on a course not well designed for spectating. I witnessed only one complaint the whole round, and it wasn't even really a complaint, just Will asking a couple spectators to move to the side a bit.

Not necessarily a high percentage, but every sport has some. Watch the PGA Tour, Bubba Watson morphs into an 8 year old child throwing a tantrum over ice cream if he's having a bad round.

Saturday at moraine was the first live tourney I've ever spectated, and I was pretty impressed with the way the pros handled themselves. I watched the top card and there was a 300+ gallery following them on a course not well designed for spectating. I witnessed only one complaint the whole round, and it wasn't even really a complaint, just Will asking a couple spectators to move to the side a bit.

The pressure dg pros trying to make a living at it has to be enormous due to essentially living on limited income so every shot counts. If disc golfers had pro caddies they listened to their frustration would possibly be worse. % wise, disc golf pros complain significantly more while on the course than PGA tour players although a lot of PGA tour players wait until the round is over to show frustration out of the publics view. Perez, Bubba and Sabatini are the exceptions. Tiger shows more restraint than anyone and could complain about media and photographers on every hole but takes the high road. I have been in the locker room at a few Champions Tour and PGA Tour events and it is more laid back than expected but you can really tell who the majority of players dislike due to whinyness and conversations they have watching the live feed. Justin Leonard was always one of my favorites going back to when he played at UT but I saw him teeing off on his caddy about not knowing the course and clubbing him incorrectly outside of the players entrance to the clubhouse (outside of the publics view) at the Heritage one year while players and caddies were walking by and it was very disappointing. The funniest thing I have seen was when Norman lost the Masters and the next week at the Heritage a guy heckled him which pissed off the caddy (any guesses who). The caddy dropped the bag and tackled they guy outside of the ropes. Thankfully nothing like that has happened in dg.

In many sports, players are expected to perform with precision while 15,000 people scream, wave pompoms, use noisemakers, etc. Minor distractions should not affect a player's ability to concentrate on a putt. I'm not saying they don't; I am saying they shouldn't.

But I do like the sportsmanship aspect of the game, trying to be respectful when someone else is throwing. Less whining would be good, though.

FWIW it seems like the younger generation of pros are, generally speaking, a lot better at keeping this sort of crap to themselves. I also think it can be a regional thing to an extent too. Pro's from certain geographic areas seem to gripe more then others.
My mentality (and that of a couple other in my group) has always been that when I complain I simply give my opponents fuel for their game, and that if you're going to be a crybaby when you play with me I'm going to use it to get in your head. It's amazing how the amount of crying, whining, and general bitchiness in our group has gone down once we quit tolerating it.

I know a casual, ad-hoc group of players is much different than a tournament card, but changing a culture really is about setting expectations and following through on them. If Nikko (as an easy example) got a month off the next time he kicked a bag, the message would be sent loud and clear. Start by punishing the major infractions and work your way down to the little stuff until things are at the level of professionalism desired by the community. However, given that the crybaby nonsense is tolerated I can only assume that most people don't mind it and that it's here to stay for a while.

Ive been guilty of this and have changed (i.e. complaining)

Now I say let them whine.

Jack Nicklaus always said he loved to listen to fellow players complain about a golf course because he figured for every one who did, it was one less person he would have to beat that week.

Ive been guilty of this and have changed (i.e. complaining)

Now I say let them whine.

Jack Nicklaus always said he loved to listen to fellow players complain about a golf course because he figured for every one who did, it was one less person he would have to beat that week.

In his prime Nicklaus could out drive and beat the modern golfers with persimmon woods.

. . .
I think the biggest problem we have in the game in terms of rule enforcement isn't the rules themselves. It's the existing culture of loose and/or non-enforcement of the book as it's written. We can go round and round and round discussing changes to the book or even making changes to the book, but if the culture remains the same, we're not going to improve anything.

The Stokely thing is the latest perfect example. Seems like everyone's first instinct was to assume Stokely didn't fault and the other players were just trying to screw with him because the prevailing culture is no one calls foot faults without an ulterior motive. If complying with the stance rule properly AND enforcing the stance rule properly were the consistent norm, then those calls on Stokely would never have raised any alarms. The default reaction would be it was a legit call and nothing about it would have even made it online.

You're right about the existing culture, you're wrong about how to improve it. Ignore all foot faults after the throw, ignore the 30second rule. If you can tell someone their stance is illegal prior to them throwing (q: "Am I good?" a: "y/n') then tell them. If you didn't tell them before they threw -- then be quiet. It's like tennis without an umpire -- unless it's called by the player that hit it, it's in. It's like old school pickup basketball, defense calls the foul. Foot faults and time only lead to bad feelings and bad golf. How to fix it? Don't -- ignore it. The rule isn't bad, the people aren't bad, it's just a glitch in the system it's a better competition when these rules are ignored. If in the future there's a resource that allows someone/something else to handle these contentious issues -- great. Until then ignore. I won't post anything else as you can re-read my responses to the inevitable name-calling that follows from previous threads - just seemed worth re-typing since new folks are probably interested in this typical post-Worlds whine-fest.

:)

In many sports, players are expected to perform with precision while 15,000 people scream, wave pompoms, use noisemakers, etc. Minor distractions should not affect a player's ability to concentrate on a putt.

It's different when you have one particular level of noise, then get a loud distraction... Vs having the whole audience go nuts the whole time. I'd way rather have the 2nd.

Try sleeping with a fan on vs an alarm clock and see if they are evenly distracting.

Or we could dispel the myth that one's 30 second clock can be reset (or even paused) once it starts.

The rule only contains criteria for when one's 30 seconds begins: (1) previous player has thrown, (2) reasonable time to arrive at the lie, (3) playing area clear and free of distractions. Nothing about new distractions or anything at all allowing for a fresh 30 seconds once the count has start.

I would argue the opposite. No where is the word 'begins' or 'starts' used. The wording says you get up to 30 seconds after the area is clear of distractions. If the area is clear, then unclear, and becomes clear again, then it wasn't really clear in any meaningful sense in the beginning, was it?

Are you suggesting all distractions must be nonstop to be considered as unclear?

What stops someone from being distracting once the 30 sec begins then, if it's a one-way trip?

I recall playing a round at an NT with a fairly decorated touring player (a former World champ at that point) a few years back. Every tree he hit "shouldn't be there". If he had an obstructed lie, he shouldn't be "punished for a good throw". Basically every thing that wasn't just right was poor design or bad luck. So after a few holes of this (and having played a round with him elsewhere where I had heard the same kinds of things), I had to ask him in as friendly and joking a manner as I could: "Was the course this poorly designed last year when you won this tournament, or did they re-do everything in the last 12 months just to mess with you?"

Got a laugh from our cardmates, but he seemed to get the message. The rest of the round was pleasant, we had fun, and he ended up absolutely crushing his round and moving up the standings. Sometimes all these guys need is a reminder of where they are and what they're doing is supposed to be fun.

Latest posts