• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Is the Valkyrie on the "not cool" list? What gives?

For those of you that have moved up to a beast after throwing a valk, you might think twice after trying an echo star valk. The 172 that I have has a higher PLH than my other valks and is domey. It can handle a little headwind and goes far.

I like DX and Champ but for different shots. When I got the Star Valk, that changed. My Champs didn't seem as great as they did before. I liked the Star more than the Champ for several reasons. One of the big reasons is that it is a little more overstable than the Champ but it is worth mentioning that I picked out a high PLH when I bought my Star. Because of this I got a little extra stability and kept (or maybe even increased) the glide. This Star Valk flat out booommmbs. If you like your Champ Valks there is a really good chance you will love the Star as well, assuming you are up for trying a new disc.

What's kept me from trying out a Star Valkyrie is that it seems the ones I've seen had pretty flat tops. I like DX Valks with a little dome to them and was thinking the flatter Star ones would be more projectile, without the glide I'm looking for. But that's just guesswork - I don't actually know how a Valkyrie with a flat top would fly.

Are you getting the big glide with a relatively flat topped Valk or should I keep my eyes open for a domey one?

I think my tastes are very similar to yours.

I like DX and Champ but for different shots. When I got the Star Valk, that changed. My Champs didn't seem as great as they did before. I liked the Star more than the Champ for several reasons. One of the big reasons is that it is a little more overstable than the Champ but it is worth mentioning that I picked out a high PLH when I bought my Star. Because of this I got a little extra stability and kept (or maybe even increased) the glide. This Star Valk flat out booommmbs. If you like your Champ Valks there is a really good chance you will love the Star as well, assuming you are up for trying a new disc.

I still keep DX in the bag even though I have a Champ and a Star.

That's great! I was about to change this into "Why no love for star valks?!" Pretty much it was only how great the champs were. I have a 167 star, that kind of domes into a flat. It has earned it's place in my bag, and it's not losing it. I need to get a new DX though. But I'm not sure if I should try champ though. My parents might get mad at me for having the same disc in lots of different plastics, but since I love the valk so much, I should.

My buds fished a Valk from a tree 2 days ago. Turned out to be a nice 149 Gummy Valk. Right off the bat I said "Thats a womans disc... if I can't throw this here Ninja, you can't throw that thing!" This is the second time this has worked: The only woman around is usually my wife. She was gifted both discs. :p

What's kept me from trying out a Star Valkyrie is that it seems the ones I've seen had pretty flat tops. I like DX Valks with a little dome to them and was thinking the flatter Star ones would be more projectile, without the glide I'm looking for. But that's just guesswork - I don't actually know how a Valkyrie with a flat top would fly.

Are you getting the big glide with a relatively flat topped Valk or should I keep my eyes open for a domey one?

I have 6 or 7 that I throw, Dx, Champ, and Star.

The Dx are the flippiest, easy to turn over, good when you start throwing Valks, they have excellent glide.

My experience is the flat ones go the same distance as the domey ones do, but its a different line.

The flat tops fly more like Wraiths for me, straight.
More of a " J " flight, less " S " than the domey ones.
They seem to be faster out of the hand, easier to accelerate quickly with some snap, without the risk of turning over as much.

I think the flat tops are better when you gain some experience with Valks, with less high speed turn, they require less fairway width to do thier thing.

Its easier to throw an anny with a flat top, then it is to throw a full power hyzer shot with the domey disc, so the flat top can work more lines.
With my stacks of domey Valks just collecting dust, now I just look for the flatty Star discs.

I have 2 star valks - a 150 with a flat top, and a domey 167 (not sure if the weight has any bearing on the domey-ness). My flat 150 is my go-to in all conditions except headwind; it flies fast, holds its line great, and has plenty of glide. My domey 167 does not seem to glide as well, and as you would expect is a little more difficult to flip.

I always find myself pulling my Valk out of my bag for drives on every course... Its so easy to throw and i can put it on any lie i choose... I feel like i'm cheating when i'm using it, or maybe it's just that good a disc... I might need to rethink it's importance...

thats me for sure... at least I have a sweet Champion Tie Dye I foud, birght as hell so no losing I hope

It is pretty domey; I have an impossibly flat Champ Valk that is overstable enough for some decent headwinds.
The domey gets its destance from glide and my flatter one gets its distance from its speed. Both are great but for much different shots. Captain Jack's descriptions sound spot-on.

People think because the Valkyrie holds the distance record, it is something special. Well it isn't. That 820' distance record means nothing because of huge tailwinds the day that record was set. Someone threw a Teebird over 800' that day also.

Valks are on my "not cool" list because of that.

I love valks. I havent been playing long, but i have a 167 gram star that was my first real driver. It got me from 300 feet all the way up to 350 feet. then it started turning over for me so it is now my long distance anny disc. I picked up a 171 champ that is my main driver now. it turns just the right amount for some pretty throws. I get those to about 375-380 ish now. they are definately on my cool list.

Latest posts