• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Jacquard iDye Poly -- Rit Replacement

Do they make liquid iDye? And if they don't does the powdered stuff not take to the plastic after storing it for a while?

Nope, just the powdered. I dissolved it and boiled it with water and store it in glass mason jars, I've had no problems with it. We'll see in a year, but I can't imagine it would have any problems.

Dyes faster than RIT, marbles faster than RIT, keeps longer than RIT, why hunt down something that doesn't work as well. Plus cool dye packets. Only drawback is your color choices, but if you play around enough you can get some good ones.

A ton, it's very concentrated and doesn't contain salt like rit, the little packet is all dye. I initially mixed it with 32oz water so I could store it in mason jars, but I just keep that as a concentrate for most colors and mix a 1/2c of that with 2-3c of water for dipping.

I'm thinking about ordering some of this (at least the black for champion plastic). Is anyone cutting the package open to pour in the powder or are you all just putting in the "dissolvable" package in the water? Just wondering if the package not fully dissolving might have something to with the stuff in the bottom of the container or the little globules some people are running into.

I'm thinking about ordering some of this (at least the black for champion plastic). Is anyone cutting the package open to pour in the powder or are you all just putting in the "dissolvable" package in the water? Just wondering if the package not fully dissolving might have something to with the stuff in the bottom of the container or the little globules some people are running into.
I've just been tossing the packet in the water and boiling no mess left behind and cleaner all around.

I put in the whole package, start with near simmering water and use a fork to break it up, then continue to do so until everything is dissolved. If you're thorough there shouldn't be any clumps or globs, I also let it simmer for 5-10 minutes to make sure the dye really dissolves into the water.

I think the globules are from using the intensifier, DO NOT use it, just makes a mess and ruins the dye. My avatar disc pic was done start to finish with iDye poly.

I've also seen them from undissolved packet that traps a little air/powder, I've never added the intensifier, but messed around with it for painting with poor results. I'd never add it to the dye.

Dig that dye NorthernDisc, it's sweet. All of my Okthrowberfest disc was done with iDye as well, with the exception of a touch of Kelly green for painting.

I think the globules are from using the intensifier, DO NOT use it, just makes a mess and ruins the dye. My avatar disc pic was done start to finish with iDye poly.

Just to add some additional comment on this: The dye seems to work fine with the intensifier - for me at least - as far as the color goes. But it makes it _insanely_ messy to work with. For no discernible gain.

So I would second the "DO NOT use it".

I've also seen them from undissolved packet that traps a little air/powder, I've never added the intensifier, but messed around with it for painting with poor results. I'd never add it to the dye.

Dig that dye NorthernDisc, it's sweet. All of my Okthrowberfest disc was done with iDye as well, with the exception of a touch of Kelly green for painting.

Thanks man, love Nightmare Princess. Was my pick to win. I just can't seem to get the painting down with iDye, always comes out too light. Guess I just have to tinker a bit more. Did you paint with the iDye as well as the Kelly Green?

went to my store and they dont carry idye. i did however see a brand named Dylon. just wondering if anyone has had experience with it.

i get mine from softexpressions.com usually they have it in stock and on sale. Last ones cost me 2.98 apiece. Also make sure you get iDye poly, and Dylon is all wrong.

Thanks NorthernDisc, The only thing I hot dipped was the black on Nightmare Princess, all the other colors were painted on. I haven't been using acetone to paint, just dye/shaving cream. I think I'm going to work on putting together a tutorial for this method. I've been messing around with this on the last few dyes and think I have enough information to put something together to share.

@silverbullet: Dylon doesn't work, the easy way to tell if a dye has a chance to work is if the packaging says it will work on synthetic fibers, if it just lists natural fibers it won't work. iDye was the first one I'd come across that had something for synthetics besides RIT.

Great Thread
I was wondering if anybody has tried shaving cream as a thickener for dye applied using silk screen method? I know there are some poly friendly inks out there but they tend to lay on top of the disc. So I was wondering if anybody has tried using dye with an agent in the silk screen process

Anyone tried the iDye GREEN? I have the need to use green, but I was hoping to hear if anyone's had success/failure with the iDye green.

Latest posts