• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] Kastaplast Järn

Well after about another dozen rounds since my last post in this thread I can say I was wrong about the Järn kicking both zones and the Buzzz OS out of the bag. The Järn is too overstable to really fit all those roles. It's definitely going to kick out my beefy zone and my Buzzz OS out of the bag, but it's a good deal more overstable than either. There's plenty of room between it and a less stable or worn in zone. Big stability jump between it and an Envy, regardless of the plastic the envy is in.

Honestly the best praise/comparison I can give the Järn is that it's a lot like a baby Flare. It'll go straight for a while if your really hammer it, but it wants to fade hard and skip regardless of how hard it's thrown. Softer throws require anhyzer or they'll just fall out of the air. It's very rangeable, but took some getting used to as it was fading much sooner than discs I've used previously in that slot. Once I accepted how overstable it is I started to fillet my local woods course with it. I absolutely love this thing, and I feel like moose33 would too. Gotta get him to try one.

I hate the Jarn. I hate how it feels, how it flies, how it looks. Under no circumstances would I choose the Jarn over another OS driving putter. It just really felt offensive to throw.

I was able to pick one up this week from pure dg (Charlie Goodpasture's store — still had a few for those looking).

After getting in some first field throws I have a similar opinion to others, but maybe a slightly different perspective. It looks and feels a lot like a zone became a true midrange, so imo it flies like it too (faster, needs more zing to stay straight, etc). Unfortunately the sharper bevel feels a lot like a bead in the hand, not my favorite.

One weird thing I wanted to ask about: does the inside of y'all's rims feel slick? Mine does. The disc is very much K1 plastic feel everywhere else, but the inside of the rim is slicker, almost like feel of mold release. It makes me wonder if it's intentional? Some really grippy plastics like my nuetron entropy can get a little griplocky FH I could see it being like what prodigy does to some of their disc bottoms, but I have no idea and not seen anyone mention anything like that. Guessing it's a fluke.

Just wanted to add a quick prelim review to the discussion. I'll definitely need a lot more time to figure this thing out and know how it handles all different types of shots, but so far it's pretty good. It's VERY overstable and very dependable. I was using an Exo Hard Tactic for the last year for my O/S approach disc (and always have a Berg for my straight approach). And it was really good, but always wanted it in a premium slick plastic, like Neo or C line or something like that. It's so tacky and grippy, that sometimes I'd grip lock it right and end up WAY out of position. And I'm not about to spend 30-35 bucks on a Claw II. So I saw Kastaplast came out with this Jarn and picked one up.

It's maybe a touch faster than most other "normal" approach discs, has a very hard fade, very low glide and fights wind very well. Also can get some good skip off the ground or ground play as well. I've only thrown it like 8-10 times so far on course, so haven't had time to mess with it, trying all sorts of shots. But it's very dependable, gets to ground quick, and fades hard. I have a very O/S Prodigy A3, a normal A4, and an Exo Hard Tactic, and it's more stable than all of those! And my A3 gets turning fast and falls out of the air quick. I think with it being a speed 4.5, you might need to throw it pretty hard to get a more straight to fade flight. Whereas at slower speeds (like on approaches) it's much more O/S and turns really quick.

It also has very low glide and wants to fall out of the air like a Berg. So you can throw it to where you want it to land, and know that it'll just die and kick left. At this point, it seems more like a utility disc for specific shots than a good all around approach. I'm trying to only carry 4 total throwing putters and approach discs now (2 throwing putters, 2 approach). So I've got my putters on lock down. I carry 2 out of the 3, depending on the course. A Neutron Proxy (for unerstable to straight shots), Neutron Ion (for straight to slight fade shots) and an Eclipse Envy (for straight to medium fade shots). Then my Berg and a Tactic. And so far, this thing is TOO O/S to be really useful in lots of situations. But that could change as time goes on and it gets more beat in or I get used to it more. Who knows.

Feel in the hand though is amazing! A lot like a Tactic or Zone, but with that absolutely money K1 plastic and feel. BOARD flat on top and I just LOVE how it feels! This Jarn/Tactic/Zone disc shape has to be one of my favorite feeling discs in my hand. And I'd say it's my favorite feeling FH disc of ALL discs. Even more so than my FD2 or X2. The plastic has some flex to it, but not too much. And NO weird flashing or anything. It's super smooth right out of the box and feels SO good in the hand for BH and FH. And the K1 plastic means it's not going to be so tacky or sticky that it grip locks coming out on soft approaches (like my Exo Tactic does sometimes).

I think once I get more time with this in practice and on the course, it could be a go to approach disc. Whereas right now, I'm just using it for wind shots or approaches that need a hard skip left because of something blocking my line. Tough to say right now. It's SO O/S and low glide that I'm not sure if it will end up being a keeper or not. I might try one of the new Evolution plastic Tactics to see if it's similar but less O/S, as I think the Claw II is going to be almost like this Jarn (but WAY too expensive). Time will tell.

I keep seeing the comparisons to the zone/tactic here, and the more I throw the Järn, the less I agree with that. It's not a grown up zone or a faster razor claw, it's the streamline flare's little brother. Same dependable, almost extreme overstability. Same ability to hold straight in any wind, or with all the power I can put on it. Same ability to get nice skips. Same comfort in the hand and super flat top. Outside of the stego, it's the most overstable disc I've thrown in this speed range, a good deal more so than a z zone, 500 A2, rc2, or any harp. It's not the disc most people will probably want it to be, but it is phenomenal.

ok i got the first run of Jarn but charlie goodpasture put some new ones up and i like them much better. Flight was totally different, closer to the numbers, didnt just dump. much more useful and will stay in the bag. after i looked at the first run i got, one doesnt seem as close to round as most discs do. i know nothing can be perfect, its a 20$ disc, but something wasnt right

The one that I've thrown is not anywhere near as overstable as some have said. It's more like an A3 or Harpoon. It will hold up to some power, but the fade isn't very strong.

I think an A2 is more overstable but i think the jarn is more than an anvil or zone. I still have some testing. Just glad it wasnt what i got on the first release(in the states)

It's really interesting seeing so many people saying the Järn is more mellow than the A2. Both of mine are SO much more overstable than my A2. I wonder if there was an adjustment made in the tooling, or the molding/cooling process, or if there's just a lot more variability in this mold than typical for Kastaplast.

I can't get over the rim wall on the Jarn that's not straight up and down, but angled. I can't get my finger pads flush with the wall on forehands. There's no firm push available because the damn wall is angled. Why, Kastaplast? Why?

So K3 released like 7 months ago. I haven't thrown one but all the ones I've seen have been really flat or even puddle topped with that classic K3 feel.

I have a friend who's had a K3 for a few months and claims that not only is it more overstable when new (expected), it also doesn't seem to be beating in at all. He even says he's seen people saying it might be one of those unicorn discs that gets more overstable as it beats in (the K3 version).

I'm having trouble finding people who've thrown the K3 enough to beat one in, anyone here who has experience with them?

I recently acquired a Järn in K1 Glow plastic. I have been using Tactics in my stable approach disc slot and currently bag one in Neo and one in Extra Soft Exo plastics. I throw a lot of forehand anyhyzer shots and it is a key part of my game. I wanted a disc with similar hand feel than Tactic but just a little more stability and fade. I got a recommendation for Järn.

After two rounds with Järn I can say it is the perfect overstable approach disc for me. Järn flies a little faster than Tactic but also has more stability to compensate the speed. Järn feels good both forehand and backhand and it is very workable with angle control. It wants to stay in the air and has good sideways movement. I have never bagged a overstable midrange but I think Järn could work well in that slot too. Järn does not replace my Tactics but instead complements them really well.

I like the K1 Glow plastic because of the gummier feel. Regular K1 felt too slick in my hand.

Latest posts