• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Katana vs. SL vs. Sidewinder

djjeremiahj

Double Eagle Member
I dont own one, but i have read a lot on this forum....

It seems like these 3 are the same disc (usage) in different lengths. (obviously the plastic does affect the flight slightly..)

can someone give us an idea what the differences and uses are for each?

Today i passed up buying the Star Katana because i wasnt sure that it offered anything that my SL and Sidewinder dont already offer. (other than an extra 15-20 feet but a lot more open spaces is required?)

In my experience the Sidewinder is much easier to flip, but here we're comparing a Speed 9 disc to a disc that I'd be tempted to rate at Speed 14. So yeah, if you really lay into a Katana with a big arm, you'll probably get it to do what a Sidewinder does for average folks. But for average folks the Katana will likely be more of a straight disc. I don't know if that's what others think, but that's what I've seen so far.

In my experience the Sidewinder is much easier to flip, but here we're comparing a Speed 9 disc to a disc that I'd be tempted to rate at Speed 14. So yeah, if you really lay into a Katana with a big arm, you'll probably get it to do what a Sidewinder does for average folks. But for average folks the Katana will likely be more of a straight disc. I don't know if that's what others think, but that's what I've seen so far.

Speed 9 vs 13...
How many guys will tell you they prefer the TeeBird or Eagle instead of the Boss?

Speed 9 vs 13...
How many guys will tell you they prefer the TeeBird or Eagle instead of the Boss?

I know I would. I throw 325' max (yes have had rare 350' throws) and would not touch a Boss right now. Tried a Katana and traded it. I just dont have the arm speed for it right now.

Boss is way out of my league. It really depends on whether or not you can throw/snap hard enough to get to fly.

Don't underrate the Teebird. It's a straight flyer with alot of glide.

Sidewinder is definately understable, has it's place for hyzer flips, tailwind drives, and bigger turnover shots. The SL is a bit faster with only a slight turn. Katana...I have no idea, but I would imagine it takes a big arm to get it to fly right.

I've only seen someone throw a Katana (similar arm speed to mine) and I want one. flies straight before the turn, then has a reliable fade at the end. flies far too!

i am going to try and asnwer my own question...

(now that the football game is over...=-)

Sidewinder: This is a great disc for those with smaller arms. It seems to me that for the noobs, its an instant distance disc. It doesnt take too much lateral space and lands basically straight ahead.

SL: (for me) My i'm trying hard to master this disc as it represents a huge upgrade in distance. BUT, its tricky and seems to require a very good technique oriented throw. When i throw it correctly, it is my longest traveling disc AND it flies a lot faster than its rated. I will say, it does take a bit more lateral space and it has a tendency to be flippy, or to turn over and come back super late. <- The Sidewinder is a skill level 1 disc, the SL is a skill level 3....

Katana: The best description i've read is that this is a super strength beast. If this is true, it requires a lot of lateral movement to get most distance. For me and my local courses, this is a disc i can only use on 2-3 holes IF there is no wild headwind or pesky crosswind.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Analysis -
If i were making a recommendation to someone else, i'd say master the Sidewinder. It wont go as far, but its one of the most consistent discs. Both the SL and Sidewinder are greatly affected by headwinds, i would assume the katana is the same. Unless you play a course with a lot of open space for either the SL or Katana to travel (left to right) before it fades back, the sidewinder may be better. I would also strongly suggest that those without big arms to consider the difference between distance and consistency. Innova has a bad habit of releasing something new that makes something else seemingly obsolete except that the new disc requires a HUGE arm, TONS of snap, a highly specialized technique, or a big open space.

Never liked the sidewinder but I swear by SL's. I just bought a Star Katana and am wondering how it compares to the champion and pro. More stable yes but, how long to break in till it flies like a super charged beast?

I would say the SL is completely different than the other two.

I don't know what kind of SL you're throwing, but the only I can see it having anywhere near as much turn as the other two (when thrown at "proper" speed) is if it was a Pro Starfire that was absolutely beat to piss.

SL and Sidewinder are the same speed too, aren't they?

I vote for Star Sidewinder, i love them things!!! The champion one however....lets just say.... don't waste your money!

Never liked the sidewinder but I swear by SL's. I just bought a Star Katana and am wondering how it compares to the champion and pro. More stable yes but, how long to break in till it flies like a super charged beast?

The Star Katana is supposed to be more stable than the Champion version? That's surprising. In my experience Champion plastic reduces 1 point of turnover and adds 1 point of fade. But that could just be my luck.

I haven't thrown a sidewinder or a katana, but I LOVE my 172 Star SL. For the most part, I feel like I can put this exactly where I want to.

Yea I normally drive "sidearmed" with

150 Champion Sidewinder
167 Star Sidewinder
167 Champion Sidewinder

I personally think the Star flys better than the 167 champion. The star even has mouse chew marks and chunks missing around 90 percent of the disc lol.... Haven't thrown my 175 Star Katana yet.

Once you try your star katana please let me know what you think.

Anyone try the r-Pro katana? Mine came in the mail last week but I'm not able to throw it yet. (Note to self don't by new disc in white with snow on the ground:doh:) Gotta say that the Japan Open stamp is SICK!

After having bought a Katana and played with it.... (I tested all 3 today to determine what each would do and if there is any overlap.)

Katana vs. SL vs. Sidewinder

170 STAR Katana- In 1 word "STRAIGHT", but "loose" and fast in the process.
This is an "instant straight distance" disc. Simply put, it flies exactly as you'd expect. Mine flew very similar to a worn in wraith but replace the final hard hook with a straight flight. Once it finally runs out of speed it has a slight fade as it drops.... I'd rate it: 13, 5, -1, 1... The fade was similar to a sidewinder as it loses power (not like an SL who has a hard fade). I didnt get the same lateral movement that i had come to expect from SL's and sidewinders. In fact, i NEVER could make it turn over to a severe degree. And i am 100% confident that it will ALWAYS comeback.
-Analysis: I think this will be a game changer for most noobies and innova. It's an instant distance, easy throwing disc. The turn over is very subtle and the hook is almost non-existent. It throws and lands straight and a lot farther than any other disc a NOOBIE can throw. For the experienced, it has its purpose as it truly is a FINESSE disc... When you have a location in a straight line ahead of you and some lateral room to move, its a straight shooter. Will it replace the Tbird? i'll be interested to see.... Pro's might use it for the straight distance ability in the super max ranges, but ignore it in most shorter ranges as they have many other discs that do the same with a higher degree of accuracy. I dont know much about rollers, but most OS discs make great rollers, there is a potential for a supermax roller. (???)
Noobs: Buy it, it will immediately make a difference if you have enough of an arm to throw it. (if you dont throw 170 already, dont get it!)
Experienced: Do you need a tailwind disc that's a little bit looser than a Tbird/TL/Eagle, wind succeptable, and not absolute precision based? It's a finesse disc, meaning = @ 500' getting "close" is good, but its not absolutely precision oriented (ie. "loose").

Star SL -
The katana gave me a new appreciation for this disc and gave me a good understanding of the difference between it and the sidewinder. The SL's increased speed (i rate mine higher than the 10 rating) give it a very predictable almost "straight line" aspect in all portions of its flight. It will fly straight for 1/3 of its flight then make a direct line as it turns over and holds it until its time for its hard (rating 2) fade. Think of it like a football Wide Receiver running 100 feet, then cutting diagonally toward the corner of the field for another 200 feet, and then suddenly it stops and hook turns back. You can control the degree of the fade and straighten it out, but overall that is what it does. It flies with crisp clean lines where the sidewinder has sloppy "loose" movements.
To me this is a very reliable turn over disc. It's a tad difficult to learn and master, but the results are very predictable. It's a precision disc. It does everything you know that a sidewinder does, but it's faster and it stretches it out in a more precise "hard" line. I really want to experiment with this disc as a "straight" sidearm disc.

(Champion) Sidewinder-
To me, this is a great disc for those with smaller arms. Once noobs have mastered throwing enough to get consistent flights and distances the sidewinder removes the fade that everyone is used to and gives them instant distance. It's easily controlled and thrown with accuracy. The disc is easy to master and controlling the "S" isnt too difficult. From my experience, the flight is slower, and the lines are more "sloppy". It's not a crisp flight.
Unfortunately, Innova has made this disc 100% obsolete with the katana (and/or SL & or Beast). I am not sure that i can find any purpose for this disc that makes it a "must carry" anymore. If you have the power for the katana, then you have the power for many other discs that can be controlled as easily. This would be a great disc in a starter pack.