• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Keep releasing right?

mattpusa

Par Member
Lately I can't throw it straight in front of me when I try too throw it hard? I use a 3 finger loose grip and when I run up I tighten my grip before I throw. But I've also tried not gripping it as tight still goes right.

Help!!

This is a serious answer and not a smartass response:

Have you tried aiming further left?

(There is more to this, of course.)

When you throw right, does the disc turn and burn? Are you losing straight-line distance when you throw it to the right? If you're losing distance AND throwing offline, you have serious issues. But if you're gaining distance (or just holding steady), you might consider having a run-up that crosses the pad from right to left, which will make you have a tendency to throw it to the left more.

You also might be rounding either in your whole throw, or just at the end.

You're pulling your torso through before your hips. Slow down and focus on bringing your hips through and letting them rotate your shoulders.

This is a serious answer and not a smartass response:

Have you tried aiming further left?

(There is more to this, of course.)

When you throw right, does the disc turn and burn? Are you losing straight-line distance when you throw it to the right? If you're losing distance AND throwing offline, you have serious issues. But if you're gaining distance (or just holding steady), you might consider having a run-up that crosses the pad from right to left, which will make you have a tendency to throw it to the left more.

You also might be rounding either in your whole throw, or just at the end.

What I always tell new players that are doing this is that you are accidentally doing it correctly. What you need to do is figure out how to throw this way on purpose. One way is to aim more to the left.

So my advice isn't to try and stop doing what you're doing but go with it and learn how to do it on command.

I think the key to what you said is that you try to throw it too hard. Overdoing things usually leads to poor drives. Just slow things down and concentrate more on a smooth release.

What I always tell new players that are doing this is that you are accidentally doing it correctly. What you need to do is figure out how to throw this way on purpose. One way is to aim more to the left.

So my advice isn't to try and stop doing what you're doing but go with it and learn how to do it on command.

I think the key to what you said is that you try to throw it too hard. Overdoing things usually leads to poor drives. Just slow things down and concentrate more on a smooth release.

These two pieces of advice seem to contradict each other but imo they don't.

What are you trying to do? If it's accuracy BigSky is right, if you are trying for distance my advice is correct.

Slow it down for sure. Make sure your footing and shoulders are lined up properly. I've recently discovered many problems such as that can be fixed with footing. I've slowed down my run up and just focused on throwing as clean as possible... I'm now getting more distance and better accuracy with less effort than before.

I have recently been working thru this myself. My main issue was timing. As i developed my drive and a much harder/faster snap I had to learn to adjust my timing or I would release late. Still a work in progress.....

When it goes left it goes right it goes far like I threw a straight laser beam just throwing it right. Accuracy is key do to the main course I play is wooded

I have recently been working thru this myself. My main issue was timing. As i developed my drive and a much harder/faster snap I had to learn to adjust my timing or I would release late. Still a work in progress.....

This also now that I have that snap I need to correct timing, work on footwork, slow it down

Slow it down for sure. Make sure your footing and shoulders are lined up properly. I've recently discovered many problems such as that can be fixed with footing. I've slowed down my run up and just focused on throwing as clean as possible... I'm now getting more distance and better accuracy with less effort than before.

Same exact thing here. I discovered I started pulling through the throw before my plant foot was down, causing my plant foot to land right. My throw would just follow the exact line my plant foot was pointing. So I slowed down the run up and made sure I didn't start pulling through too early.

This also now that I have that snap I need to correct timing, work on footwork, slow it down

Go buy a Superhero or DX Sonic and play catch with someone.

Playing with a catch disc will improve your golf game.

You will be able to focus on release timing and form.

I will have the same issue after I start getting fatigued a bit. I don't know if this is the same for you, but I for some reason release but don't drop my fingers out of the way fast enough so the bottom lip will slide over my ring & middle finger causing the edge to drop right and burn the angle to the right off of my drive.

What do you mean?

The main thing is the hips, but also looks a little tight with the arm before the hit and in the backswing. Looseness adds speed. You don't have to lean to lead with the hips. When you lean away from the target you limit your hip turn. It might feel very weird to you keeping more upright or actually trying to lean toward the target in the backswing. You just want the hips to lead the shoulder slightly enough in sequence but still so that they can work together more powerfully. The finish position will help tune your hips into the throw. You should finish balanced/stacked on the front foot and not have your hips pull you around like they do now.

Very good example of balanced throw from a guy who throws over 650'.

Check this you may be releasing or moving your arm too soon.

I will have the same issue after I start getting fatigued a bit. I don't know if this is the same for you, but I for some reason release but don't drop my fingers out of the way fast enough so the bottom lip will slide over my ring & middle finger causing the edge to drop right and burn the angle to the right off of my drive.

Then you're pinching the disc too hard between your thumb and fingers.
You want those two fingers below the rim to be fully extended, don't curl them in towards the rim. Placement of the thumb should be touching or in close proximity to the inner edge of the rim. Firm with the grip but your not snapping quarters here so relax. The last thing the disc should touch is your middle finger as it leaves your hand.

The symptom could be caused by a variety of problems. I don't think the forum has enough information from you to know which piece of your puzzle is out of place. Either find a local teacher who can help, or failing that, video yourself throwing so the folks online here can see the whole picture.

Latest posts