• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Latitude] LAT64 disillusionment

optidiscic

* Ace Member *
Diamond level trusted reviewer
So they make some great discs but I've noticed many players who initially were gaga over these discs have taken them out of their bags.

I am not bashing LAT64 but it seems they have come back down to earth a bit.

I blame it on their better discs being too clear and easy to lose (opto) and their GL discs colors being too dull and easy to lose (autumn colors)

I also have found that great swedish glide to be maddeningly difficult to judge

I've taken the fuse, core, striker, Halo, vision, riot all for a ride and given up on them

I do think their putters are underrated and see them in a bunch of good players bags

Thoughts?

Be glad you didn't say anything about the Rivers... We would of had words...

Be glad you didn't say anything about the Rivers... We would of had words...

I'm not bashing the company Ive just noticed many have tried them and reverted back to discraft or Innova etc.

I think they make decent discs and have grabbed a niche of the market with a loyal following but are not gonna take over

rivers were too inconsistent for me. they would either turn or fade significantly hard at the moments I didnt want them to. also I couldnt ever find any that flew the same.

thats the only lat plastic I have tried and it turned me off to it.

I beg to differ. The lat64 discs are finally starting to filter down to the players who don't read DG magazines or websites. Word of mouth is spreading. People are getting them in players packs. And the interest and demand is rising. The "new car smell" may be wearing off and other new companies and molds have become the in-fad.

rivers were too inconsistent for me. they would either turn or fade significantly hard at the moments I didnt want them to. also I couldnt ever find any that flew the same.

thats the only lat plastic I have tried and it turned me off to it.

my fuse would anny glide toooooo far or remain tooooo straight.....definetely had an amzing flight path but I was too often amazed how far past the basket it would go

Fuse and Pain have a stranglehold in my bag. I like my Opto River but it didn't really give me anything my Leopard didn't. My U\S driver spot is still in the air though, maybe I'll try the River again. I like Halos but they're too fast/wide for me.

I also tend to see more Lat64 these days.
I'd guess that the people who filled up their bag with Lat64 have reverted back to some other molds, but I see more Lat64 complaints here than on any course. The majority of people who pick up their discs love em.

I could easily throw most other brands, but the plastic does great around here for durability, visibility, and even grip - at least for me.

this has more to do with the people throwing them than the company

and this happens with whatever flavor of the month is hot

I still throw the havoc, the flow in both opto and gl, the river in both opto and gl, the pain, core, and fuse. I also use the pure for putting. I lost my striker. Need to replace it. Guess I'm not disillusioned yet.

so the only thing holding latitude back, to you, is their color scheme?

really i think the issue is that they're relatively new still, and they're trying to make equivalent discs. while that will get them exposure and have people interested and talking about them. they won't break out really until they start innovating, new disc technology in some way. until then, people will still be on the fence about their discs because they still have their old reliable leopard, comet, wraith or destroyer, or whatever disc you're replacing with a lat disc.

that being said, new players might be more inclined to be hugely loyal to lat if that's what they start out with, just as i assume you did with innova or discraft, as they branch out they might see the other brands as equivalents and then return back to lat.

i will admit the flow was taken out of my bag which replaced my wraith but was replaced for good reason. Got an augusta wraith to replace it. I still have my flow hanging up on wall just in case. Its hte only lat i own but really want to own a few of their putters and the core.

I also mentioned that the glide can make the discs very unpredictable...but you somehow ignored that part of my post

I could have also included the high price tag

I think autumn colored discs that hide in the woods well and clear plastic opto that hides everywhere are actually a huge deal...mock me if you will.....keep searching for your disc as I play through with my gaudy colored discs.

I don't think the technology is bad...I'm just remarking on what I've noticed

I have to say their Optos are getting a lot more visible than they used to. Their using better colorants or something b/c they're much easier to see than that old chameleon plastic they used to have. I can't stand that stuff, just begging to be lost.

Glide doesn't make them unpredictable, that's on you. If you're overshooting a hole all the time, disc down and get more control with the right distance, win win.

Price tag, meh. GL is the prettiest plastic in the world and Opto is better than Champ or Z IMO. Tough, rarely slick, takes dye really well, and beats in very consistently.

Last edited:
I can see what your saying but i love Lat 64 just the feel of them and I consistly throw them better. I also can see where its cheaper to replace a DX Teebird than it is a River but I can throw my River more consistenly that I did throwing Teebird's. My Fuse replaced my Comet and don't plan on going back, more glide and it doesn't need much to get her on that sweet spot.

How many people constituted the basis of the observation and conclusion for the op?

Because I'm seeing plenty of both...some revert, some don't.

I also mentioned that the glide can make the discs very unpredictable...but you somehow ignored that part of my post

I could have also included the high price tag

I think autumn colored discs that hide in the woods well and clear plastic opto that hides everywhere are actually a huge deal...mock me if you will.....keep searching for your disc as I play through with my gaudy colored discs.

I don't think the technology is bad...I'm just remarking on what I've noticed

it wasn't a serious part of my post.. :|

the high price tag is a price to pay for better plastic.. but really it's only a few more dollars over champ/z or star/ESP

the glide issue is something that can be overcome as you learn the disc with time, but if it's an issue then it's a serious issue. but to me it's just something that the player adapts to if they want to throw the disc. you have to learn how to throw them.

color isn't an issue so it's really a moot point to me, but i do get the it is an issue for some, but really an aesthetic one.

I think Lat64 is still pretty under rated. Most of the new companies (and one well established) produce discs that look like someone's toothless uncle whittled them.

Wow

my fuse would anny glide toooooo far or remain tooooo straight.....definetely had an amzing flight path but I was too often amazed how far past the basket it would go

Too much glide?? You either have a monster arm, or no touch. That Fuse glide is not only magical, but really useful.

Latest posts