• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Latitude] Latitude 64 Gold Line XXX: A Quickie

Speedly

Birdie Member
So I got Lat64's xXx in Gold Line plastic yesterday. I took it out to the field and put it up against my flat 12x Champion Firebird.

nwlwqs.jpg

Top view. The xXx is actually about half a centimeter wider than the Firebird.

2z7r812.jpg

Bottom view. The wings are basically the same size here.

illpp1.jpg

PLH view. The xXx's PLH is just a hair's breadth higher than the Firebird's.

1zoc1g7.jpg

Here you can see the comparison on dome sizes. The Firebird is considerably flatter than the xXx, but it doesn't feel like it in the hand.

The dome is the first really major thing I wanted to point out. You wouldn't think an overstable driver would have a fat dome on it, but here it is.

My initial impressions of the xXx: It does not really feel like it should be an overstable driver. But when you throw it, sure enough, it gets turning.

The dome on it, I think, is very important - it flies with a *great deal* more glide than the Firebird does. I got 50 more feet on both backhand and forehand throws with the xXx than the Firebird, and it seemed to try to fight to maintain height the entire time.

To say the xXx is more overstable isn't quite right, in my opinion. It will get more horizontal direction than the Firebird, in my experience today. I think it's better described as fading more slowly, but almost the entirety of the flight was that slow fade. Someone else on this board (sorry, don't remember who atm) told me that the xXx flies more in a C shape than an L shape. I found this to be roughly correct, but I found that it flies more like the shape of a paren ( than a full blown C. As stated before, it starts turning immediately, but the turn is definitely more gradual.

In all, I think I can say with some certainty that the xXx is a disc with more distance potential than a Firebird, as it sits in my bag. I cannot yet say how it will react to levels of beat-ness, and maybe someone else can comment as to that.

As a last little tidbit, here's a purdy pic of it.

bdjte9.jpg

Oooh! Aaaah. I swear I'm not gay.

Last edited:
yeah don't forget to try the thumber with these discs.

I got a comment or two:

PLH between different molds is nearly meaningless: really

And using the term 'turn' when it looks like you mean the opposite (fade) is confusing.

Not bagging on ya or being negative...just think it'd be alot clearer without those things

Last edited:
And for the record: I dunno if anything is as overstable as those flat top FB's....those things are brutal.

PLH between different molds is nearly meaningless: really

That was my first thought, too....nice to see them profiled side by side, though.

Question for the XXX in strong (20mph+) headwind drives compared to the FB. Does the XXX tend to sky up a bit with that extra glide, or does the dome keep it down? I do a pretty good job with nose angle, but I've noticed that with some high glide discs (Lat in particular, but a couple others as well) that they tend to rise into a stiff headwind. FBs have never done that for me, nor have some of Innova's other high speed overstable discs. I'm buying and keeping more Lat in the bag these days and have really been thinking about the XXX.

If you want true beef, try to find one of the flat snow flake optos. I had one and it was crazy OS. It was great utility and for spike hyzers

Flat optos make 11x FBs look like sidewinders. Those things are very very very very very very over stable.

That was my first thought, too....nice to see them profiled side by side, though.

Question for the XXX in strong (20mph+) headwind drives compared to the FB. Does the XXX tend to sky up a bit with that extra glide, or does the dome keep it down?

The XXX loves headwinds, It loves being flicked into headwinds and still fading, It loves holding a Hyzer in 30 mph headwinds both forehand and backhand. It also holds a straight line and doesn't really sky. Also on calm days these things effing bomb for thumbers with some sweet late action.

Latest posts