• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Laurelwood DGC in Eugene, OR

adiscted

I've only been playing for a few months, but I'm into finding and at least attempting to play every course near me. I've heard about and researched the Laurelwood "guerilla" course up by the Laurelwood ball golf course. Many sites that mention it reccomend taking a local to help guide you through the course. Anyone played here? Anyone wanna help my buddy and I figure the renegade course out? :)

I have not played in the Eugene area yet, and got curious when you mentioned a guerrilla course near a ball golf course. I googled it, and right now, the best I found was an email address for a Td who runs a winter league in your area.

http://eugenediscgolf.com/willamette-valley-winter-series1/

If you think it might help, I know of a different person who lived in that area while playing for U of O, I could see if I can get a hold of him and see if he is still in the Eugene area.

Hope you are able to figure it out.

really?

So, if the collars are still there, it can still be played,right? I just heard about it about a month ago from somebody at westy. I found and downloaded the map, so I might just have to go see if I can figure it out. If it's been "gone for a while" though, I have to ask, what did I miss?

The short version of the history is that the original operators of Laurelwood didn't like disc golf, and rapidly pulled the course not long after installation. Local disc golfers have been drooling over the possibility of bringing disc golf back to Laurelwood for years and years now.. and operating Laurelwood as a (ball) golf course is currently costing the City ~$140,000 per year.. so there may be some (eventual) potential there. Just not anything soon. :p

Killer, thanx for the info all! Yeah, I was reading a few articles on the history of laurelwood, and they mentioned the financial issues and possible actions. I guess it was an old article though cause I asked a ball golfer about it, and he said the "bad" owner was replaced in january. I don't know the current situation much at all. If anything, I'll go enjoy a hike I suppose, lol

Killer, thanx for the info all! Yeah, I was reading a few articles on the history of laurelwood, and they mentioned the financial issues and possible actions. I guess it was an old article though cause I asked a ball golfer about it, and he said the "bad" owner was replaced in january. I don't know the current situation much at all. If anything, I'll go enjoy a hike I suppose, lol

The history is a bit jumbled in this thread.

There was/is an old object course in the woods next to the Laurelwood ball golf course. If you enjoy teeing off from 'right around here' and throwing to ' you see that tree down there, next to the big one with the weird trunk, well next to that one is a smaller tree that used to have some sheet metal on it - that's the pin' in an overgrown posion oak and blackberry woodland, then you might enjoy it. Been around forever, unofficial, neighbors don't care for it.

In 2008/09 the Eugene Disc Golf Club and local disc golfers started a petition to get the City to develop disc golf. The longtime contractor who had the contract to run Laurelwood ball golf course retired, the bid went out for a contractor, and the City gave 'preference' to bids willing to "give disc golf a trial". So, of course the bidders said they would try disc golf. Volunteers designed and built the disc golf course to run side by side with the ball golf course, it was very popular for 6 weeks in the middle of winter and then the new contractor pulled the plug because they never wanted it anyway and they didn't need to keep it, just give it a try.

So **** them anyway, those contractors went on to lose a ton of money, did not meet the terms of the contract and had it taken away from them but they continued to run the course for the City. Then, one of those contractors got a new partner, put in a new bid, and the City rewarded their financial mismanagement with not only a new contract but a ****ing subsidy to run the golf course at a cost of over $100k annually to the taxpayers.

So - the collars are in the ground on the ball golf course, and the 'guerilla course' is some old tin sheets on the ground in the woods.

But at least the baskets that the City bought went to the new course at Alton Baker.

Latest posts