• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Leopard3

I don't think dome alone is the defining factor between Leo's and Leo3's- there were board flat Leo's (especially pre-barry's) and pop top Leo3's.

I have thrown both, but almost never side by side. Currently I really enjoy Star Leo3's for hyzer flips, sweeping turnovers, late turning tunnel shots, and rollers. It's a really long fairway and a great complement to Teebird(s).

Dome should be the only differentiator between 3 series and not 3 series. Wing shape and rim width are the same. Of course plastic molding and cooling is not an exact science, so it wouldn't surprise me if there are some weird domey 3 seires and flat non 3 series.

Yes, you can find flat Leopards.

Leopard3's in my experience also have a very low shoulder coming off the top of the wing.

I feel like this makes them a bit more aerodynamic.

Also, from my understanding, when they purposely try to make the top flat, it can pull up the wing/nose.

That could all be wrong of course.

https://www.innovadiscs.com/disc-golf-discs/why-do-some-innova-discs-have-a-3/
They are faster and they tend to be slightly less stable, maybe sometimes a little bit more overstable, low speed
slightly more turn, more abrupt fade due to less glide

Now as far as for throwing, there it is absolutely more torque resistance. That's a big deal.
slightly faster speed rating

Flight numbers for 3 series molds were defined off of premium plastic versions vs. the originals being mostly DX. The combination of flatter profile and premium plastic each account for 0.5 speed difference so the originals (in premium blends) are under-rated by 0.5 speed. Champion Leopards don't have a lot of turn off the shelf (more like 6/5/-0.5/2 flight) and Champion Leopard3s are pretty close to the stamped flight numbers (7/5/-1.5/1).

Leopard and Leopard3 only really share the lower rim mold piece. Top and Core pieces are different to produce the flatter profile for the Leopard3. Centurion seems to share the bottom 2 pieces (lower rim + core) with the Leopard3 and may also share the top but I don't have the same plastic blends to compare. I-Blend Centurion is pretty straight flying and will work in quicker than a Star/Champion Leopard3 while also being more durable than DX/D-Blend versions of either.

Pretty sure they have the same top. I have Star Leopards that are identical to Star L3s, and I got Pro Leopards that are identical to Star L3s as well. They fly the exact same for my arm! I've only had a single champion Leo, I wasn't a fan. It had that bloated champion feel to it that made the dome seems quite big compared to good Leopards.

Pretty sure they have the same top. I have Star Leopards that are identical to Star L3s, and I got Pro Leopards that are identical to Star L3s as well. They fly the exact same for my arm! I've only had a single champion Leo, I wasn't a fan. It had that bloated champion feel to it that made the dome seems quite big compared to good Leopards.

If they are the same mold, then why would Innova go through all the rigmarole of PDGA approving, and marketing a new disc?

If they are the same mold, then why would Innova go through all the rigmarole of PDGA approving, and marketing a new disc?

Probably along the same lines of why P&G has 15 different brands of laundry detergent, each of which has multiple varieties.

Yes, you can find flat Leopards.

Leopard3's in my experience also have a very low shoulder coming off the top of the wing.

I feel like this makes them a bit more aerodynamic.

Also, from my understanding, when they purposely try to make the top flat, it can pull up the wing/nose.

That could all be wrong of course.

TBH every star Leopard I've thrown has been fairly flat. The champ ones can be quite domey, but the star are generally pretty flat (not quite MVP flat/low shoulder, but still). I haven't thrown a 3 but I find the Leo to be more straight than the numbers suggest. An underrated mold imo

Snagged a used 175g I-Blend Centurion at my local PIAS.

First time really getting personal with the I-Blend. I read recently that it's more of a reuse of Star scraps than a "Driver Pro", and that did match my feel. Felt a touch like a trash panda inner core.

The Centurion is still definitely a Leopard3 (just commonly in different plastic blends).

This I-Blend had plenty of wear. I sanded/heat-smoothed the worst. Threw it for the first time today and I'm calling that thing -3/0. It doesn't flip super fast, but it never stops flipping. I had a couple GStar Leopard3s that were perhaps as flippy, but that's about it. The rest of my leopard3s/Centurions are more -1/1 for me with a few seasoned ones getting near -2/1.

-3/0 can be a useful shape, but I'm always nervous getting used to an outlier of a mold. So it'll probably just stick around for field work until I find a good home for it.

I doubt a fresh I-Blend would be as flippy; we'll see if I eventually encounter one.

I throw Leopard3s out to the 315-335' range for comparisons of turn/fade.

A Pro Leo (or Leo3 if you can find it) is the best way to get that -3/0 flight.