• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Lid Lovers

As a bit of a lid-whore, I couldn't pass up ESP Rattler. First impression is that I found it to be quite stable when compared to my Pro D's. Also has a smidge less glide than the Pro D's. The ESP mix feels kind of slick to me, so not sure how much use it'll get until it gets warmer. However, I have three Jawbreaker Rattlers arriving today. I'm very excited to see how these fit into the mix as well. I really like to grip of the jawbreaker plastic during these winter months.

As a bit of a lid-whore, I couldn't pass up ESP Rattler. First impression is that I found it to be quite stable when compared to my Pro D's. Also has a smidge less glide than the Pro D's. The ESP mix feels kind of slick to me, so not sure how much use it'll get until it gets warmer. However, I have three Jawbreaker Rattlers arriving today. I'm very excited to see how these fit into the mix as well. I really like to grip of the jawbreaker plastic during these winter months.

I have one jawbreaker rattler. I bet you'll like it. Mind spilling the beans as to where you found them?

I threw my son's 113gram polecat around the other day. That's a fun disc. Holy floaty. Don't think I I could trust it on the course, but it's so fun to toss. I swear I can make it just hover in the air forever. Real fun!!!!

Has anyone picked up one of the new ESP Rattlers?

I posted this in the Discraft Mega not too long ago:

. . . Top left I'm happy with, but that's it. Lighting is...generous in this picture. The greens and pink look much worse in person.

8wlVua7.jpg

(F.Howl asked if I bag Rattlers):

They're always in and out of the bag, most commonly used for running the basket when outside of putting range or certain risky greens. I love short rollers and skips so anything goes for approaches - Drone to beat Cobra to my beloved Clutch.

The occasional grenade to be fancy of course

My preferred Rattlers are older and 165ish, though I do have a couple current run Ds and 3 Jawbreakers. These definitely fly a bit more overstable than all of my others, though it's not large amounts. PLH across the five ESPs I bought are all very similar. One thing I will say is they're a bit more brick like, even with the glide - what I mean is they take a little extra power to do what other plastics would. SpikeHyzer mentioned they're a bit slick, I won't disagree but it didn't stop me from throwing them this winter.

Was there anything specific you wanted to know?

Considering changing my approach lineup to one that includes a slow, neutral option. Thinking a lid would be potentially dope.

What are the usual suspects for stuff to try? I would like good plastic availability (more than just DX/D ideally), slow speed, neutral stability (more on that below), prefer beaded although I understand that may not be a thing.

The shot I am looking to cover is one that a Proxy would fade out of - touchy annys in the woods, mostly.

I have tried a 165ish g DX Polecat and was not a fan - utterly demolished by a breeze. Maybe max weight would be preferable.

As far as stability, HSS is less of an issue than the requirement for as little LSS as possible. Although I guess my problem with the Polecat was its propensity to blow off the face of the earth, so maybe something on the more stable side of lids would be in order.

Thanks you all. Stay healthy

Max weight current run polecat may be your best bet. Most lid like discs are pushed around more. Premium plastic and lids dont mix well. There have been and are some good examples (whitler comes to mind but oop and worse in the wind than a polecat. A heavier superhero would be a good choice. Or track down a star sonic. Both of those are tricky to track down.

Edit:

I guess the lids that fly right in premium plastic are the ones that were molded for that. (Hero, whitler, bite, beetle)

I have not thrown it, but I have heard great things about the plastic addics habit.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Max weight current run polecat may be your best bet. Most lid like discs are pushed around more. Premium plastic and lids dont mix well. There have been and are some good examples (whitler comes to mind but oop and worse in the wind than a polecat. A heavier superhero would be a good choice. Or track down a star sonic. Both of those are tricky to track down.

Edit:

I guess the lids that fly right in premium plastic are the ones that were molded for that. (Hero, whitler, bite, beetle)

The Sonic Does well in premium if you get the Hero 215 mold (same disc) in the lighter weights. Another that does well in premium for a lid is the Zephyr.

Another plastic the Polecat does not work in is the R-Pro due to the variation in putter R-pro is not as good as stiffer R-Pro plastics. The plastic will work but you need to look in person for the right R-Pro.

Last edited:
The Sonic Does well in premium if you get the Hero 215 mold (same disc) in the lighter weights. Another that does well in premium for a lid is the Zephyr.

Another plastic the Polecat does not work in is the R-Pro due to the variation in putter R-pro is not as good as stiffer R-Pro plastics. The plastic will work but you need to look in person for the right R-Pro.
I love my champ zephyr. But I do not love the Zephyrs for golf as much as polecats.

How did I miss the habit was a zeppelin? Now I want one more. The zep was a great disc

Considering changing my approach lineup to one that includes a slow, neutral option. Thinking a lid would be potentially dope.

What are the usual suspects for stuff to try? I would like good plastic availability (more than just DX/D ideally), slow speed, neutral stability (more on that below), prefer beaded although I understand that may not be a thing.

The shot I am looking to cover is one that a Proxy would fade out of - touchy annys in the woods, mostly.

I have tried a 165ish g DX Polecat and was not a fan - utterly demolished by a breeze. Maybe max weight would be preferable.

As far as stability, HSS is less of an issue than the requirement for as little LSS as possible. Although I guess my problem with the Polecat was its propensity to blow off the face of the earth, so maybe something on the more stable side of lids would be in order.

I didn't like polecats as much as birdies because they're too glidey. Birdies fly like gildeless bricks and are ultra neutral. I threw max weight DX until I tracked down a gummy champ version but honestly nothing flies as dead and neutral as a birdie.

I have a couple of Champion Polecats, 175g each. They're out of stock at the Proshop and at Infinite Discs, but hopefully they'll have more soon. You might try a max wt. XT Polecat to see if the weight works better than the one you tried.

And for what you want... lids of any kind might not be the answer. A beaded shallow disc that fights the wind but is not overstable and comes in all plastics is the Stud.

Last edited:

Latest posts