• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] Lone Star Discs

Really liking the Curl, for a disc that isn't super fast they go really far.

Excited to try the Warbird later this week, should be a nice slightly more stable complement.

Okay, Warbird is straight money. Nice stability, very good glide and it isn't so overstable that a lot of players couldn't use it.

It was getting easily 370-400 for me today and 330+ on a couple of spike hyzer lines. Got mine in the Bravo plastic and it's great. Like a less overstable destroyer run.

I finally got a little time with the Tumbleweed.

Wow!

I was expecting a turnover machine and it wasn't really. I haven't been out much this year yet, so my distance was only 320 or so. With a little hyzer the Tumbleweed just hit that distance like it was nothing. My Fission Wave wasn't quite hitting the same distance with more effort. The Tumbleweed also had less lateral movement than the Wave. It was crazy, crazy awesome!

Now when my form comes back in will it turn some, probably. If I somehow turn into Moose33 will it turnover, most likely ;)

The Tumbleweed I threw is a 172g Alpha with some purdy swirls. It felt super nice in my hand. Also doesn't take damage too easy. I smashed a conduit on a telephone pole at full power and couldn't tell....a new MVP Neutron I threw skipped into some rocks at the end of a throw and dinged the rim.

Picked up a Harpoon in soft Bravo today and this thing is great! It feels like a Breaker and a Harp combined– very low profile like a breaker with the lip of a harp. Kind of reminds me of the Suspect in flight which I love. It's overstable, but I got it out to about 300' with full power and it rode straight for a long time with a bit of fade at the end.

I was using the Infinite Ruin and while it was awesome for backhands for me, forehand I couldn't get it to fly without a lot of wobble. The Harpoon is a much smoother flying disc for me. My first experience with Lone Star, but I'd like to try more based on this!

Just did some more field work with the Harpoon today and this disc seriously surprised me. Powered up, it's dead straight with a hard finish. I threw it on some anyhyzer lines and it panned a long way before fighting back as it slowed down. I'm wondering if I might even cycle them to cover all of my putter shots because I LOVE the hand feel. I've been know to have a few good throws with a disc and fall in love, but this one seems promising!

Just did some more field work with the Harpoon today and this disc seriously surprised me. Powered up, it's dead straight with a hard finish. I threw it on some anyhyzer lines and it panned a long way before fighting back as it slowed down. I'm wondering if I might even cycle them to cover all of my putter shots because I LOVE the hand feel. I've been know to have a few good throws with a disc and fall in love, but this one seems promising!

It's really nice! Super reliable, but not as overstable as many other similar discs.

I'm hoping to order some Dos X soon, have had some cash flow issues after signing up for tournaments but that is the next one that looks super interesting.

I picked up a DosX in my last order, and I'm not a fan. It's labeled as 8,4,-1,2 but it's isn't even close at my power. I have a 172g Alpha and it is a turd for me. I can't even get 300 before it falls to the ground and fades hard. I throw a Kastaplast Lots considerably further, hell the last time I threw an Undertaker it went further with less effort. I do bag both the Stag and Longbowmen, both of them are easier for me to throw (and get better distance) than the DosX.

Maybe I just got a turd. Or maybe I just don't have the arm speed for this '8' speed disc.

I picked up a DosX in my last order, and I'm not a fan. It's labeled as 8,4,-1,2 but it's isn't even close at my power. I have a 172g Alpha and it is a turd for me. I can't even get 300 before it falls to the ground and fades hard. I throw a Kastaplast Lots considerably further, hell the last time I threw an Undertaker it went further with less effort. I do bag both the Stag and Longbowmen, both of them are easier for me to throw (and get better distance) than the DosX.

Maybe I just got a turd. Or maybe I just don't have the arm speed for this '8' speed disc.

It did look like the Warbird was considerably more OS than the numbers suggested-- is that a trend in their driver's? I saw a video of it and it flew more like Force numbers than Destroyer numbers

It did look like the Warbird was considerably more OS than the numbers suggested-- is that a trend in their driver's? I saw a video of it and it flew more like Force numbers than Destroyer numbers

My Bravo ones aren't that OS, it's beefy but I can throw it reasonably far.

My Bravo ones aren't that OS, it's beefy but I can throw it reasonably far.

Says the guy who can huck a Warhorse 450. For us mortals, they look very OS ;)

Related: is there a lot of stability variance in plastics with the Harpoon. Love the flight out of my bravo soft, but would love something more hss

Last edited:
Says the guy who can huck a Warhorse 450. For us mortals, they look very OS ;)

Related: is there a lot of stability variance in plastics with the Harpoon. Love the flight out of my bravo soft, but would love something more hss

That's true, but my backhand isn't crazy and I can get these near 400.

I kind of feel the same way about the Harpoon. I just wish it were a bit more stable.

War Bird

Got to try a War Bird today. Disc is 169. Not sure what the plastic is called, but it's soft/gummy stuff that looks like Innova star or pro. Disc is 169g and has a big dome. Listed numbers are 12, 6, -1, 3.

Just looking at and holding this disc I was expecting big things. I love a domey Destroyer, so what could go wrong? Well, pretty much everything, as it turns out. The War Bird is SIGNIFICACNTLY more overstable and glideless than the flight numbers indicate. Out of the hand this disc immediately reminded me of a Force or XCal. Just no real penetration, and it wanted to fade hard right away. Top distance might have been 375', but I doubt it. I simply could not make this disc cover ground, even with big anny releases.

Not only does the War Bird not glide, the fade is early and steep. This disc is probably more overstable than any star Destroyer I've ever thrown.

War Bird: 12, 4, 0, 4. Surprisingly poor results for a disc that looks so good. Despite having a big dome, this thing flies pretty horribly. No glide, no penetration, and a quick, hard fade. I wasn't a fan at all. I'd assume not every War Bird is this overstable, but man... what a chore.

Got to try a War Bird today. Disc is 169. Not sure what the plastic is called, but it's soft/gummy stuff that looks like Innova star or pro. Disc is 169g and has a big dome. Listed numbers are 12, 6, -1, 3.

Just looking at and holding this disc I was expecting big things. I love a domey Destroyer, so what could go wrong? Well, pretty much everything, as it turns out. The War Bird is SIGNIFICACNTLY more overstable and glideless than the flight numbers indicate. Out of the hand this disc immediately reminded me of a Force or XCal. Just no real penetration, and it wanted to fade hard right away. Top distance might have been 375', but I doubt it. I simply could not make this disc cover ground, even with big anny releases.

Not only does the War Bird not glide, the fade is early and steep. This disc is probably more overstable than any star Destroyer I've ever thrown.

War Bird: 12, 4, 0, 4. Surprisingly poor results for a disc that looks so good. Despite having a big dome, this thing flies pretty horribly. No glide, no penetration, and a quick, hard fade. I wasn't a fan at all. I'd assume not every War Bird is this overstable, but man... what a chore.

That's pretty shocking, it sounds like Bravo plastic and my Bravo one is the bomber.

My wife picked some of her favorite molds up in the lima plastics and it is very gummy, like bravo with a little more tackiness to it.

If anyone at Lone Star Discs is reading this thread -

THANK YOU for supporting disc golf in the Philippines! The game has gotten so big so quickly there, JP and his friends outnumbered the discs I brought on my last trip within weeks. Lone Star and Gorilla Boy bags stepped up to make sure they have the equipment needed to keep it growing :)

https://www.facebook.com/hashtag/teamfriendsdiscgolf

Latest posts