• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] Lone Star Discs

If anyone at Lone Star Discs is reading this thread -

THANK YOU for supporting disc golf in the Philippines! The game has gotten so big so quickly there, JP and his friends outnumbered the discs I brought on my last trip within weeks. Lone Star and Gorilla Boy bags stepped up to make sure they have the equipment needed to keep it growing :)

https://www.facebook.com/hashtag/teamfriendsdiscgolf

That's very cool. I don't know if Josh from Lonestar is on here but I'll let him know.

It's the plastic they use to get the molds in lighter weights. Supposed to feel like Alpha, more or less.

I guess if I had actually done more than glanced at the listing I would have noticed the light weights. :wall: Thanks for the info!

Just ordered a Texas ranger in lima. I'm a 150 class junkie so I felt the need to support a company that went out of their way to make a lightweight plastic.

Does anybody have any experience with Texas rangers lima plastic or otherwise?

Just ordered a Texas ranger in lima. I'm a 150 class junkie so I felt the need to support a company that went out of their way to make a lightweight plastic.

Does anybody have any experience with Texas rangers lima plastic or otherwise?

I throw a 175 Alhpa. It's really nice, at full power it gets a little bit of turn and a very late soft fade. Flies like people have always described a buzzz flight, but I couldn't get it to do.

I've not thrown a Lima, but I do have a Lima Warbird on the way.

I throw a 175 Alhpa. It's really nice, at full power it gets a little bit of turn and a very late soft fade. Flies like people have always described a buzzz flight, but I couldn't get it to do.

That's what I was hoping to hear. Thanks!

Why? Trying to get a disc into orbit?

I got some throws in with my lima 159 Texas ranger. When I first started playing 10 years ago I had a esp flx buzzz that I absolutely loved. This disc reminds me of that. Bendy but not floppy with the ranger being gripper than I remember my buzzz being. The ranger is super grippy and a little gritty. Love the grip. Flight wise I was expecting it to be a little more understable than Moose 33 reported because of the light weight, but it flies exactly as he described. Throw it flat and it turns a little bit with a soft fade. I'd say if you are looking for a buzzz under 175 this is a great option.

Got a Dos X tonight, I am hoping it flies really well because the possibilities for jokes will be fantastic if it is.

I've played a couple rounds with my lima texas ranger. It's taken some damage already. I drilled a couple trees and the rim is getting warped and a chunk is missing. It's lost a little stability, but not a huge amount. Im still really liking it. I have another lima going to put in the bag and
thinking about picking up one in alpha or bravo in the 160's. Anybody else have any experience with lima? I was also wondering if bravo acts the same way or if it's more durable.

Attachments

• 20220911_132317.jpg
    20220911_132317.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 22
  • 20220911_132310.jpg
    20220911_132310.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 20
I've played a couple rounds with my lima texas ranger. It's taken some damage already. I drilled a couple trees and the rim is getting warped and a chunk is missing. It's lost a little stability, but not a huge amount. Im still really liking it. I have another lima going to put in the bag and
thinking about picking up one in alpha or bravo in the 160's. Anybody else have any experience with lima? I was also wondering if bravo acts the same way or if it's more durable.

I've got an Alpha in the bag and it's played many rounds with no signs of wear nearly at all, and seeing the Lima in that shape in a shorter period os kind of shocking to me. I haven't thrown my Lima Warbird a ton, but it still looks pristine.

I've got an Alpha in the bag and it's played many rounds with no signs of wear nearly at all, and seeing the Lima in that shape in a shorter period os kind of shocking to me. I haven't thrown my Lima Warbird a ton, but it still looks pristine.

Hopefully it was just bad luck, or maybe I'm better at hitting trees than you.

Since I like to try different things, I ordered a Warbird in the lima plastic. Haven't tried it yet but thought I would share my thoughts on the plastic.

I don't bag too much light weight stuff these days but I have thrown quite a bit of the trilogy air plastic and some blizzard champ stuff. This lima plastic is definitely different. Sort of has a g-star feel to it but the flight plate is paper thin and really flimsy. The thinness of the flight plate almost makes the disc feel like a cheap toy type disc for lack in a better description. Kind of feels weird in the hand as the flight plate is so soft and thin and flexible that it buckles under my thumb with almost zero pressure.

I don't think the weird flimsy flight plate is going to be a deal breaker but it definitely feels different than any other disc I've ever thrown.

Hoping to get some throws in with it soon to see if the flight makes up for the weird feel of the plastic. If it flies decent I might step up in weight and try one that feels like a normal disc.

Played a quick round after work and threw the Warbird (Lima plastic, 158g) three times.

Each throw came out way low for reasons I can't explain. I was throwing everything else fine so not sure why the Warbird kept coming out low.

The glide seems good as my third shot was about four feet off the ground and went roughly 330'. The disc comes out of the hand fast and gets down the fairway in a hurry. Going to spend a little more time with it and see if I can get it up in the air for a full flight but I feel like it could end up being a real bomber for me. May seek out a couple in the 168-172 weight range to play with and also try it in other plastics.

Earlier I kind of compared the plastic to g-star and as far as the firmness or flexibility I'd say that is still pretty accurate but the grip on the Lima plastic is borderline too grippy. Kind of has a rubbery feel to it.

Hopefully it was just bad luck, or maybe I'm better at hitting trees than you.

Whoo boy, I smacked some trees tonight with it at high speed and the wing on the Lima is totally wavy lol. The Bravo and Alpha are super durable, but the Lima lost some serious stability tonight. Bravo I think is still my favorite.

How's the feel of the Bravo compared to the Lima? Does the Bravo have that same rubbery, overly grippy feel?

Whoo boy, I smacked some trees tonight with it at high speed and the wing on the Lima is totally wavy lol. The Bravo and Alpha are super durable, but the Lima lost some serious stability tonight. Bravo I think is still my favorite.

Dang. I was hoping I got a dud. Hopefully theyll change the plastic blend to make it more durable in the future.

The good news is that I'll have a couple beat in rangers soon. It sucks having to wait forever to have a beat in version of a disc. I've been looking and I can't find any alpha or bravo rangers in the 160's which is my preferred weight for mids and putters. On their website they list weights in the 160's as an option. Hopefully they'll do a new run soon.

I had a chance to throw my warpy lima ranger next to a new lima ranger before work today and surprisingly the warpy one hasn't lost any stability. Still wouldn't mind a 160's alpha or bravo though.

Dang. I was hoping I got a dud. Hopefully theyll change the plastic blend to make it more durable in the future.

The good news is that I'll have a couple beat in rangers soon. It sucks having to wait forever to have a beat in version of a disc. I've been looking and I can't find any alpha or bravo rangers in the 160's which is my preferred weight for mids and putters. On their website they list weights in the 160's as an option. Hopefully they'll do a new run soon.

The one good thing about it is that I've been using the Bravo for max D backhands, but it was a little more OS than I can handle to get 100% distance. This wavy Lima i can't throw forehand anymore, but backhand it's pretty good for now. Just need to throw it under a book so it gets less warped.

Latest posts