• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] Lone Star Discs

A lot of their discs you can tell do not draw from others, the Dillo, Mockingbird, Bowie and Bull Snake all fell very unique.

Now the Warbird, Madcat and Texas Ranger do seem eerily similar to the Destroyer, PD and Buzzz but all of those discs have many copies in the market.

A lot of their discs you can tell do not draw from others, the Dillo, Mockingbird, Bowie and Bull Snake all fell very unique.

Now the Warbird, Madcat and Texas Ranger do seem eerily similar to the Destroyer, PD and Buzzz but all of those discs have many copies in the market.

I agree, but we're at the point in disc technology that tweaking a single millimeter here or there to create a "unique" mold just copies another existing mold. There is very little wiggle room for creativity without being compared to something that has already been done. Especially when trying to field an entire line up. You have to do something wild and see if the market likes it. (Like the Missilen from Lat 64, Bohrium from Loft, Groove from Innova, etc) Sometimes they are well received, sometimes they are OOP almost faster than it took to design them. Funny story about the Bull Snake, it was an accident. The mold top was mated with the wrong mold bottom (giving it its signature super deep rim). They tested it, liked it, and sent it off for approval and added it to production.

I'm not sure how similar you are with the Warbird, Madcat, and the Texas Ranger so I won't speculate. Flight numbers aside because they are made up, to me though I'd compare the feel and flight of a Warbird more to a DD Enforcer. The Madcat is somewhere in between a Thunderbird/PD and a Raptor and flies exactly like my beat in 2019 Sexton Firebirds. The Texas Ranger doesn't feel like a Buzzz to me (I had a love hate relationship with the Buzzz because I loved the feel and hated the flight) and it's the opposite with the Texas Ranger, hate the feel, love the flight. It honestly feels like a well seasoned Roc with the bead almost worn off. (Never a Roc fan because I hate beaded anything. lol) The point being, there is going to be a ton of overlap with other companies because there is so little design space. Not saying you feel this way, but some do, just because "Innova did something first" doesn't mean every thing that comes after it is a copy. Most are improvements. Lone Star has some bad molds imo that some people love, but they also have some bangers.

I'm not going to hate on any company for doing something similar to what's in the market, when you have so many discs in the market you will have many that are close. We only have so many technical pieces we can change and still have a good feeing legal disc.

I was on the initial Lonestar team in 2022, and didn't depart with any ill will. Just had a more appealing situation from my current sponsor. I bagged all of the disc I mentioned most of the season and the three Warbirds I had felt and flew a ton like an Avery era Destroyer which isn't that different than the Enforcer.

I think our assessment of the Mad Cat is very similar.

I actually loved the Texas Ranger feel. I'm not a buzzz guy and that slightly blunter edge was nice to me.

I bagged the Middy too and while it's similar to many discs in the market, there isn't one that it feels identical too. Like a beadless Bard….sort of.

Though I started with Innova because that is what was available in my area, I just started throwing what I got in player's packs and didn't care much for "who" made the disc, just if it flew well or not. Over the years I gravitated towards Trilogy because I liked the plastic and had become familiar with their flight numbering system. So most of my Lone Star comparisons will be towards Trilogy plastic as that's what I'm not familiar with outside of the multiple tried and didn't make the bag discs from other manufacturers.

I'm glad you mentioned the Middy. I was a huge Verdict thrower. It filled that gap between my straight mid and the Justice, and felt pretty good in the hand. I wanted so bad for the Middy to fill that slot, and while it does to an extent flight wise, it doesn't feel anything like it. I actually prefer the shape and feel of the Middy to the Verdict but get the same flight so I couldn't ask for more.

Our assessments just go to show that two people who are familiar with the molds can arrive at a close, yet not same conclusion and comparison. (For instance I hate the Nuke not because it is a bad disc but because I have baby hands and the rim is uncomfortable, and yet the Tombstone I can somehow throw, when absolutely necessary, and it doesn't feel bad in the hand) But for someone else they may find the exact opposite. Love that about disc golf, so many variables that determine the "quality" of a disc in someone's opinion.

The BB6 and the Dome are fairly unique as well. Even the ones that are basically clones of other popular discs, the plastic makes them slightly more interesting than. Like a Madcat in Bravo is a gummy PD for example.

So Lone Star has been ripped to shreds on Reddit.

What say you?

So Lone Star has been ripped to shreds on Reddit.

What say you?
There are two sides to every story. As a team member who watched everything occur in real time, it's much to do about nothing. The internet does what it does and ran with it.

The Ranger Team (the lowest "sponsored" tier) was set to get their discount code for their 3rd Quarter Allotment. Sheldon (the Ranger Team Manager) sent out an e-mail with a discount code and mistakenly stated that the code was both worth $33 and could be used on Tour Series and Event Fundraiser discs (along with the other normal things it can be used on). For context Sheldon was at Masters Worlds in Flagstaff juggling a lot of things and sent this mass e-mail before double checking and verifying things. Traditionally, Ranger Team members have not been able to use their allotment on Tour Series discs (as that money directly goes to Tour Players and Event Fundraiser discs as that money goes directly to that Event). Team members know this and it's never been an issue before. Sheldon quickly realized his mistake and walked back e-mail and corrected it, and sent out a retraction e-mail with the correct information and apologized for the mix up. Within that time, some 200 Ranger Team members ordered an Event Fundraiser disc (Charlie Mad Cat) which was both above the normal allotment price, and unavailable normally to be used for allotment discount. LSD honored those 200 plus orders, accepted responsibility for their mistake, and informed everyone. Some team members were extremely salty that they didn't get to also get one of the Event Fundraiser Discs after things were corrected while people who acted quickly were. Those salty team members took to the facebook team page and tore the company to shreds, being extremely entitled, and were boat raced for it. Making them even more salty. So they took to reddit and leaked screenshots and did more complaining, like children do.

The Ranger Team is very much like say the Prodigy Street Team, Discraft Underground, or the Dynamic Discs Squad. You aren't "really" a sponsored player, but you get a few perks for repping the brand. 4 free discs, a free team shirt, a team patch, a one time 50% off your total order allotment code, and a every order 20% off code, plus early access to all new releases. For sure a VERY entry level "sponsorship". Ironically, the first quarter disc was a Founders Plastic Team Stamped Lariat sent to each player on the team. Cool, great, right? Ranger Team members complained that they didn't get to choose their disc, so the company shifted and allowed players to start selecting their "quarter allotment" disc. Now those players complain that they can't get special run discs with their allotment (which has always been known and is common knowledge). It's quite hilarious honestly. Based on the number of Ranger Team members and the amount of "free" stuff they are handing out each quarter, it's around $40'000-$50'000. And the "mistake" Sheldon made would have doubled that amount.

It's kind of sad and hilarious to watch the 750 rated Ams crying on social media that their "sponsor" screwed them over by not giving them everything they want (but were never promised). I haven't personally had a bad experience with Lone Star. My actual only complaint with them is the shipping cost for the shipper they use when you order from them directly. I've met, hung out with, and went out to dinner with Sheldon while at Masters Worlds and he is a genuine loveable guy. He made a mistake, owned it, the company honored it, and then got dragged for it. People are weird man.

I was wondering to any in the know, why are Jackrabbits only available in V1 & V2? I'd be interested in trying it out on other plastics to see if it could replace some of my throwing putters.

I was wondering to any in the know, why are Jackrabbits only available in V1 & V2? I'd be interested in trying it out on other plastics to see if it could replace some of my throwing putters.
I feel your pain! From my understanding, the molds used for most of the putter runs were unsuccessful in producing quality premium plastic runs, they continually came out overweight. So they have to make new molding plates and go through the PDGA approval process again. They've done that with a few molds so far, the Copperhead, the Penny, and the Benny that I know of. I'm told it's coming, but it isn't a quick process apparently. Lots of people are begging for the Jackrabbit in premium plastic, so you aren't alone. In the meantime, the Dynamic Discs Judge is very similar to the Jackrabbit and you could probably find a plastic you agree with. I used to throw Judges before Lone Star came along.

I feel your pain! From my understanding, the molds used for most of the putter runs were unsuccessful in producing quality premium plastic runs, they continually came out overweight. So they have to make new molding plates and go through the PDGA approval process again. They've done that with a few molds so far, the Copperhead, the Penny, and the Benny that I know of. I'm told it's coming, but it isn't a quick process apparently. Lots of people are begging for the Jackrabbit in premium plastic, so you aren't alone. In the meantime, the Dynamic Discs Judge is very similar to the Jackrabbit and you could probably find a plastic you agree with. I used to throw Judges before Lone Star came along.
I have plenty of other putters that I drive with. I just thought it would be interesting to try out my primary putting putter in a more premium material. (not that V1 & V2 aren't nice!)

But at least that makes sense as to why they haven't been released yet. Maybe they could push out a run of the overweights as training putters like with the Wizard!

There are two sides to every story. As a team member who watched everything occur in real time, it's much to do about nothing. The internet does what it does and ran with it.

The Ranger Team (the lowest "sponsored" tier) was set to get their discount code for their 3rd Quarter Allotment. Sheldon (the Ranger Team Manager) sent out an e-mail with a discount code and mistakenly stated that the code was both worth $33 and could be used on Tour Series and Event Fundraiser discs (along with the other normal things it can be used on). For context Sheldon was at Masters Worlds in Flagstaff juggling a lot of things and sent this mass e-mail before double checking and verifying things. Traditionally, Ranger Team members have not been able to use their allotment on Tour Series discs (as that money directly goes to Tour Players and Event Fundraiser discs as that money goes directly to that Event). Team members know this and it's never been an issue before. Sheldon quickly realized his mistake and walked back e-mail and corrected it, and sent out a retraction e-mail with the correct information and apologized for the mix up. Within that time, some 200 Ranger Team members ordered an Event Fundraiser disc (Charlie Mad Cat) which was both above the normal allotment price, and unavailable normally to be used for allotment discount. LSD honored those 200 plus orders, accepted responsibility for their mistake, and informed everyone. Some team members were extremely salty that they didn't get to also get one of the Event Fundraiser Discs after things were corrected while people who acted quickly were. Those salty team members took to the facebook team page and tore the company to shreds, being extremely entitled, and were boat raced for it. Making them even more salty. So they took to reddit and leaked screenshots and did more complaining, like children do.

The Ranger Team is very much like say the Prodigy Street Team, Discraft Underground, or the Dynamic Discs Squad. You aren't "really" a sponsored player, but you get a few perks for repping the brand. 4 free discs, a free team shirt, a team patch, a one time 50% off your total order allotment code, and a every order 20% off code, plus early access to all new releases. For sure a VERY entry level "sponsorship". Ironically, the first quarter disc was a Founders Plastic Team Stamped Lariat sent to each player on the team. Cool, great, right? Ranger Team members complained that they didn't get to choose their disc, so the company shifted and allowed players to start selecting their "quarter allotment" disc. Now those players complain that they can't get special run discs with their allotment (which has always been known and is common knowledge). It's quite hilarious honestly. Based on the number of Ranger Team members and the amount of "free" stuff they are handing out each quarter, it's around $40'000-$50'000. And the "mistake" Sheldon made would have doubled that amount.

It's kind of sad and hilarious to watch the 750 rated Ams crying on social media that their "sponsor" screwed them over by not giving them everything they want (but were never promised). I haven't personally had a bad experience with Lone Star. My actual only complaint with them is the shipping cost for the shipper they use when you order from them directly. I've met, hung out with, and went out to dinner with Sheldon while at Masters Worlds and he is a genuine loveable guy. He made a mistake, owned it, the company honored it, and then got dragged for it. People are weird man.
Holy shit... all I can think is: how the fuck big is the "Ranger" team? They really are using that oil money to buy their way into markets. If they've got it, that's a viable strategy for sure. I know it helped saturate my area with DD and Trilogy having a single schlub like me push the product hard until they really took off nationwide. I'm sure having more than a handful of these Lone Star guys in my area is gonna do wonders for them in my area if they survive long enough.

Holy shit... all I can think is: how the fuck big is the "Ranger" team? They really are using that oil money to buy their way into markets. If they've got it, that's a viable strategy for sure. I know it helped saturate my area with DD and Trilogy having a single schlub like me push the product hard until they really took off nationwide. I'm sure having more than a handful of these Lone Star guys in my area is gonna do wonders for them in my area if they survive long enough.
The only factual data I know on the size of the Ranger Team is from the initial wave they signed last November. They selected 600 players out of the 2'500 plus applicants to be on the Ranger Team. Initial goal was to try and get roughly 10 players per state (more in larger states and less in smaller ones) to spread out the influence, plus 100 international players worldwide. A small group of Tournament Team, Founders Team, Pro Team, and Pro Touring Team players were signed as well and all were added to a Group Team Lonestar page (all toll count was just shy of 750 people including owners and staff on the page) at beginning of the year. Wave 2 of Ranger Team signings held in June I have no clue on. Seemed like everyone who applied got approved. The Team page went from roughly 750 people to just shy of 3'000. I know they had some issues with team members inviting non team members and it them getting on the page past the admins early on, but they were weeding those people out. After this "omg Lone Star is on fire" much to do about nothing, the page is down to about 2'000 people and dropping as they continue to remove people who harass, threaten, berate, and otherwise attack other players. Which is what made Sheldon's post about core values become necessary. It was wild watching grown men go nuclear over $14...

I feel like if an official person from the sponsor misspoke and promised something, that the right thing to do would be to offer that something for everyone, not just those who were quick to order.

It just shows their mismanagement and poor communication.

I worked in corporate event management. Just because you're juggling many things doesn't mean you can't make a quick phone call to confirm something before sending an official email with mistakes. Especially if it's that costly.

Amateur stuff.

So a dollar amount typo and failing to state that things (the team already knew weren't available and written into their contract wasn't available) despite listing what was available should be honored even after it was caught and corrected? Interesting business policy.

If you find something mispriced at say Wal-Mart and purchase it, they honor the advertised price, yes? Then they immediately change the display price and correct the system. Should I be able to go in a week later and try and purchase that same item for what you paid? It'd be amateur is they didn't let me...

Pretty sure Lone Star Manufactuing isn't an amateur company, the disc golf side is new, their multi-million dollar company is not. Contracts are a funny thing, especially when you get reminded what you signed and have to take to social media to cry about it not being fair.

So a dollar amount typo and failing to state that things (the team already knew weren't available and written into their contract wasn't available) despite listing what was available should be honored even after it was caught and corrected? Interesting business policy.

If you find something mispriced at say Wal-Mart and purchase it, they honor the advertised price, yes? Then they immediately change the display price and correct the system. Should I be able to go in a week later and try and purchase that same item for what you paid? It'd be amateur is they didn't let me...

Pretty sure Lone Star Manufactuing isn't an amateur company, the disc golf side is new, their multi-million dollar company is not. Contracts are a funny thing, especially when you get reminded what you signed and have to take to social media to cry about it not being fair.

My point is they honored it for some, but not for others.

If you want to take a stand, then be consistent.

I just recently switched to throwing discs weighing in the 150ish gram range. Gettin older.

The shop near me only carries lightweights in trilogy,mvp/axiom and lonestar.

I was needing a firebird replacement and an approach and a couple of mids. So i bought a Chupacabra,Texas Ranger,The Middy,Walker and Copperhead.

These discs are amazing in lightweights. The Texas Ranger and The Middy are my go to mids now. The Chupacabra,Walker and Copperhead are perfect for what i need them for.

I love the copperhead for long approach shots. I put a little bit on anhyzer on it and it does a nice little sweeping s shot right next to the basket.

Overall I'm pretty dang impressed. Other than the Trilogy companies Lonestar is for sure worth trying out. I'm gonna try some of their other lightweight discs out here soon. 👍

I don't completely understand the sale pitch for Lone Star - Try us. Nikko says in their commercial something to the effect of "I guarantee if you try every disc in the line up you will want to put multiple discs in your bag". Followed by another member urging the viewer to try them.

This seems like a halfway sales pitch. What mechanism do they have to get their full line up into people's hands? These discs may or may not be the best thing around, but nobody is going to buy the entire line up just to throw a few discs in their bag.

Maybe they should travel around the country to tournaments and allow players to try their discs fee of charge, and allow players to choose which discs they want to purchase and put in their bag.

I say this half tongue in cheek of course, but I certainly am not going to buy discs up front simply to "try" them.

I'm imagining other industries using the same kind of marketing! "Michael Jordan here - Buy every shoe Nike makes, I guarantee that you'll want to keep at least a couple of them!"

I mean to be fair it is a sales commercial, and while Nikko is correct in saying if you were to try every disc in their lineup you would probably end up bagging multiple discs, its a dreadful commercial. Not giving them a pass, but it was their second commercial as a disc golf company and their first with a marketing director with no prior experience in disc golf marketing.

I will say this for the company, they sponsor tons of juniors and pay their entry fees for tournaments. Which is cool. Maybe the huge amateur team they amassed is a way of getting their plastic out there to be tried by non normal customers. I don't know how things are in your area, but in mine there is a local disc golf shop with "tester" discs. You can practice your putting with an assortment of discs from several manufacturers and a small driving range (basically a large warehouse space with throwing nets). Several of the sponsored pros and lower level pros who also vend events, have multiple molds to test and throw before you buy. Brian Shintaku does for sure as I've visited his vendor tent at several different events.

When our local high school added disc golf to the curriculum I reached out to several manufacturers. Lone Star sent a box of 50 discs for free, so that was pretty cool of them.

All that said, I hate that commercial and eye roll every time I see it. I can confirm that the plastic is high quality and feels amazing, several molds are awesome while others are definitely very skill level specific (from very flippy beginner discs to only pro level beef).

Latest posts