• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Longer Compass?

joshuajames

Double Eagle Member
Looking for suggestions on a disc that is basically a longer Latitude Compass…

I put my Compass out to 350' flat ground. My beat in Gold Line will hold an anny for a long time before coming out of it. The fresher Opto comes out of an anny about half way through a 300' shot (holds a hyzer very well). Most of the time I rip hard into the Compass and it flies very very straight for 300-350 (with minimal fade).

If you consider the Compass to be a 5 speed mid range, I'm looking for about a 7 speed disc with similar flight characteristics. Something I could put out to about 375-400'.

I am open to any and all manufactures.

When I want to go straight with minimal fade but need to disc up from the Compass I use a slightly beat Opto Saint Pro.

I bet there's a teebird in some plastic or other that will do the same but others will know more about them. ☺

I throw a TL, which is 7,5,0,1, so same as Compass but faster. It's a great disc for both RHBH and RHFH, if you throw Innova. A friend of mine throws a Stalker, which he loves, if you want Discraft. It goes straight for him with a little dump at the end.

I'd say the Compass is on the slow end of Speed 5, at best. It really could be a 4 (or 4.5).

Having said that, here are some ideas.
TL
Teebird
Eagle
Prodigy F3 (underrated disc, IMO)
Gazelle
TL3
Teebird3

All of these are in "just higher" speed range, and some are more stable than others, but they're some names to start the research upon...

I haven't seasoned my recycled spark that much, but if it loses a bit of LSS while keeping the HSS, it will perfectly fit the bill.

Ignore the numbers, Opto Stag is the disc.

St.Pro is pretty good too but may fade a bit more.

Ignore the numbers, Opto Stag is the disc.

St.Pro is pretty good too but may fade a bit more.
Are you saying that if you throw the Stag 400' on a slight anny, it will still fight out of it?! Not the ones I've seen.

I do think that this sounds very much like a Teebird territory with that kind of power. Also heard a lot of good thing about the Recycled Spark so that could be another option.

It's not going to fight back to net 0 on a big anny but it wil fight out of it. Easily go 400 on a fairly straight line.

I would be looking at a Teebird, not a super beefy one though. A Teebird that is pretty true HSS and not much fade will be able to hold mild hyzer, very straight, and anhyzers that will not cut roll at that range (350-400'). You will likely need to watch PLH of a star Teebird or find a beat up champ one at PIAS or the like. There are probably other options but that is the one I know best.

Discmania FD or Latitude 64 River would fit. They fly very straight with a soft fade and can be sneaky long. I like the S-Line FD the most for those longer straight shots that finish with that minimal fade.

If you are throwing the Compass 350, then a TL is probably in the right neighborhood for the 400' shot on a similar line. There are a lot of discs in that spot including the Stalker, Ptero, Eagle-L, QJLS, C-FD, Thief, Patriot, and others but the TL is something of a classic mold. If you want to know that it is going to come out of an anhyzer, you might to stable up with a Teebird or any of its clones from other manufacturers.

I agree with the Stag recommendations. I think that would give you the longer flex line you're looking for.

which reminds me, where are the Elasto Stags at???

I am going g to second the DD from disc mania and Discraft's stalker. Though the stalker didn't fair as well as hoped, it got shoved into "longer buzzz" hype and had people wondering why they didn't just throw a buzzz on the shots they just did with the stalker.

This sounds like a Rival to me.

I haven't thrown a JLS in a while, but it might be worth considering one of those as well.

Rival is a good call.

A plain vanilla Opto Saint in heavy weights also beats into this straight flight - <170 Culverin as well.

Rival is a good call.

A plain vanilla Opto Saint in heavy weights also beats into this straight flight - <170 Culverin as well.

While the Saint is a very straight disc on a mild hyzer flip, even at that distance, I don't think its HSS is enough to make it "feel" like a longer Compass. I don't think someone looking to throw it 375'+ and trust it not to turn over or get too deep into an anny will have it do what they want. I have only thrown a pretty fresh Saint Pro and it was like some Teebirds, but I really don't know enough about that mold to recommend it in this case. I have not thrown a Rival but as it is compared to a Teebird I bet it is good.

Edit: I see OP already throws a Saint Pro in is sig.

Latest posts