• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Mids] Longer Mirage

Alexplz

Double Eagle Member
Hey guys - considering checking out a very understable midrange in premium plastic for woodsy hyzer flips.

The closest thing I can think of to what I'm looking for is a faster/longer protostar Mirage. I basically want to be able to flip this thing with a smooth 70% and have it track right a bit before a gentle fade, ending at center from a slight hyzer.

The underworld, hatchet and fury are some more discs that come to mind when I think smooth flip. The underworld does not fade at all, the fury is always a little shorter than I expect it to be but does fade slightly. I would say a slower opto hatchet is essentially what I'm thinking here.

It looks like the warrant or tursas are pretty close to what I'm looking for. In my experience, understable trilogy fairway drivers are flippier in opto equivalent rather than gold line. Can anyone comment on the flight/stability of different weights/plastics of these two molds?

Any other recommendations? 171g ESP comet is pretty close too, if not a tad too finicky.

Hey guys - considering checking out a very understable midrange in premium plastic for woodsy hyzer flips.

The closest thing I can think of to what I'm looking for is a faster/longer protostar Mirage. I basically want to be able to flip this thing with a smooth 70% and have it track right a bit before a gentle fade, ending at center from a slight hyzer.

The underworld, hatchet and fury are some more discs that come to mind when I think smooth flip. The underworld does not fade at all, the fury is always a little shorter than I expect it to be but does fade slightly. I would say a slower opto hatchet is essentially what I'm thinking here.

It looks like the warrant or tursas are pretty close to what I'm looking for. In my experience, understable trilogy fairway drivers are flippier in opto equivalent rather than gold line. Can anyone comment on the flight/stability of different weights/plastics of these two molds?

Any other recommendations? 171g ESP comet is pretty close too, if not a tad too finicky.

Been looking for a disc like this myself, so I'll follow this thread with interest.

One comment about the Opto and Gold Line plastics: My experience with both in using the River showed me that the River started with the same flight pattern fresh out of the box, but the Gold Line wears in a LOT faster. The Opto also will beat in; it's not durable like Champion plastic. But GL wears in and gets flippy faster.

ESP Meteor.

I had a flat ESP Meteor one time at about 169g, and it ate up power like crazy, could hardly flip it without a 100% nose-down rip. This could be due to prior form issues, or maybe flat ones are more stable or something.

Not a real popular mold, but when comparing to a Mirage, you may want to check out a Star Foxbat. My ex LOVED this disc for hyzerflips and turnovers. For me, when powered down it becomes a great touch flip up disc with amazing glide.

Personally, the 400G M4 is the greatest understable mid I've ever touched in almost 15 years of playing. Incredible control, hyzerflips to a laser beam, sky turnovers, long late-turning left to right shots through the woods. One of my all time favorite discs if I'm even close to a wooded course (which most of Michigan is) I highly, highly recommend checking out a 400G M4. It excels at the flight you've described perfectly.

Flying Squirrel in Gold plastic. The Platinum plastic is kind of beefy. Stingrays would probably work in this role too.

I had a flat ESP Meteor one time at about 169g, and it ate up power like crazy, could hardly flip it without a 100% nose-down rip. This could be due to prior form issues, or maybe flat ones are more stable or something.

They do vary. My flat one is the one that really turns for me. Has to be in the shoulder.

Not a real popular mold, but when comparing to a Mirage, you may want to check out a Star Foxbat. My ex LOVED this disc for hyzerflips and turnovers. For me, when powered down it becomes a great touch flip up disc with amazing glide.

Personally, the 400G M4 is the greatest understable mid I've ever touched in almost 15 years of playing. Incredible control, hyzerflips to a laser beam, sky turnovers, long late-turning left to right shots through the woods. One of my all time favorite discs if I'm even close to a wooded course (which most of Michigan is) I highly, highly recommend checking out a 400G M4. It excels at the flight you've described perfectly.

I had forgotten about the M4. I second its recommendation as an awesome understable mid. :thmbup:

The Foxbat is a lot of fun to throw, but the wind can take that disc and throw it around and abuse it like the Slender Man does Jeff (a little Creepypasta reference, there...)...

The flight you are describing is how the Atomic Piwakawaka flies for me. If your arm isn't as good maybe try a strata one.

DGA Tremor is fairly flippy and can be finessed a lot. My US mid of choice is an M4 though. I think the Tremor is more for touch shots

I was going to say for a fairway driver shot, the Leopard/3 is this disc. Does this if you have a beat DX/Pro or a lighter premium plastic under 170 grams at about 167-166 grams or lighter. Those you can power down on to 70% to get this flight.

Last edited:
I was going to say for a fairway driver shot, the Leopard/3 is this disc. Does this if you have a beat DX/Pro or a lighter premium plastic under 170 grams at about 167-166 grams or lighter. Those you can power down on to 70% to get this flight.

Agree with this. I have a Champ Leo3 and Star Leo3, both still relatively new, both 167g. The Champ will get the flight the OP wants thrown at about any power (if you're not a McBeth or GG arm), while the Star Leo3 will make that flight pattern at a power where one is throwing for accuracy over pure max distance.

My Star Mirage is my favorite disc (being a RHBH only player)...depending on the length you're looking for the Underworld is awesome. I currently have a VIP and it's my workhorse when I need a right turning fairway driver...definitely close to the Mirage flight. If you want longer my Fury does that for me....beautiful flight as well. As far as a midrange Mirage I haven't found one yet. At times I've thought about just not worrying about a midrange Mirage because it flies so far with very little effort anyway. I tried the Tursas but it always wanted to come back to center for me. The Fuse it pretty close but it seems to be a little more finicky for me than the Mirage. Just ordered the Theory and going to give it a shot for my Mirage flying mid. If it doesn't work out I'm going to keep working with the Fuse.

Not sure if I helped any but these have been my experiences!

TripleB