• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Looking for advice to develop better form

You are still falling away from target in the followthru. I think the camera behind tee will better show your issue.

The more backwards you plant the front foot, the earlier it will rotate during the swing. It should end up facing about 10 o'clock at release. If your foot is still pointed back then you are going over top and not putting your pressure into the right spot. Your natural hip mobility will also factor into your ideal position. Are you naturally pigeon toed or duck footed or more neutral?

I'm not sure what you're saying here about the front foot positioning, I'm guessing you are saying I might close it too much off target here? I'm naturally quite neutral regarding foot positioning, when I walk they plant pretty straigth directionalwise, and I'd say my hips are a bit more ER based than IR.

Is the falling away something you see in the recent posts where I try to not lean into my shots or is it also present in the older videos? From my understanding staying behind the plant foot happens a bit now when I try to get the right spine positioning, but I have a hunch I'm just thinking about the spine thing falsely and might reconsider how I'm working on that.

Since it's off-season now, and I've been working on form for two years almost straight my goal is to have a form break in February and only play my then current form into place.

From what I judge, the whole posture and brace spine positioning (tilted spiral thingy that I still cant grasp properly is what is the most fundementally flawed aspect in my form rigth now, would you agree?

And therefore will be my number one priority, also the arm swinging straight and IR pocket is something I will work on but suspect will be an easier fix. Other than that I'll keep on refining doorframe drill, inside swing etc and generally relaxing my posture and get more ease into my throw. Would you think this is a good mindset and goals to have or would you focus otherwise for 3 months forward now?

I'll post a few drills I did yesterday related to the things earlier in my thread.

Attachments

• IMG_0309.jpeg
    IMG_0309.jpeg
    634.2 KB · Views: 0
Spade - you are staying too centered, so you aren't really using your weight to leverage the swing. You also retract your right arm/elbow on the forward swing instead of extending outward. Note how my head moves over both feet and right elbow is extended in the bottom pic. It is ok to fall over a little bit as the swing pulls you.

Screen Shot 2023-12-12 at 2.42.07 PM.png

Ride the Bull - you are starting too upright and feet are too close together and not doing anything close to what I do in the drill. Start in athletic stance/ready to move any direction, feet a little wider than shoulders and spine tilted forward toward camera/toes. Note how the left frame my rear foot rolled inward to shift pressure to the frontside. In the left frame I finished with head balanced on front foot and rear foot tippy toes on ground behind me like a bicycle kickstand.

Screen Shot 2023-12-12 at 2.22.35 PM.png

Spade - you are staying too centered, so you aren't really using your weight to leverage the swing. You also retract your right arm/elbow on the forward swing instead of extending outward. Note how my head moves over both feet and right elbow is extended in the bottom pic. It is ok to fall over a little bit as the swing pulls you.

View attachment 329549

Ride the Bull - you are starting too upright and feet are too close together and not doing anything close to what I do in the drill. Start in athletic stance/ready to move any direction, feet a little wider than shoulders and spine tilted forward toward camera/toes. Note how the left frame my rear foot rolled inward to shift pressure to the frontside. In the left frame I finished with head balanced on front foot and rear foot tippy toes on ground behind me like a bicycle kickstand.

View attachment 329548

Thanks! I'll work on it, the last one was "the steve prett move" btw I mistakenly wrote ride the bull on it, but I guess I can try that one out too.

Here's my recent session throwing a bat after looking at Aceit discgolfs video about sledgehammers and feeling inspired, I guess a bat does the job too?

When swinging a long lever like a bat you shouldn't really bend your elbow. Let go of any tension in the arm and swing it centrifugally like ball on string.

It looks like you are going too rotational and/or your hinge point is in the wrong place. Your rear knee is going way out ahead/west/left of your rear shoulder and your front knee. In your side x-step view your backswing looks too rotational, like you slow down forward momentum to rotate back instead of leveraging forward against the backswing and getting pulled back rotationally from the inertia/momentum of the backswing like Door Frame Drill. Note how far my to the west/left my lead shoulder is from my rear knee, so I'm in more athletic forward tilted posture like running(Elephant Walk Drill).
Screen Shot 2023-12-13 at 1.39.47 AM.png

When swinging a long lever like a bat you shouldn't really bend your elbow. Let go of any tension in the arm and swing it centrifugally like ball on string.

It looks like you are going too rotational and/or your hinge point is in the wrong place. Your rear knee is going way out ahead/west/left of your rear shoulder and your front knee. In your side x-step view your backswing looks too rotational, like you slow down forward momentum to rotate back instead of leveraging forward against the backswing and getting pulled back rotationally from the inertia/momentum of the backswing like Door Frame Drill. Note how far my to the west/left my lead shoulder is from my rear knee, so I'm in more athletic forward tilted posture like running(Elephant Walk Drill).
View attachment 329553

Thanks! I'll try swinging something infront of a mirror and see if I can correct the posture, I'll experiment trying to be less rotational/not force rotation (I'm unsure if I do this) regarding the hinge point possibly being at the wrong place, can you elaborate on this and what I should look for/experiment with to see if it's the issue here as I'm not sure what that means?

I re-watched them now for maybe the 5th time, what you said about "if the hips turn early before the heel lands you go over the top..." feels like what I might be doing. Especially when I do standstills I've noticed that I "crash the can" before my heel is fully landed, so my foot angle sometimes even slightly shifts angle to being a bit more open (already rotating) before the weight is fully shifted.

So maybe I'll try to upload a few standstills or something.

So if this is the case, I'd guess my issue is early rotation which I assume the second video is addressing, I did the drill in the first video also but I'm not sure if this in addressing my issues or maybe I'm not connecting with it yet.

Makes sense, think this started when trying to do the tilted spiral, so I'm curious if I do the same in my earlier form on page 1? I'll try to get some fresh footage soon.
Kind of the same basic over top posture/hinge in ankle, but your rear leg is moving forward now.

Kind of the same basic over top posture/hinge in ankle, but your rear leg is moving forward now.
Gotcha, I found this drill, would this be relevant to not get over the top with my upper body and stay behind brace/tilted spiral? I really need something so I could get the right feel for it, because my body is still not getting it.

Gotcha, I found this drill, would this be relevant to not get over the top with my upper body and stay behind brace/tilted spiral? I really need something so I could get the right feel for it, because my body is still not getting it.

There's some debate about using props that help positioning vs ones that make it harder(some argue harder works better). Sometimes exaggerating your error can help feel how ridiculous the bad position is, like if you try to go over the top in Swivel Stairs you might fall to your death. Although using the props to help feel the correct positioning can also be useful.

Status: Still struggling with the whole "tilted spiral" thing, I think I can grasp the concept but no matter what I try I can't seem to get any clear signs that I'm getting closer to it, so not sure how to work with this going forward.

Might this be relevant to some of my issues, especially thinking about that from the back view I'm leaning over the toe too much, and my knees are quite bent, should I try to get my ass back more from the stride, instead of squatting which I'm guessing is what I might be doing know?

You are jumping back and forth too far - too wide stance when you are trying to Ride the Bull. You can't really balance on either leg for very long with your feet landing that far apart, so your center is more stuck between your feet, instead of moving your center/balance more controllable foot to foot. Note how much closer together my feet are when I'm Riding the Bull, so my toes barely move while my heels move more.

Your head tilt when you throw kills me, it's all kinked up and never inline with the rest of your spine.

You are jumping back and forth too far - too wide stance when you are trying to Ride the Bull. You can't really balance on either leg for very long with your feet landing that far apart, so your center is more stuck between your feet, instead of moving your center/balance more controllable foot to foot. Note how much closer together my feet are when I'm Riding the Bull, so my toes barely move while my heels move more.

Your head tilt when you throw kills me, it's all kinked up and never inline with the rest of your spine.

Yes the head tilt is awful, I'm wondering if its related to the way I coil, I've tried a lot but seems the more I relax my back and not lean into the coil it helps a little, some times it even feels tense after throwing and I think it limits me a lot, are those links related to work on that?

From yesterdays session

1. On this throw, I tried to work on my plant leg and getting more inside posture and also not getting toes over knees by landing better to get more stacked, and also trying to push faster off the ground/buttwipe. There seems to be some improvement in my eye

2. Still working on posture from behind and plant leg - trying a wide standstill.

3. Working on the tilted spiral, I've found that being quick and tight with the left arm and anchoring it helps with not going over the top, also doing a little shuffle hop here, does my footwork look better this way?

Attachments

• IMG_0498.jpeg
    IMG_0498.jpeg
    422.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0501.jpeg
    IMG_0501.jpeg
    343.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0497.jpeg
    IMG_0497.jpeg
    294.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0502.jpeg
    IMG_0502.jpeg
    314.4 KB · Views: 0
Think your standstill shows issue the best. Your backswing has zero shift of your center in any direction, you are just turning back without any shifting. Note how much deeper I shift back inside my posture and stay braced deeper inside posture thru the release.

Screen Shot 2024-01-07 at 12.39.28 AM.png

Think your standstill shows issue the best. Your backswing has zero shift of your center in any direction, you are just turning back without any shifting. Note how much deeper I shift back inside my posture and stay braced deeper inside posture thru the release.

View attachment 330512

Thank you, will work on elephant stride/standstill today.

Question:
Did some riding the bull today in front of mirror, with a closer stride I could feel my hips rock and extend left and right more and shift the body like in the prett move. Is this they key component of that drill and should I look for that feel in both the backswing and in the brace?

Attachments

• IMG_0554.mov
    15.8 MB

Latest posts