• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Looking for advice to develop better form

Here's a throw where I'm focusing on the Door fram drill, how does it look? And I'm specificly curios around spine angle, is that specific part getting any better in my throw? I prefer working on one thing at a time and that's my main focus rigth now, but I find it a bit hard to see if and when I do it better/right.

I also watched a video today, the level up series, and erhart is talking about timing and pretty much around the door frame/leaving disc in place, and how that helps to get a better spine angle, not coming over the top... which is from what I understand is a part of my problem, right?

Not particularly any better. Your head/spine is tilted over and leading your stride all the way thru the finish, instead of your lower body leading the stride and changing your tilt at some point.
Screen Shot 2023-11-20 at 11.41.11 AM.png

Rick and me vs you. Your arm/disc is not loaded back.
View attachment 314529

Worked a bit on the forehand today.
Trying out pendulum style as this is something I often get more effortless distance with, however I struggle with controlling the angle projection and nose angle. I also focused on loading the disc more back as we discussed earlier.

Normal:

Pendulum:

Not particularly any better. Your head/spine is tilted over and leading your stride all the way thru the finish, instead of your lower body leading the stride and changing your tilt at some point.
View attachment 327760

Going IR into the power pocket should create a bigger pocket/sling bringing the disc closer to body behind the elbow(out) with better tension/load.

When you go ER into the power pocket it drops the elbow down/in and creates slack in the system.

1. Here are two videos where I think I'm addressing the two issues mentioned above, any improvements from your POV?

2. Same as above, but over-exaggerating the spine tilt, good or a bit too much?

Your head is tipping over and your elbow is being pulling down and into your body.
My head is moving back inside while my elbow is centrifugally being pulled up and out away from body like ball on string.
View attachment 320064

3. From what I can see elbow's looking better, still some leaning over with the head which seems to be very ingrained from trying to "lean over toes" cue to get more hyzer tilt, not sure how to think about it to change it. Otherwise posture seem good?

Last edited:
You get into the leaning funky chicken posture, instead of turning back stacked/tight/centered.
Screen Shot 2023-11-27 at 2.31.50 AM.png

You get into the leaning funky chicken posture, instead of turning back stacked/tight/centered.
View attachment 328245

Okay cool, how does this relate to tilt? If I throw like gibson when and how will my body get in to a tilted position. I guess I'm leaning forward in order to get more tilted, nose over toes idea and all of that, but what you're saying is that its not a good way to do it?

1. You are holding your arm/disc over-pronated and artificially way out wide/west which is probably pulling your upper body over too much. Your Door Frame Drill is very different stance positioning than Simon and GG and myself with front foot planting more inline to hand/disc.

2. You take a weird step moving off right foot going into the x-step putting your left foot/knee very far over to the right/east.

3. Note how both Simon and GG have their knees close together as the right foot strides past left foot, while you have a lot a space between your knees. There are two different styles, Simon starts with a left/westward tilt, but note how his right leg swings underneath him inside-out, your right leg swing outside-in. GG starts more upright on the x-step and then goes into tilt striding straight into the plant.

Screen Shot 2023-11-27 at 5.24.04 PM copy.jpg

1. You are holding your arm/disc over-pronated and artificially way out wide/west which is probably pulling your upper body over too much. Your Door Frame Drill is very different stance positioning than Simon and GG and myself with front foot planting more inline to hand/disc.

2. You take a weird step moving off right foot going into the x-step putting your left foot/knee very far over to the right/east.

3. Note how both Simon and GG have their knees close together as the right foot strides past left foot, while you have a lot a space between your knees. There are two different styles, Simon starts with a left/westward tilt, but note how his right leg swings underneath him inside-out, your right leg swing outside-in. GG starts more upright on the x-step and then goes into tilt striding straight into the plant.

View attachment 328344

I've been trying to walk closer with the knees, having a more straight reach back, but my plant foot is still ending up in a similar position, it looks like to me that Simon and GG is planting with more stagger, and perhaps also shifitng their weight more 10 ish a clock, is this something to try out? Also if my plant leg only would be less bent, it should put my plant foot in a better position, but I'm not sure why I'm having so much bend in my knee...

update from field work;
Shifting more towards 10 o clock, wider last step and trying to avoid bend in the plant foot. How does this look?

Attachments

• IMG_0048.jpeg
    IMG_0048.jpeg
    536 KB · Views: 0
The throwing part looks better.

You still doing some funky chicken posture in the x-step.

Your head is tilted over ear down into shoulder instead of upright/neutral to spine.

Your right elbow is way out and moving around a lot. Simon more or less leaves his elbow in place as he strides into the plant. If you can find a pole somewhere you can do a bent elbow door frame drill with your elbow wrapped around the pole.

Screen Shot 2023-12-01 at 7.55.26 PM.png

You aren't maintaining a chest forward tilted spiral over the knee/hip. I think your hinge is in the wrong place.
Screen Shot 2023-12-05 at 5.35.55 PM.png

You aren't maintaining a chest forward tilted spiral over the knee/hip. I think your hinge is in the wrong place.
View attachment 328907

Not sure how to address this, but from the videos I partially got that I need to get my left thigh more into my right thigh as I throw? Not sure how this relates to the lack of forward tilt. Also curious why I bend so much in the knee, even as it hits the ground it bends much more then pros, they get more stacked inline on their foot, which feels more powerful but unsure how to properly get there... has been working lots on doorframe, inside swing and the bow drill lately. Avoiding early reachback and working around the disc is getting much better, but I'm still struggling with that last drift into a good postural plant.

You are falling backward off your plant leg in your followthru, instead of standing up on it into the finish and going around it.

Screen Shot 2023-12-07 at 5.24.20 PM.png

You are falling backward off your plant leg in your followthru, instead of standing up on it into the finish and going around it.

View attachment 328961

Ah yes, I don't think I usually do this, but it can happen as I try to stay back and not tipping over the brace/tilted spiral… because I'm trying to over exaggerate to get the spine angled up and not tipping over. I feel like sometimes I do some weird stuff when doing cues or trying to implement drills, but maybe I'm doing it all wrong, or I should expect to get in some weird position?

I guess what I'm saying sometimes I'm not sure if some of my faults in my uploaded form is happening because of the cue/focus/drill I'm doing or if it's also present in my normal form.

Nevertheless, I've been practicing lots on the walk up recently, leaving the disc behind McBeth style and getting in a good doorframe/inside swing position into the plant.

I feel and from what I can see my posture and overall positions looks pretty good, but I'm finding it very hard to implement it into my normal throw with a disc.

But I'll keep trying to tighten the gap by going slow. When I'm practicing in front of mirror without throwing I notice my body is more relaxed and I don't get in any weird leaned positions.

How does it look like to you? Should I keep bridging the gap or am I fundamentally doing something wrong in the walk up/shift here?

Attachments

• IMG_0205.png
    IMG_0205.png
    5.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0199.jpeg
    IMG_0199.jpeg
    368.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0206.png
    IMG_0206.png
    4.3 MB · Views: 0

I was wondering why me knee did not looked bent from backview when doing slow practice without disc, but looking in the mirror I saw it was bent, just differently

It looks like to me that I'm crushing the can (rotating heel) before I'm fully down on my heel and grounded in plant foot. I've really noticed this when doing standstills as its more apparent

Last edited:
You are still falling away from target in the followthru. I think the camera behind tee will better show your issue.

The more backwards you plant the front foot, the earlier it will rotate during the swing. It should end up facing about 10 o'clock at release. If your foot is still pointed back then you are going over top and not putting your pressure into the right spot. Your natural hip mobility will also factor into your ideal position. Are you naturally pigeon toed or duck footed or more neutral?