• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Looking to hit 300 I’m stuck at 280

You are doing lots of classic strong arming moves. You are about to embark on an awkward and counter-intuitive journey.

ZxsUSsW.png

1. You turn your front leg open into the plant after walking the x-step backwards instead of moving laterally and staying closed.

2. You tilt your head over into the plant, and fall over top the front leg instead of landing upright on the front leg with the lower spine leading the upper spine forward(dynamic balance from the ground up).

3. You are hugging yourself with the upper arm collapsed against your chest, so your elbow never leads forward with front shoulder closed and your wrist is already extended open.

I'd start going down the list. Video yourself doing the drills, post with questions.
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/...&t=13291&sid=56b0d9affa6623d471a5ad699a5b8adf
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119328

Would focusing on a good reach back with my body facing 180 degrees from the target help my front foot plant?

Would focusing on a good reach back with my body facing 180 degrees from the target help my front foot plant?

Not likely. It starts from lower body...so focusing on using the hips to turn the body/torso to result in a leveraged backswing is a better way to go about it I think. I don't like the term reachback since it makes people use their arm, and that is exactly what you're doing right now.

Basically focus on the body, not the arm.

On point 1. Do you mean I move my foot further backwards in the video to open my hips for the disc to travel straight through?

As your right foot is coming down, it is rotating open/clockwise as it is landing. Pro's have the foot turning slightly more closed/counterclockwise as they are landing. This is due to how they set up on their left leg in proper balance, to turn back longer and later into the X-step motion, while moving sideways/laterally to the plant leg rather than rotating to it.

You are turning your foot/leg counter-clockwise(LHBH) to point open toward the target. You want to plant the foot more perpendicular to trajectory line.

As your right foot is coming down, it is rotating open/clockwise as it is landing. Pro's have the foot turning slightly more closed/counterclockwise as they are landing. This is due to how they set up on their left leg in proper balance, to turn back longer and later into the X-step motion, while moving sideways/laterally to the plant leg rather than rotating to it.

Whoops totally forget you were lefty...reverse those directions.

I've been working on 1. And my shots are now straight and my putter is going almost as far as my average drive! Thank you. I'll keep on.