• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discmania] Love my FD’s but

Sort of want to replace them.

The lack of consistency from run to run and the fact that even in normal times availability can be spotty kind of has me wanting to try something different.

I briefly gave the River a shot but it is nothing like any of my FDs. Way more understable and way too much dome for my taste. My favorite FDs are the flatter S-lines.

Sort of want to stay away from anything Innova makes because I don't want to buy six of them to find one that feels and flies like I want.

Any ideas?

seems weird to me considering champion plastic FD runs are very similar except for overstable 2nd runs.

they're all slightly understable glide-y fairways. i have 5th, 3rd, 6th, color glow, and 7th run c pd and when new they all are similar and easily can get used to them.

maybe star plastic ones are different between runs.

the most similar thing in innova are leo3. my glow bag has color glow c fd and champ leo3 and can't really tell the difference. i bag both in my glow bag in case if i lose my expensive color glow fd i can slot in the leo3 immediately

The Stalker is best used in Z, ESP tends to be flippier for the mold for some reason, though the 1st Run PPs were quire amazing.

AGLs Sycamore is quite similar to the FD in terms of numbers but with a slightly different hand feel, and they usually don't have a huge dome.

Another to try is the Stalker in Z, though that flies like a Eagle-X bran new in DX. That is how I liked the mold for myself. Another is try the Champion Viking but that will be a little more OS then the TL at a -1|2 for turn and fade rather then TL being -1|1. Also they make a DX Viking but that ends up quickly a Valkyrie in flight.

I have a DX EL. I have to be so careful with it because it turns so hard and never comes back. Don't need another like that. Hoping the Gstar EL is a happy place.

I had 30mins to compare a few discs.
C-Line FD 167g just starting to break in: baby turn more fade than I want
Cosmic Neutron Relay 169g just breaking in: sometimes more turn, sometimes more fade
DX Eagle-L 169g beat up: only turns all the time
Fusion Maverick 173g new: gentle turn, gentle fade, very nice
Gstar TL 175g new: no turn, baby fade
Champion TL3 164g new: exactly like the FD baby turn, some fade

Last edited:
The Stalker is best used in Z, ESP tends to be flippier for the mold for some reason, though the 1st Run PPs were quire amazing.

AGLs Sycamore is quite similar to the FD in terms of numbers but with a slightly different hand feel, and they usually don't have a huge dome.

I agree having seen some Pro D Stalker from the 2000's when they made such a thing. The Stalker in Pro D was more flippy in that plastic then Z or X they made at the time in the Elite style. No longer made since Pro D went from Super Stiff as PDGA allowed to modern in 2006 sometime.

I would suggest looking into the Infinite Centurion

Yep, was going to recommend this as well :hfive: . My Glow Metal Flake Centurion is flat and stiff and flies very similarly to my Night Strike 3, but maybe slightly more OS (not beefy by any means, just a little more than the FD). If you really want a flat one, OTB has them and you can pick one of the flatter end of the spectrum.

I had two Prodigy F5's show up last night. Very similar feel in the hand to my favorite FDs. Anxious to throw them and see how they fly. Hoping they aren't drastically more understable than my FDs.

I had two Prodigy F5's show up last night. Very similar feel in the hand to my favorite FDs. Anxious to throw them and see how they fly. Hoping they aren't drastically more understable than my FDs.

If the F5s are not less stable than FDs out of the box, then Prodigy really is a crap shoot. (I have two 400 D2s one is very overstable and one has the -1 turn) But maybe so is every other manufacturer.

Go down the DM rabbit hole of chasing down an Essence. I saw someone swear they were better in every way to an FD, which is preposterous and inconceivable.

Or just stop the madness already. 😬

Go down the DM rabbit hole of chasing down an Essence. I saw someone swear they were better in every way to an FD, which is preposterous and inconceivable.

Or just stop the madness already. [emoji51]

Ha. Two of the guys I play with pretty regularly both bag an Essence. I've thrown both of theirs and just didn't like it. One of them is freakishly overstable. The other is decent but not spectacular.

Discmania had a bunch of Essences in stock a week or two ago.

Yep, was going to recommend this as well :hfive: . My Glow Metal Flake Centurion is flat and stiff and flies very similarly to my Night Strike 3, but maybe slightly more OS (not beefy by any means, just a little more than the FD). If you really want a flat one, OTB has them and you can pick one of the flatter end of the spectrum.

I love my MFG! I have a S Bland that is dead straight. I ordered two the Marwede sig series and I hope they fly just the same

I love my G star FD's but good luck finding any of those anymore. I also love my G star and Star CD2's but those have gone away too. I'll be throwing my remaining FD's and CD2's on the water holes in Phoenix next weekend and then looking for replacements for them when they are gone. Looking forward to trying out the Infinite Centurion.

It's kind of amazing how such a vital slot in so many peoples' bags is so hard to fill. I have gotten nervous with my Stags that they may go OOP due to lack of sales and availability. Their popularity has surged a bit lately and they aren't on the 2021 chopping block, but that could just be a temporary respite for the mold. I've taken a couple furtive glances at the TL and Essence in case Stags do eventually disappear for good, and I will add the Centurion to that backup list now too.

Hmm. Threw a round today without my FD's. (Technically 2 nine hole courses)

Threw FD type shots with a combination of FD5's, Drifts, and the Stalker.

None of them covered the FD shot as a direct replacement.

The Drift is a lot of fun and gets crazy distance and is super easy to hyzer flip. Definitely noticeably more understable than the FD.

The F5 wouldn't flip up like the Drift and probably was closer in flight to my FD's but just wasn't quite the same.

The Stalker was a bit more low speed stable than the FD.

Starting to look like I might just have to stick with the FD a bit longer.

Hmm. Threw a round today without my FD's. (Technically 2 nine hole courses)

Threw FD type shots with a combination of FD5's, Drifts, and the Stalker.

None of them covered the FD shot as a direct replacement.

The Drift is a lot of fun and gets crazy distance and is super easy to hyzer flip. Definitely noticeably more understable than the FD.

The F5 wouldn't flip up like the Drift and probably was closer in flight to my FD's but just wasn't quite the same.

The Stalker was a bit more low speed stable than the FD.

Starting to look like I might just have to stick with the FD a bit longer.

Can you post a profile, wing and dome, of that Drift?

Latest posts