• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Making a course a central part of the Community!

Ripper

Double Eagle Member
Facebook Disc Golf

Figured I would make a Facebook page and a website. The main goal is to make this Disc Golf course a central part of my community and Boone County in a whole. The course is Nationally and well known and every top player has played it, but still it's kind of a black hole to mainstream people, and businesses or it's a place were there kids play soccer or football practice. Thread on my local board was complaining about not being able to secure sponsors etc. Think they just go at it the wrong way, and my main goal is to make the Mountin Bike and Disc Golf Courses at Idlewild a center of pride. Think there are a few things i'm trying to do to help do that. Anyways the pics and work above were about 4 hrs of my day, 1/4 gallon of weedeater gas, can of paint, wire brushes, some clorox and a pump sprayer and feel 100 % better about the course already. Some things I would like to do though.

Number 1 Item - Make a list of local non franchised businesses and then add them to a map surrounding the course. Also make a free caddy book, and score card with names and addresses and try and get people to goto those establishments and order a meal, etc after there rounds. The webspace, domain name and programming are all free as i'm doing them and enjoy doing so, just want to try and generate some buzz about disc Golf in the community. Maybe make a local Sunday routine like the cycling community has with beers and gears or something like that were stop at a local establishment after a round and watch the NFL, and just let that establishment know that we are Disc Golfers, etc. Then in 4 - 5 months when tourney time comes around then I think we would have a much better chance of them sponsoring said tournament.

Number 2 Item - Create a History, in the circles everyone knows what Nicko, Avery, Tyler Horne and others have done to carve Idlewild up, yet nothing is documented. Thinking of making some sort of memorial for the winners of the A Tier tourney every year. Maybe, a brick around hole 1 or some other item embedded in the course. Idlewild already has a bit of history on each tee sign, signed cinder core and dedicated sign on the course, think it would be awesome to make something where the winner will get there place in the course for the rest of time. Savageman Tri has a vicious climb where if you make it up the hill you get a brick and first hand have seen how the small town of Westernport has embraced this tradition and would love to create something like this at Idlewild. Maybe set everything in the most extreme position and whoever shoots even gets some sort of plaque or brick in the course. The Savageman Tri if you make it up the Westerport wall you get a brick. Westernport Wall Savageman 70.0.

Number 3 Make course maps that get people excited. Have a SLR camera i'm borrowing and an HD Vid and going to make some high quality pics that are central to both the course and the trails at Idlewild. I'm usually there 6 days week usually either mountain biking, running, or playing Disc Golf, and always wanted to help out, as I've never had anything like this were I lived before I moved to Hebron 5 years ago and thankful, and grateful that we do get this plot of land for our enjoyment. Think it's not just to get the disc golf course and keep it at the top of the review list here but also, helping our community and strengthening it. Something as simple as just getting a group together to play and then watch football at a local bar vs going to another area to do so would go along way in helping promote disc golf.

Think maybe there would be some suggestions of how to make the Disc Golf courses more mainstream. This isn't really about getting new players to the courses but how to get bushiness excited about helping out our tournaments, course maintenance, and best of all helping the small local businesses who sometimes are getting punched in the gut by the tax breaks that bigger chains, etc get.

Good post!

The number one thing you can do, in addition to the ideas of frequenting local establishments more (as well as including cool ones on your course maps), is to build a beginner's 9 hole course. Every hole can be 150 ft or under so that attention spans are held and confidence is built.

Why?

Well, a lot of people will bring their kids to em that's why. You have your championship course...now build the pitch and putt.

You'll bring more people to the park, and more people will spend more money in the local establishments. Plus, you'll be introducing the game to kids. Kids eventually get older and many of them will continue to play disc golf. Involve the local boy scout troop too; they're a great resource and its a terrific experience for both adults and kids to help build or maintain a course.

I'll comment more on this when it all sinks in and I have a second to really put my words down, but I agree whole-heartedly with Peterb on the Boy Scouts. Our local troop of scouts is always down at the course doing community service projects and eagle scout projects. This year we had the boy scouts out around 5 times to do a litter pick up and course maintenance and two scouts put in new tee pads on most of the holes for their eagle scout projects. From what I'm hearing, there are gonna be some scouts coming in next spring to help us put in a new pavilion and plant some trees where others have been either cut down or destroyed (by vandals). BSA - great work and help to/from the community.

Like I said bud, I'll get a better comment on here once I get this all sorted out in my head. Those pics look great though, just the time you've put in already is awesome and noticeable. Next time I'm down there I'll give you a hand doing some maintenance and then we'll play a round as a reward lol.

Latest posts