• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Mamba time!!

Sounds like I may need to hunt down a Champ Mamba or two. Thanks for the info guys.

Oh, and I'm not too worried about wind. Living in Utah means I rarely see any kind of breeze, and everything flies more stable due to elevation. Back in my Nebraska days I never would have thrown something like a Mamba.

The Mamba is sweet. I have a 170g Star (really nice and gummy plastic with some great give to it.) Not flat but not huge dome-- very average profile. For reference I average around 350-360 on flat ground.

My Star Mamba was freakishly overstable out of the box (as all Innova discs are TBH), but a couple weeks later and it's flying more how it's supposed to. I love this disc for very consistent hyzer flips. I throw it hard with like a 30 degree Hyzer, and the amount of late flip this thing gets is impessive, yet still glidey enough to fight out of the turn and still finish softly. Most other distance drivers I've tried have been inconsistent at best for hyzer flipping, but the mamba is so consistently flippy that I can mash it on a rather extreme hyzer angle and get what I want.

I picked up a couple of Champion and a couple of Star Mambas recently as I was looking for a replacement for my Vanish.

Mine are flying like my seasoned Wraiths as well, but I imagine they will break in pretty quickly.

Didn't take long for my new Star Mamba to strike gold! Today was pretty windy (gusts up to 25mph). I took the Star Mamba and threw it with the tailwind hard and flat straight at a 333 feet basket. With the tailwind, the disc flew like 11/6/-1/1. It hit center pole with authority for my first ace over 300 feet! It had enough juice that it could have pushed out to 350 and beyond.

I have both an Echostar and Star Mamba. I throw the Echostar rather well. The Star- not as much success. Can somebody explain the general differences between the two?

I have both an Echostar and Star Mamba. I throw the Echostar rather well. The Star- not as much success. Can somebody explain the general differences between the two?

In my experience, echostar is mildy to moderately more durable than DX plastic. Star is much more durable. Echostar is more likely to beat in faster and give a more mellow flight, more turn. The star will likely be more stable and beat in more slowly. Very different plastics and since Echostar has not been run very much, if at all for mambas recently, its older and more beat in.

Echostar is by far my favorite distance plastic. Been hording Echostar Terns for years. The mambas have not worked as well for me, but then again, I may not have thrown them enough.

I agree this suck in the wind, but that's what other discs are for. I use the mamba a lot. Big backhand turnovers, or hyzer flip to flat forehands that I need max distance with on a tailwind shot. Also use it for long distance forehand rollers when scrambling. Sometimes throw it on a player b tunnel shot in the woods, but it will never replace the sidewinders in my bag.

Not a good summer for my mambas. Lost my only Echostar to a water hazard in early August. Lost my first ever Gstar to a swamp last week. Ordered 3 more Gstars to replace that one. Saw various weights/colors of the Halos available at the Innova Factory Store - most sold out quickly. Didn't pull the trigger - not to enthused with my current Star which I've had for years. Waiting to see more reviews.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that. I've been having a lot of fun with a 150 GStar Mamba.

Yeah, once I lost my Echostar (pale Orange 171g) to the drink last month, I snatched up a 168g Gstar. The latest three I got were the lightest I could find: 171g, and 2 x 172g. The former is everyone's favorite color: dark green!

Seems like Halo Mambas dropped. Anybody have any experience with them yet?

I bought a pair of halo mambas last week and they are beefy as all hell. They're basically slightly seasoned destroyers. I love them.

I bought a pair of halo mambas last week and they are beefy as all hell. They're basically slightly seasoned destroyers. I love them.

I threw a halo Mamba in the field last week. Not super beefy, but not really understable either. Something like 11, 5, -2, 2. Reminded me a lot of a slower Shryke or G* Corvette. Very long disc for speed 11. Basically it flew like a beat Wraith wishes it could.

The 170 Star Mamba I aced with was a wind fighter and flew like a -2/2 when I first got it as well. After a couple months it is now the -5/1 or -4/1 that it should be. Seems like the Halo plastic isn't providing much more stability? That or maybe the Halo plastic might beat in slower?

I threw a halo Mamba in the field last week. Not super beefy, but not really understable either. Something like 11, 5, -2, 2. Reminded me a lot of a slower Shryke or G* Corvette. Very long disc for speed 11. Basically it flew like a beat Wraith wishes it could.

That's a great analogy

The 170 Star Mamba I aced with was a wind fighter and flew like a -2/2 when I first got it as well. After a couple months it is now the -5/1 or -4/1 that it should be. Seems like the Halo plastic isn't providing much more stability? That or maybe the Halo plastic might beat in slower?

Good to know. I got a rotation of 2 so hopefully it prolongs that awesomeness

so i got the halo (f2) mamba and man is it a bomber. Its basically an overstable mamba, by mamba standards, so IMO, instead of 11/6/-5/1, its more like a 11/6/-3/1.5. Threw one of my longest throws on a hole i play frequently by about 40-50 ft. Ive played this course about 50x and even my crew was impressed almost confused. None of us have bombed that hole like that. In round, most of my longer drives on flat surfaces are about 320-340, this was closer to 380.

so i got the halo (f2) mamba and man is it a bomber. Its basically an overstable mamba, by mamba standards, so IMO, instead of 11/6/-5/1, its more like a 11/6/-3/1.5. Threw one of my longest throws on a hole i play frequently by about 40-50 ft. Ive played this course about 50x and even my crew was impressed almost confused. None of us have bombed that hole like that. In round, most of my longer drives on flat surfaces are about 320-340, this was closer to 380.

well i lost that one, got a 164 and it was too flippy, and went back and bought a 172.

Just wanted to say, all these halo colors have been really cool, from teh black and red to the blue and orange and now the pink edge swirly star purple, they all were some of they best looking IMO colorways for any innova disc and they were all f2s. the standard halo mamba has some kinda meh color choices