• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Mamba time!!

Right around a good noodle arm 300 ft.

You might want to give the Prodigy D3 a look. Fast, understable, and ridiculously long. I think even at 300' you might notice gains with it. I hyzerflipped it to about 450' on a couple occasions.

You might want to give the Prodigy D3 a look. Fast, understable, and ridiculously long. I think even at 300' you might notice gains with it. I hyzerflipped it to about 450' on a couple occasions.

I just might do that. I have a D4 and a D5 from a sale a while back. D4 was okay, if I recall; D5 has a groove, not the Groove/Monarch atrocity but I didn't like it.

I'll look at the D3, or might the X-class discs be better? I'm becoming less enamored of the Speed 13 rims; heck, I'm trying to go from 12 to 11 range discs due to the rims.

I just might do that. I have a D4 and a D5 from a sale a while back. D4 was okay, if I recall; D5 has a groove, not the Groove/Monarch atrocity but I didn't like it.

I'll look at the D3, or might the X-class discs be better? I'm becoming less enamored of the Speed 13 rims; heck, I'm trying to go from 12 to 11 range discs due to the rims.

I'm not familiar enough with Prodigy to really tell you what the differences in discs are. The D3 I have is an X out. Normal rim. Its wide, probably speed 13. Crushingly long disc.

May be because I'm such a noodle arm, but Champ Terns do all right for me in headwinds. We're not talking about hurricane-force winds, of course.

I also usually do try to throw something a bit more OS, like a Lucid Sheriff, into the wind. This is something I've been working on to complete my bag: a main driver and a headwinds compliment to it.

So pair your Terns with something like a lighter Star Wraith or something like it. Basically what I do for this case is GStar Destroyers for my main driver with a Star for headwinds.

On a side note the Champ Mamba I have won't really hyzerflip, but won't fly from a flat release without turning and burning. I've stopped bagging it I'm favor of a Champ Sidewinder that was more controllable. When I see my buddy who throws like 4 Mambas, I will have to see if mine is a freak or if most Mambas act that way for me.

So pair your Terns with something like a lighter Star Wraith or something like it. Basically what I do for this case is GStar Destroyers for my main driver with a Star for headwinds.

On a side note the Champ Mamba I have won't really hyzerflip, but won't fly from a flat release without turning and burning. I've stopped bagging it I'm favor of a Champ Sidewinder that was more controllable. When I see my buddy who throws like 4 Mambas, I will have to see if mine is a freak or if most Mambas act that way for me.

I'm with you on the Champ Sidewinders. I have a couple, and I also have a couple of Falchions, which are very similar. The Falchion flies very well for me.

I've been pairing my Tern with the Sheriff, and that's done okay. If the S-CD3 works out, I'll pair it with the Champ Tern (or Hannal Leaterman Star Tern). I have an F2 Star Wraith and a Blizzard Wraith, and I like my Krait better. Krait is a good (and underrated) disc.

The Sidewinder is a mellower disc than the Mamba. Less high speed turn. Its still flippy, just not as violently so as the Mamba.

The real allure of the Mamba is speed and distance. The Sidewinder simply isn't as fast as long as the Mamba.

The Sidewinder is a mellower disc than the Mamba. Less high speed turn. Its still flippy, just not as violently so as the Mamba.

The real allure of the Mamba is speed and distance. The Sidewinder simply isn't as fast as long as the Mamba.

The funny thing is I replaced SWs with Mambas in my bag because the champ SWs I was throwing were beat to hell pfn ones that are as flippy as Mambas, but more controllable. Just too big of a headache to need a super beat disc.

Anyone know what the flight difference is between a domey and a flatter Star Mamba is?

I was pawing a few of these the other day and they had both.

Anyone know what the flight difference is between a domey and a flatter Star Mamba is?

I was pawing a few of these the other day and they had both.

Flatter Mambas tend to not glide as well as domey ones. They also fade out quicker.

I'd personally look for a domed Mamba. They're great understable bombers.

Thread revival> I got a 150 g star the other day, and the first couple times throwing it. It's been a surprisingly easy touch disc for 200, 250 foot stuff for both fh and bh. Good rip with control, and the thing moves. This might move into the space my td2 has been occupying.

Back in 2013, I accidentally had the craziest freak throw with a champ Mamba. It was supposed to be a touch hyzer flip to flat, about 350 diagonal across a field. Instead it flipped over, got under a bit of tailwind, sailed over the basket, over the fence, across their property and smashed into the corner of the neighbor's garage and carried another 50 feet into the shrubs. Utterly unrepeatable, but I still think about it to this day.

Back in 2013, I accidentally had the craziest freak throw with a champ Mamba. It was supposed to be a touch hyzer flip to flat, about 350 diagonal across a field. Instead it flipped over, got under a bit of tailwind, sailed over the basket, over the fence, across their property and smashed into the corner of the neighbor's garage and carried another 50 feet into the shrubs. Utterly unrepeatable, but I still think about it to this day.

The Mamba is definitely capable of such freak shots. I don't throw them often, but I've gone over 450' with Mambas. You need absolutely the right wind conditions to really bomb the Mamba without flipping it into the ground. Star Mambas with dome are the best ones for sheer distance.

I'd put the Nuke SS in the same boat. I can get one miraculous 450'+ bomb with it followed by a whole bunch of flips into the ground.

i think the mamba is my favorite disc. Its stupid, doesnt work well in winds, is fairly unpredictable but i love it for all those reasons. ive been playing seriously for 6 months(about 100 rounds/i work at night) and all my longest throws are via mamba. Threw a roller 500 ft on accident and those are the accidents i love. I lost my 150g star mamba(looked about 3 hrs for that on 2 days) but i threw it in 420ft by udisc and ive got nothing closer to that than 330ft with a Wraith.

Its the mystery box of discs, 2 outta 10x might give you great throws and 2-3 might really suck but sometimes you just wanna roll the dice.

Currently have a f2 at 177g, a star at 160g and a champion(165-9) is on the way

Convinced my nephew to grab a champ mamba yesterday and he turned over a 300 ft drive on a long par 5 and ended up birdie'ing an extremely difficult hole(we almost always bogey the hole and a par is generally a win for us). I told him about its magical powers and it was nice to see it work out to my description.

is it for everyone? no. is it fun to have around for hot windless days to watch it fly all kinds of crazy, but hopefully your max distance? hell yes.

all hail the magic Mamba!

Interesting old thread for sure. I was looking to fill an under stable slot with an appropriate Innova product and saw the Mamba on the rack of our local store. Ended up grabbing a 175 Star Mamba. (the plastic is weirdly super pliable compared to my other Star discs). Holy crap. Like others have said, I've never thrown a golf disc further than I threw this thing on it's first round. Insane. It's like having a crapload of free extra distance.

I have a green Champion Mamba and I hate the color. I'm colorblind and it was the only color available. Does anyone recommend a certain plastic that might be better? This disc is just used for max distance, tailwind and anhyzer shots.

I have a green Champion Mamba and I hate the color. I'm colorblind and it was the only color available. Does anyone recommend a certain plastic that might be better? This disc is just used for max distance, tailwind and anhyzer shots.

If you want absolute max distance and glide from a Mamba, look for a star with dome. Avoid anything flat.

The Mamba may only be speed 11, but it'll hang with much faster drivers for sheer distance.

If you want absolute max distance and glide from a Mamba, look for a star with dome. Avoid anything flat.

The Mamba may only be speed 11, but it'll hang with much faster drivers for sheer distance.

I know the speed. I usually don't touch distance drivers because I throw the Volt as far as anything faster with similar ratings. The Mamba is the only disc that I can outdrive the Volt with consistently. I like how Star plastic feels. I'll look into picking one up.

Threw a couple Mambas for the first time this week and loved them. Both were Star in the low 170s and clearly not new, but I'm not sure how beat in they were. I'm hoping to snag a couple fresh ones, and trade for one of the Stars that I tried (the other was an ace disc and thus not up for trade). My only complaint is that neither had a whole lot of dome, and I strongly prefer domey understable discs.

Which plastics tend to mold up with the most dome in this mold? I'm assuming G* is nearly board flat because that's been my unfortunate experience with them in all other molds. Any consistent difference between Champ and Star?

Which plastics tend to mold up with the most dome in this mold? I'm assuming G* is nearly board flat because that's been my unfortunate experience with them in all other molds. Any consistent difference between Champ and Star?

Don't throw them these days, but I used to throw Mambas so I have a small stack (1 Gstar, 4 Stars, 2 Champs IIRC). My experience was Gstar was flattest, Star in between and Champs were a bit domier than Star -- I'd have called the Star 3/6 on the OTB dominess scale and the Champs a 4/6. My one Gstar was 2.5 or 3.

One of my Champs was an I-Dye and that thing was sweet -- nice reasonable dome, great plastic feel, great stability, flew like 11/6/-2/2. Felt and flew like a longer, stable Sidewinder. Loved it. Might have stuck with the mold if I could have found more like that one.

If you didn't already know, be very careful throwing the Mamba in windy conditions (great in a tailwind of course). They can't even handle a small headwind in my experience, that's why I gave them up.

A few years ago, a friend gave me a Champ Mamba in the 150's. I was skeptical at first...mostly cuz I put too much belief in the flight #s.. :\

Although it's not much good in almost any wind, it's not nearly as flippy as I thought it'd be, and it's become one of my main go to's.