• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

man made obstacle opinions please

AM I missing something here, or has the actual idea of planting trees been eliminiated? Seems to me the best, long term, and most natural way to accomplish what you are going for

Tyler State Park and a course I played outside of Charlottesville, VA have some stacked wood on the sides of the fairways that worked with the courses I thought.

Round bales.
Large round bales of hay.

I've always thought these would be good instant obstacles on a featureless course, especially in a rural setting. I've thought about getting some, myself. They're moveable---easily with the right equipment, but can be rolled by hand with some effort---so can easily be put right where you want them, or moved around. And they're cheap---at least, in our rural area, they are.

this would be cool for the first year or so, but bales of hay will decompose & then just be lumps of hay. they also attract mice & snakes. would be a good protection for newly planted trees.

Round bales.

I've always thought these would be good instant obstacles on a featureless course, especially in a rural setting. I've thought about getting some, myself. They're moveable---easily with the right equipment, but can be rolled by hand with some effort---so can easily be put right where you want them, or moved around. And they're cheap---at least, in our rural area, they are.

i have plenty of them and the equipment to move them and have come close to using them at HH for events many times but it seems i always have something more productive to do.

this would be cool for the first year or so, but bales of hay will decompose & then just be lumps of hay. they also attract mice & snakes. would be a good protection for newly planted trees.

That's wildlife habitat.

I bought some for another purpose once---though I called them hay bales, they were actually wheat straw, which may be more durable. The ones I didn't use, lasted and were in my way for a pretty long time. But it's very true that they would be temporary.

i have plenty of them and the equipment to move them and have come close to using them at HH for events many times but it seems i always have something more productive to do.

Well, you seem to have enough landscape features to make do without them.

We do, too, though we had one hole that could use some enhancement, and considered straw bales. Ultimately, we planted a row of Crepe Myrtles. During this summer's drought I spent a lot of time hauling water to them to nurse them through, which I wouldn't have done for bales. In the long run, the trees will be better; but the straw bales would have been quicker.

We would also have use for round bales after they start to break down---for mulch and erosion control.

didn't read all the comments - but I've seen plenty of courses that have lost their "Signature" tree on a hole. It's sad but it should be replaced either with a new tree, or a post. If you placed 1, 2, or 3 of these near the tee and near the basket, you could easily shape multiple shots. I'm also envisioning a christmas tree shape for some good width with minimal boards. /|\ shape bolted at the top should do great!

Round bales.

I live beside a hay field and have had the same thought, be cool to stack 3-4 of them on top of each other. :thmbup:
-----------------------------------------
I want to see a basket on top of a jungle gym, like this:

junglegym2.jpg

I live beside a hay field and have had the same thought, be cool to stack 3-4 of them on top of each other. :thmbup:

I never thought of stacking them. It's a good idea. Though you'd have to be careful that no one tried to climb them, to get a disc, say, and pulled the top one down. They're heavy enough to hurt.

You could also build a little pyramid with 4 of them, 3 on the bottom and 1 on top, that would make a decent-sized obstacle, and be stable.

Hmmmm......coming next to Stoney Hill?

Thank you everyone for your suggestions, I really appreciate it. I would LOVE to plant trees but it is NOT an option. We are in severe drought here in northwest NV n the county already turned me down on planting trees.
I thought about used telephone poles awile back but that takes quite a bit of work, finding someone to transfer them to the park, finding someone with the equipment to dig very wide n deep hole for them, and some areas of the course you just cant get equipment like that into.

I really like the large round hay bale idea altho most farmers here in the valley do the smaller rectangled bales.

I also thought about the fake Christmas trees as well. I will start checking craigslist n goodwill for some of those.

In the meantime I went ahead n cemented in a 4x4 by 12ft post a couple days ago on 1 hole. Im going to put the fence boards on it tomorrow n when I have finished I will post some pics n see what everyone thinks about it before I do anymore.

Thanks again everyone!

Mike

I never thought of stacking them. It's a good idea. Though you'd have to be careful that no one tried to climb them, to get a disc, say, and pulled the top one down. They're heavy enough to hurt.

You could also build a little pyramid with 4 of them, 3 on the bottom and 1 on top, that would make a decent-sized obstacle, and be stable.

Hmmmm......coming next to Stoney Hill?

Yeah, you could get all sorts of cute with them. Didn't think about anyone climbing them though, my big fear was being knocked over by wind. Figured something like rebar would work to anchor them together.

I was looking at a hop yard earlier this week and thought it would make a cool hole. Just telephone poles in rows basically, but depending on the angle of your shot through, nearly endless different routes you could hit. would be expensive though.

I'll take a pic tomorrow to post.

I was looking at a hop yard earlier this week and thought it would make a cool hole. Just telephone poles in rows basically, but depending on the angle of your shot through, nearly endless different routes you could hit. would be expensive though.

I'll take a pic tomorrow to post.
fd184653.jpg

In farm country?

Old implements, tractors, tanks, bins, fence, coops, ect...

Not an obstacle.. A favorite man-made feature at a local course is an old baler. It is partially buried as a backstop behind a basket. Protection against an often marshy part of a stream from a bad over-ranged approaches shooting downhill.

-----------------------------------------
I want to see a basket on top of a jungle gym, like this:

junglegym2.jpg

Funny, the Spinski's Original Course (Kzoo area) has a basket inside one of those. He removed 2-3 bars for a slightly larger opening so you can step in and retrieve your disc. Pretty fun putting from outside the jungle gym. :D