• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Axiom] Mayhem: 23mm Distance Driver

I had a bunch of tourney credit at a local disc shop, so stopped in and picked up a 172 proton octane based on your input. Wind was 10-12mph today so good to test. Threw mayhem flat and it turned quite a bit and never fought back, octane stayed almost straight and nice fade at end. Good call, I think these two discs can handle most every general shot. Great disc and complement to the mayhem!!

I also picked up a proton crave and matrix to play with. I can tell I'm going to love that crave, awesome control disc both BH and FH.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

The Crave has been a staple of my bag since before they released to the public. It's such useful mold. Like you I'll use it FH and BH pretty equally. Once they break in and develop some more high speed turn, they can do some crazy lazer beam lines thrown with a bit of hyzer. Tons of glide too, they keep up with my distance drivers surprisingly well in the field.

I've been having problems with the neutrons. I grabbed 2 neutrons and a proton. I LOVE the proton. It has that beautiful slight turn out of the box but consistent fade. It's been great for hitting lines. I would not try and throw this for pure hyzers though, it has too much stretch in the middle portion of it's flight.

That being said, for some reason I can't get the neutrons to do anything consistent. They seem to have that problem of having a magical amount of turn/fade where I either hit it and it ends up hyzering or I go too hard and it flips. I don't know, they just don't gel with me the same way the proton does. Anyone else have this problem?

Funny, I had the opposite happen. My neutrons were predictable straight flying discs with some turn and fade, but a proton I received was flippier.

Mayhem

Tossed a Mayhem for the 1st time today. Neutron. Not sure what weight, probably high 160s. The disc has a pretty wide, shallow rim. Its fast and was actually more stable than I thought it would be. The Mayhem needs to be thrown hard or it will simply fly glidelessly, stall, and die. However, it also had this annoying problem that if you got a little too aggressive throwing it it would flip over and burn.... hard.

That aspect miffed me a bit. It was like every time I felt like I really laid into the Mayhem it would turn and burn. Every time I slightly underthrew it the disc would fly listlessly and stall.

I actually did have some good throws with the Mayhem. It isn't quite as touchy as a Nuke SS. It reminded me quite a bit of an Octane, but slightly flippier. I had 1 beautiful throw where everything worked perfect and the Mayhem went an easy 430'.

All the good throws I had with the Mayhem were fairly straight. Not the big S curve flexes I was expecting. For whatever reason my Mayhem would NOT flex well. Every time I tried to get it bend right it would keep going right into the ground.

This disc pretty much reminds me of a Nuke or Boss, but more prone to random flipping. Its very fast and the distance potential is there. I was pretty wild with mine today and didn't feel like I really dialed it in well. Finicky driver and hard to get a good feel for it.

Mayhem: 13, 5, -2, 2. It has somewhat above average glide and a pretty neutral late fade. Not an astounding driver by any means. Long, but all over the place. My Shryke was still beating it for distance fairly easily.

Tossed a Mayhem for the 1st time today. Neutron. Not sure what weight, probably high 160s. The disc has a pretty wide, shallow rim. Its fast and was actually more stable than I thought it would be. The Mayhem needs to be thrown hard or it will simply fly glidelessly, stall, and die. However, it also had this annoying problem that if you got a little too aggressive throwing it it would flip over and burn.... hard.

That aspect miffed me a bit. It was like every time I felt like I really laid into the Mayhem it would turn and burn. Every time I slightly underthrew it the disc would fly listlessly and stall.

I actually did have some good throws with the Mayhem. It isn't quite as touchy as a Nuke SS. It reminded me quite a bit of an Octane, but slightly flippier. I had 1 beautiful throw where everything worked perfect and the Mayhem went an easy 430'.

All the good throws I had with the Mayhem were fairly straight. Not the big S curve flexes I was expecting. For whatever reason my Mayhem would NOT flex well. Every time I tried to get it bend right it would keep going right into the ground.

This disc pretty much reminds me of a Nuke or Boss, but more prone to random flipping. Its very fast and the distance potential is there. I was pretty wild with mine today and didn't feel like I really dialed it in well. Finicky driver and hard to get a good feel for it.

Mayhem: 13, 5, -2, 2. It has somewhat above average glide and a pretty neutral late fade. Not an astounding driver by any means. Long, but all over the place. My Shryke was still beating it for distance fairly easily.

you yeah need to try a max weight neutron. Some discs come out weird but if you find the right kinda Mayhem its the best driver ever . It glides, slight turn, distance machine. I gotta put out my full review because its a disc I think a lot of people need to know about

you yeah need to try a max weight neutron. Some discs come out weird but if you find the right kinda Mayhem its the best driver ever . It glides, slight turn, distance machine. I gotta put out my full review because its a disc I think a lot of people need to know about

Oh, I definitely plan to throw the Mayhem some more. Yesterday I was simply unable to figure out the proper release to maximize flight with it. I can absolutely see the distance potential. I just need to figure out how to flex the Mayhem out consistently.

I need to throw the Octane more too. I have 2 Octanes, and the last time I threw one it did the same thing.... lots of random flipping on hard releases.

Some discs you can learn quickly, some not. I think the Mayhem will take a little work to get the hang of. The Shryke definitely did for me.

I have a plasma, good glide for a 'speed 13'. Hands down the longest flying disc in my bag but there isnt really any long/open fairways around here that i have a chance to use it on. throwing it at the park is fun though, i can get it to 500' sometimes.

I find the mayhem useful when i dont really need to be accurate, but want the max distance i can get. At my max power i get a long turning phase that isnt flippy but drifts over quite a bit if im not careful and a forward fade that extends distance even more.

It is not for parking a hole at 500' accurately that's for sure, to me its designed for a prolonged high speed flight to maximize distance.. which is exactly what i use it for, expected, and wanted when i bought it.

For me the Mayhem is interchangeable with a teleport because the teleport has a little more predictable/OS flight in field testing that i prefer but not getting any more distance than the mayhem... depends on the wind conditions i suppose

Last edited:
I about 8 mayhems. a couple plasma (tho I sold one) and rest all Neutron Max weight Mild dome, one flatter . A couple are hooked under and look more like a Tenacity. Of the MAyhems that I've thrown there is one type that flies amazing. I have about 5 of those right now. If you find the one that just 'feels right' the flights are great, super control, Its not too hard to figure out, once you do its amazing. not too sensitive to angle really I find it a more consistent Shryke type disc, but more reliable on stability also. IDK like I said I have a couple that are flippy a couple domey, but the rest are $$$$$$$$$$$$

Just picked up a Plasma 172 to support my local Pro. I already have am Octane 173 that I am throwing 350 with zero turn (I can throw my Max weight Wave 360 on a hyzer flex line). Its rainy so I can't test yet, will this thrown flat minic what I can throw my Wave does?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Just picked up a Plasma 172 to support my local Pro. I already have am Octane 173 that I am throwing 350 with zero turn (I can throw my Max weight Wave 360 on a hyzer flex line). Its rainy so I can't test yet, will this thrown flat minic what I can throw my Wave does?

The plasma and neutron Mayhem i have thrown were pretty beefy, like almost Octane beefy.
Only Mayhems that i have thrown that are true to the -2 turn are the Protons.

At least it'll be easier to find in the woods than a red Octane

The Proton I had was like a better feeling Wave, a touch of turn and a late biting fade.

The plasma and neutron Mayhem i have thrown were pretty beefy, like almost Octane beefy.
Only Mayhems that i have thrown that are true to the -2 turn are the Protons.

I've thrown several Mayhems in both plastics. For me they aren't quite as overstable as an Octane. I definitely get better distance with the Mayhem than the Octane. Octanes are hard to turn, and they don't like to hold a turn either. They're eager to fade.

The Mayhem can be a little touchy. It has -2 turn, but it isn't always easy to achieve. When you get a little over aggressive with the Mayhem it'll flip pretty hard. Great hyzerflip disc when you're looking to go 400'+. I've grown to like the Mayhem quite a bit more than I did initially.

The Mayhem is just a bit flippy to be a "workhorse" driver for me, but it can cover the understable slot pretty well.

The Proton I had was like a better feeling Wave, a touch of turn and a late biting fade.

The Mayhem takes power a lot better than a Wave. Waves will just flip all over the place when you really lay into them. The Mayhem will usually hold steady if you put some hyzer on it.

The Mayhem is simply a better driver than the Wave in every way.

I've thrown several Mayhems in both plastics. For me they aren't quite as overstable as an Octane. I definitely get better distance with the Mayhem than the Octane. Octanes are hard to turn, and they don't like to hold a turn either. They're eager to fade.

The Mayhem can be a little touchy. It has -2 turn, but it isn't always easy to achieve. When you get a little over aggressive with the Mayhem it'll flip pretty hard. Great hyzerflip disc when you're looking to go 400'+. I've grown to like the Mayhem quite a bit more than I did initially.

The Mayhem is just a bit flippy to be a "workhorse" driver for me, but it can cover the understable slot pretty well.

I've found that the Mayhem-- actually now that I think about it, not unlike a lot of other gyro-- has a really slow turn. I always have a tendency to release too flat because it looks great, but then just keeps turning a little further than I want it to. I know I'm really going to like the disc so I want to keep working with it, but it will force me to actually figure out my angles and throw more controlled power shots.

I've found that the Mayhem-- actually now that I think about it, not unlike a lot of other gyro-- has a really slow turn. I always have a tendency to release too flat because it looks great, but then just keeps turning a little further than I want it to. I know I'm really going to like the disc so I want to keep working with it, but it will force me to actually figure out my angles and throw more controlled power shots.

One thing I notice about gyro drivers is that they either turn fully over or not at all. Stuff like the Tenacity, Relativity, Catalyst, and Mayhem. Thrown hyzer all those discs sometimes stubbornly stay hyzer. Then you throw them flat and they just go dive bombing right. Take the Relativity for example. Its probably one of the 3 longest drivers I've ever thrown. When you get the right amount of turn on it nothing on the market can keep up. However, the Relativity has this annoying habit of either not turning at all, or dive bombing right. Seldom do you get that perfect flex flight out of it.

I guess my point is, you have to be pretty precise in your release angle to get the right amount of turn with those discs. You also have to take the wind into consideration. The Tenacity will bomb for days downwind, but if there's even a hint of breeze at your face the disc will flip over hard.

The last Mayhem I threw was a Proton, and I loved it. Perfect amount of turn, and it wouldn't flip all the way over. I was throwing at 100% power flat and the disc was flexing nicely out past 450'. All my other Mayhems are slightly flippier and more erratic.

Mayhem in my opinion is closer to a Catalyst than it is to a Wave.
I have a Mayhem and also a couple of Catalysts, but im not bagging them simply because I can get a Photon or a Wave to a similar distance with more consistency. With any wind gusts, those 13 speed understable drivers tend to turn too much. My Photons are much more reliable in all conditions and they are more comfortable to grip as well.

I cant can't get my Photon to not immediately start fading. It gradually fades them at the end dumps. My Octane I can throw for 80% straight the slight dump.

Mayhem in my opinion is closer to a Catalyst than it is to a Wave.
I have a Mayhem and also a couple of Catalysts, but im not bagging them simply because I can get a Photon or a Wave to a similar distance with more consistency. With any wind gusts, those 13 speed understable drivers tend to turn too much. My Photons are much more reliable in all conditions and they are more comfortable to grip as well.

I agree. Very similar discs there. Catalyst might be just a HAIR flippier than the Mayhem.

Neither one is ideal for headwinds of any sort.

Lil Bump for the Mayhem..

Looks like its gonna be Jamie Conrads max distance driver.
Cant wait to see one of these smashed.
2nd to last overmold to leave my bag. Not because of distance issues, just disced down for accuracy.

I feel these have the best combo of speed, stability, and control in the overmold lineup.

My fav were the Proton

Latest posts