• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Axiom] Tenacity: 23mm Distance Driver

The wave is a tick slower(maybe half a speed number) but imo is closest thing your gonna get to a tern from MVP. The next class up in speed is way more domey than your average tern and also a half speed faster. My plasma wave is pretty similar to g* tern I used to have in feel and flight. I have a Hall of Fame Classic N Wave that is a bit more OS than the production runs and would compare well with a fresh champ tern. None of the waves have the glide that the tern does, especially the G* I used to have. That thing just hung up there forever. My plasma does have some good glide though...

Last edited:
bsammons, does the Catalyst still get out there for noodle arms like the Tern? If so how does plasma compare to proton as far as flight characteristics for the Catalyst?

No idea as I usually only throw it for big D, but I've tried it on my forehand (I'm admittedly quite the noodle arm forehand) and it went pretty far. Further than wraiths and beat Destroyers did. Could just have been because it was less stable though... I've never tried to forehand a tern because it's so dang shallow.

The wave is a tick slower(maybe half a speed number) but imo is closest thing your gonna get to a tern from MVP. The next class up in speed is way more domey than your average tern and also a half speed faster. My plasma wave is pretty similar to g* tern I used to have in feel and flight. I have a Hall of Fame Classic N Wave that is a bit more OS than the production runs and would compare well with a fresh champ tern. None of the waves have the glide that the tern does, especially the G* I used to have. That thing just hung up there forever. My plasma does have some good glide though...

yeah I always looked at the wave as the MVP tern. given how a tern "should" fly anyway.

yeah I always looked at the wave as the MVP tern. given how a tern "should" fly anyway.

Terns are good discs but they definitely show differences plastic to plastic, and the Stars a little different disc to disc. Most of the champs I've seen were fairly consistent. Also, they kind of have that Lat "problem" of almost to much glide and therefore can get a little squirrely in the wind.

Editing some field throws right now. I really need an assistant for these field tests...too hard to follow the disc with no zoom.

Anyways, some text impressions:

Unsurprisingly, thrown flat with 500' of power it turns and burns.

Surprisingly, thrown with some hyzer and ~75% power I'm getting a pretty effortless 475'. I feel like I'm barely putting enough juice on them to break 400' and they just cruise, its pretty fun.

The weird part about this disc is throwing it at ~80% power VS ~100% power seemed to net me similar distance, with the harder throws swinging wider right. That's kind of unusual for me, usually when I back off power, distance drops. So that makes me think people with less arm speed will get surprisingly good results out of them.

I threw a few flicks when I was collecting them in the field and walking back to my tee pad. They were surprisingly controllable for my FH, though I'm a good ways off in distance compared to my BH. I'd throw them with a touch of hyzer and they'd flip to flat and drift a few feet to the left, then fade back reliably. I expected a bit more high speed turn on the forehand throws.

Thrown hard BH with a touch of anhyzer I was getting consistent backhand rollers in the 450' ballpark. It works really well for backhand rollers in general, it feels pretty forgiving.

Thrown with a deep hyzer release and backing off the power I could get them to hold hyzers without flipping all the way up to flat in the 400-450' range. Threw a couple 450-500' shots with a deep hyzer release and less than max power that'd flip up to flat, cruise, then fade out.

My understable max D slot has been kind of up in the air lately but I could see these taking that spot. I tried a Catalyst and Vanish recently, and I feel like I clicked with the Tenacity more for some reason.

Assuming the Panic flies as beefy as I expect it to, I think I'm going to end up rocking the Axiom max D trio. Panic, Mayhem, Tenacity.

I could see this being a good work horse max D driver for people with less D than me. It has turn, but even throwing it 550' I could manage how much it wanted to drift over to the right with release angles. I had a lot of fun powering them down a bit and giving them some hyzer, and watching them fly very controlled S curves.

I'll have a video up later tonight. Hopefully the disc is visible :/

Well like I said in my last post the filming quality is terrible on this. Not even worth watching on a phone, you can barely follow half the shots in HD full screen on a PC :/

I'll try to get out to the field with a friend next time so we can zoom in on these shots.

Have you ever tried a taller stand for the camera? A higher angle may help the ability to see them at distance, since you can get less of the sky in frame. Either that or try and find a place where the tree line is closer or taller. The TK vids are a good example.

Last edited:
Nice vid, as BB said I think a taller stand would help, as I lost most of the throws even on my work monitor (27"). That said I may have to grab one of these it looked like it could scoot for sure especially for a weaker arm like mine.

Have you ever tried a taller stand for the camera? A higher angle may help the ability to see them at distance, since you can get less of the sky in frame. Either that or try and find a place where the tree line is closer or taller. The TK vids are a good example.

I think the tree angle may not be the best solution, Mike throws it so dang far that he has to give it some good height to get the full flight out of a disc. High and far=no good for having trees in the background as they'd probably only be there for half the flight. Now that I think of it at the very least it could show some portion of the flight if there were trees but I feel like a higher camera angle would definitely be the easiest/most probably solution

I do have another tripod that extends another foot. It's really heavy so I don't use it on the course but for something like this it might work better. Maybe prop it up on something too.

Editing some field throws right now. I really need an assistant for these field tests...too hard to follow the disc with no zoom.

Anyways, some text impressions:

Unsurprisingly, thrown flat with 500' of power it turns and burns.

Surprisingly, thrown with some hyzer and ~75% power I'm getting a pretty effortless 475'. I feel like I'm barely putting enough juice on them to break 400' and they just cruise, its pretty fun.

The weird part about this disc is throwing it at ~80% power VS ~100% power seemed to net me similar distance, with the harder throws swinging wider right. That's kind of unusual for me, usually when I back off power, distance drops. So that makes me think people with less arm speed will get surprisingly good results out of them.

I threw a few flicks when I was collecting them in the field and walking back to my tee pad. They were surprisingly controllable for my FH, though I'm a good ways off in distance compared to my BH. I'd throw them with a touch of hyzer and they'd flip to flat and drift a few feet to the left, then fade back reliably. I expected a bit more high speed turn on the forehand throws.

Thrown hard BH with a touch of anhyzer I was getting consistent backhand rollers in the 450' ballpark. It works really well for backhand rollers in general, it feels pretty forgiving.

Thrown with a deep hyzer release and backing off the power I could get them to hold hyzers without flipping all the way up to flat in the 400-450' range. Threw a couple 450-500' shots with a deep hyzer release and less than max power that'd flip up to flat, cruise, then fade out.

My understable max D slot has been kind of up in the air lately but I could see these taking that spot. I tried a Catalyst and Vanish recently, and I feel like I clicked with the Tenacity more for some reason.

Assuming the Panic flies as beefy as I expect it to, I think I'm going to end up rocking the Axiom max D trio. Panic, Mayhem, Tenacity.

I could see this being a good work horse max D driver for people with less D than me. It has turn, but even throwing it 550' I could manage how much it wanted to drift over to the right with release angles. I had a lot of fun powering them down a bit and giving them some hyzer, and watching them fly very controlled S curves.

I'll have a video up later tonight. Hopefully the disc is visible :/

I'm kinda thinking I'm gonna end up with the Axiom trio for distance as well. Throwing the Mayhem after release was wondrous. Can't wait to try the Tenacity and the Panic. It's funny. I really liked the photon and wave, but ended up liking the defy and vanish better. Liked the inertia, like the insanity far better.

I'm kinda thinking I'm gonna end up with the Axiom trio for distance as well. Throwing the Mayhem after release was wondrous. Can't wait to try the Tenacity and the Panic. It's funny. I really liked the photon and wave, but ended up liking the defy and vanish better. Liked the inertia, like the insanity far better.

I've had a similar experience. I'm biased towards Axiom discs since they show up better while filming, so if they're comparable to the closest MVP mold I tend to always bag them.

I'm surprised how much people slept on the Defy. Until the Octane & Mayhem came out I was using them as my go to distance driver. I feel like its the disc everyone wanted after the Photon & Wave came out and there was a fairly big stability gap between the two. Workable in the high speed phase of flight with a consistent fade that isn't as dumpy as the more overstable Photon. I've had some of my better throws with the Defy.

I've had a similar experience. I'm biased towards Axiom discs since they show up better while filming, so if they're comparable to the closest MVP mold I tend to always bag them.

I'm surprised how much people slept on the Defy. Until the Octane & Mayhem came out I was using them as my go to distance driver. I feel like its the disc everyone wanted after the Photon & Wave came out and there was a fairly big stability gap between the two. Workable in the high speed phase of flight with a consistent fade that isn't as dumpy as the more overstable Photon. I've had some of my better throws with the Defy.

I bag two Defy. A 157 punk, and a 167 proton. What surprises me is that I actually see more turn from the 167. My 157 is straight to fade, every time, even in head winds. My 167 gives me a bit of high speed turn and then reliably fades back to just past center every time. The octane and catalyst were just not reliable for me. The Mayhem, with what few throws I had before coming down with pneumonia, is everything I wanted an octane to be. Nice tight s shots when thrown flat. Dead straight to fade with a bit of hyzer, and holds a fantastic hyzer line with just a bit more angle.

These are officially in my bag. The more I throw them the more I find uses for them. Been a while since I've had this much fun throwing an understable mold...most my discs are straight to overstable since I flick and backhand pretty evenly.

The Octane class is at a tweener stage for my arm. I threw the Tenacity on several full powered drives, anny, hyzer, straight, and it performs well. It's stable, straight, and like the Mayhem, not as understable as expected. I was putting it out to about 300', but that took all my "might." The Relativity was easier to get that distance out of.