• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

McBeth Will Not Be Playing USDGC?

brutalbrutus

* Ace Member *
Did I miss this discussion? I looked around but couldn't find anything. On this weeks AnhyzerTV podcast they said he was given a timeline by his doctors that he could either start the season early and have to end it in August or start later and play the rest of the season. His ankle injury being the issue.

He decided to start now and play thru Ledgestone. Which means he will miss out on Iron Hill, Music City, Maple Hill, GMC, USDGC and the DGPT finale.

Kind of hard to believe I am the first person to bring this up.

They talk about it briefly starting at 3:30...They showed a still image of his Instagram with his explanation but I can't seem to find it...

Last edited:
Could be but he should follow his docs advice. Sucks if he doesn't get to plays those great events but he's got to look out for his future first and foremost. Can't say I really blame him wanting to start now. I know how I got sitting around with all the ankle injuries I've had and wish I wouldn't have pushed to get back so soon a couple times. My ankle is probably permanently damaged at this point.

Keep the brace on and be careful on those jump putts around obstacles...

Has anyone had any type of injury that a Dr said - "Don't rest now, when much closer to when the actual incident occurred, but later after doing the thing that hurt you for 6 months THEN rest it again"??

I've broken/strained/tore way too many body parts in the last 40 years or so and never heard of anything close to this. Interested to see if anyone else ever has.

Has anyone had any type of injury that a Dr said - "Don't rest now, when much closer to when the actual incident occurred, but later after doing the thing that hurt you for 6 months THEN rest it again"??

I've broken/strained/tore way too many body parts in the last 40 years or so and never heard of anything close to this. Interested to see if anyone else ever has.

I think it was an either or situation not a don't rest now situation. From what I've read, it seems he can't really make the injury worse, so when thinking about both 2020 season and 2021 season, his options were play the front half-ish of the season and then shut it down, get his rest/surgery if needed, and he'll have plenty of time to heal for 2021 or shut it down now and miss most of 2020.

This path allows him to play most of the big events in 2020 and be ready for 2021 vs coming back late in 2020 and having to get his groove back when everyone else is already in mid-season form.

I think it was an either or situation not a don't rest now situation. From what I've read, it seems he can't really make the injury worse, so when thinking about both 2020 season and 2021 season, his options were play the front half-ish of the season and then shut it down, get his rest/surgery if needed, and he'll have plenty of time to heal for 2021 or shut it down now and miss most of 2020.

This path allows him to play most of the big events in 2020 and be ready for 2021 vs coming back late in 2020 and having to get his groove back when everyone else is already in mid-season form.

That's probably it. The last time I needed shoulder surgery, my ortho gave me a similar option. Whenever we do the surgery, we'll fix whatever else is wrong (at the time, we knew from a previous MRI I had at least a rotator cuff tear). I played three more months of baseball, dislocated the shoulder (non-throwing) virtually every game because I played with reckless abandon because I was planning on the surgery at the end of the year, no matter what. Somewhere I have a picture of the aftermath of me diving around the catcher where you can see my shoulder out of socket.

At the end, I had surgery. Torn rotator cuff, torn labrum, torn AC joint and detached biceps. I missed six weeks of work (and I have a desk job). You can probably guess at what point in the story I wish I had made a different decision

Last edited:
If hes playing hot like he has, wins everything like he is wont to do, I wonder how well he can honor the deal and call it off when supposed to. But yeah seems funny how they can see into to future like that.

If hes playing hot like he has, wins everything like he is wont to do, I wonder how well he can honor the deal and call it off when supposed to. But yeah seems funny how they can see into to future like that.

All he cares about the most is worlds I'm sure, if he gets his 6th he will be content, especially if he wants to return next year for his 7th

Paul has always been hot and cold about the USDGC.
When his Discraft negotiations were heating up in 2018, he won the USDGC.
When he was trying to win all the majors in 2015, he won the USDGC.

It's Worlds he REALLY wants.
He always heats up for Worlds.
Paul likes to win, but he's also concerned about his brand.
More Worlds establishes his brand.
The USDGC title means a LOT inside the disc golf community, but Worlds is what drives sales with the casual player and in the big box retail space.

Paul has always been hot and cold about the USDGC.
When his Discraft negotiations were heating up in 2018, he won the USDGC.
When he was trying to win all the majors in 2015, he won the USDGC.

It's Worlds he REALLY wants.
He always heats up for Worlds.
Paul likes to win, but he's also concerned about his brand.
More Worlds establishes his brand.
The USDGC title means a LOT inside the disc golf community, but Worlds is what drives sales with the casual player and in the big box retail space.

Yeah because World Disc Golf Championships Pro, is a thing that actually is used to drive sales, USDGC for a beginner is a tough sell as you need to know what it is. World Disc Golf Championships is an easier sell as it is something one can undersand even if they have never played disc golf. Also just based on age, USDGC is only 20 years old and Worlds dates to 1979 right at the begging of the PDGA.

I think that when August comes around, he is going to reevaluate the ankle health and make a decision to shut it down or keep playing, probably skipping less important tournaments either way.

By playing now, he has the option to keep going later and/or blaming his injury if he starts slow. If he rests now, he can't do either of those things later.

I agree 100% with those who say he's laser focused on another Worlds title. Especially with Worlds so early in the season, gotta get the competitive eye dialed in as quickly as possible. It'll be interesting to see how early he goes to Utah to start practicing the courses.

Anyone taken a look at what manufacturers are the lead sponsors and looked at how well Mcbeth has played those courses as possible factors in understanding his tour plan?

Playing early allows for him to play Memorial, Ledgestone and DGLO. Also allows for a ramp up to Worlds. Looks like he would only miss Green Mountain (Discraft sponsored) by playing earlier. I would have to think Discraft wants him to maximize appearance at their events.

Playing early allows for him to play Memorial, Ledgestone and DGLO. Also allows for a ramp up to Worlds. Looks like he would only miss Green Mountain (Discraft sponsored) by playing earlier. I would have to think Discraft wants him to maximize appearance at their events.

Maybe he plays until LIO and then rests until GMC? He dominated GMC last year and tied the course record on Brewster Ridge (almost aced 18 for the record score), as well as launched the Malta there. Idk if he will play GMC, but I hope he does.

Now this is probably a long shot in the dark here, admittedly, but maybe in the 2nd half of the season he's more likely to be on a card with Dustin Keegan and he's doing his best to avoid that. You can't count out the possibility due to Paul's attention to details.